[WIP] [1.8.1] KAE SYSTEMS Welded Parts

adm-frb

@adm-frb First off, in your first MODEL node, you do NOT want to nest anything else in there

You also dont want to use rescaleFactor *INSIDE* the MODEL node... that goes OUTSide the brackets, and should just be nested under the main PART { } module. If you want to scale ONLY the model, and not the attach nodes, you use 'scale =' INSIDE the MODEL node... If you want to rescale the whole model AND the attachnodes with it, then you would use the 'rescaleFactor = ' OUTSIDE the MODEL node.

Edited by Stone Blue

33 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@adm-frb First off, in your first MODEL node, you do NOT want to nest anything else in there

You also dont want to use rescaleFactor *INSIDE* the MODEL node... that goes OUTSide the brackets, and should just be nested under the main PART { } module. If you want to scale ONLY the model, and not the attach nodes, you use 'scale =' INSIDE the MODEL node... If you want to rescale the whole model AND the attachnodes with it, then you would use the 'rescaleFactor = ' OUTSIDE the MODEL node.

Sorted

Service Module is functional. Could you check my node positions?

Also, in the VAB, when I select the service module with the move tool, the move widget appears way, way, way below the part. Thought it should appear around the middle. Think it's connected with the nodes

qQ0OWRB.png

Service Module config

Edited by adm-frb

11 minutes ago, adm-frb said:

Service Module is functional. Could you check my node positions?

You have *two* nodes named 'node_stack_top = ' in the same PART { }... they need to be uniquely named. You can actually name nodes just about anything you want after the 'node_stack_' / 'node_attach_' part... its just "top/bottom" nodes are included in 99% of all parts, so peeps just use those the most.

Also, I suggest NodeHelper (LGG version) for sorting nodes. Just note that it wont accurately give you coords, for things that are 'rescaleFactored' to anything other than 1 or 1.25. Again, 'scale = ' INSIDE the MODEL { } node wont be an issue with this, cuz that only scales the *model*, and doesnt affect the nodes. 'rescaleFactor = ' sclaes the model, *AND* the nodes with it.

Just now, Stone Blue said:

You have *two* nodes named 'node_stack_top = ' in the same PART { }... they need to be uniquely named. You can actually name nodes just about anything you want after the 'node_stack_' / 'node_attach_' part... its just "top/bottom" nodes are included in 99% of all parts, so peeps just use those the most.

Also, I suggest NodeHelper (LGG version) for sorting nodes. Just note that it wont accurately give you coords, for things that are 'rescaleFactored' to anything other than 1 or 1.25. Again, 'scale = ' INSIDE the MODEL { } node wont be an issue with this, cuz that only scales the *model*, and doesnt affect the nodes. 'rescaleFactor = ' sclaes the model, *AND* the nodes with it.

How the {bleep] did I get three nodes? I only made two...

Already using node helper

58 minutes ago, adm-frb said:

Got the top and bottom node fixed, but move tool widget is still way, way below the part

see pic. Should be roughly centred on the service module

Well, it looks like you are positioning the models between 14m and 11m, *above*, their origin points in the cfg.... the widget, IIRC, defaults to the model's origin point... ie 0,0,0

Edited by Stone Blue

22 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Well, it looks like you are positioning the models between 14m and 11m, *above*, their origin points in the cfg.... the widget, IIRC, defaults to the model's origin point... ie 0,0,0

Repositioning the models

Done...

Edited by adm-frb

On 3/7/2020 at 12:30 PM, adm-frb said:

Doing a little work on a different part. An Apollo-ish Orion Service Module

xgIUQGj.png

As you can see, I've a couple issues. The adapter model is showing overlapping textures when it should just be the metal variation. And the model at the bottom needs to be scaled down to 1.875m from the 2.5 it is currently. It has no active modules yet, but will eventually be categorised as an engine. still got two models to weld in before I start adding active modules, giving it everything a SM needs...

Config on Github

Try specifying a texture path for the model that is causing the overlap and/or possibly remove the stock variant switch code. I dont think it and the weld mod created models work well together. Your other part looks fine andnit doesnt contain any such code. 

Edited by Jesusthebird

1 minute ago, Jesusthebird said:

Try specifying a texture path for the model that is causing the overlap and/or possibly remove the stock variant switch code. I dont think it and the weld mod created models work well together. Your other part looks fine andnit doesnt contain any such code. 

:) Thanks, but I did manage to sort that I'm not actually using the weld mod. I'm doing it all by hand 

ZW9Jy0f.png

Phoebus Service Module

fpxNRXB.png

uIPDlHG.png

This part is done. A few changes carried out over the last few days. I changed the engine to a slightly scaled up version of the 'Torch' from RestockPlus

I have also integrated Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer, Monopropellant, a Fuel Cell, Electric Charge and TACLifeSupport

Config

Think it's ready for an initial release

• 2 months later...

Begun work on a new engine...

GMENdW9.png

Description for the engine is as follows

When KAE Systems made the decision to develop their own rocket engine, they began looking around, and found what appeared to be a used engine with four nozzles that appeared to have fallen off a Krussian rocket. Taking it apart, our engineers quickly got to work on building a better more powerful engine. Instead of steering through the use of gimbals, it uses reaction wheels to steer.

No real functionality, yet but as you can guess, it will contain some similarities to the KV-7 Kodiak, be more powerful and steer through integral reaction wheels

Models welded so far: Restock FL-TX440 Fuel tank, FL-XA15 Adapter from Restock, and the Restock Poodle

I'm aiming for this to be more powerful than the KV7, but less powerful than BDB's RD-180 analogue with around 820 kNs of thrust at sea level 

1 hour ago, adm-frb said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't. That's why I started this mod. See the very first post...  :(

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Last version that I know that UBIO worked on was 1.4.5

The mod works on 1.8.1 - I use it.
Ubio does not work on MM versions higher than 3.1.3, but if you put MM 3.1.3 on KSP 1.8.1, then everything will weld perfectly.
Yes, maybe MM 3.1.3 is considered not suitable for 1.8, but for the entire time of the game I did not notice problems with the game or with many installed mods.

I have a version of UBIO Welding that is compiled against KSP 1.9.1, and works, with the current version of ModuleManager.  Right now the only issue is that you have to manually reload the MM database after returning to the Space center

I'll have to see if I can get it to reload automatically before I release this, even in a very unofficial manner

6 hours ago, Cochies said:

The mod works on 1.8.1 - I use it.
Ubio does not work on MM versions higher than 3.1.3, but if you put MM 3.1.3 on KSP 1.8.1, then everything will weld perfectly.
Yes, maybe MM 3.1.3 is considered not suitable for 1.8, but for the entire time of the game I did not notice problems with the game or with many installed mods.

[Cough]. Other mods which depend on later MM versions, and come packaged with said later version, don't work with previous MM versions. Also, if I leave said previous version of MM present, then the newer version of MM delete's said older version creating a Catch-22. 

1 hour ago, adm-frb said:

[Cough]. Other mods which depend on later MM versions, and come packaged with said later version, don't work with previous MM versions. Also, if I leave said previous version of MM present, then the newer version of MM delete's said older version creating a Catch-22. 

Not all mods shipped with MM 4 really require MM 4.
Maybe you can find one. Maybe not.
I did assembly 1.8.1 with MM 3.1.3 and 9GB mods (including with several linuxgurugamer mods) and could not break it.
Maybe I was not persistent enough)))

15 hours ago, Cochies said:

Not all mods shipped with MM 4 really require MM 4.
Maybe you can find one. Maybe not.
I did assembly 1.8.1 with MM 3.1.3 and 9GB mods (including with several linuxgurugamer mods) and could not break it.
Maybe I was not persistent enough)))

No, but if a problem occurs, the first question is, what version of mods are  you running, and, if not running the latest, the answer is to get the latest before asking for help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.