First Space Station Milestone

I'm in the later stages of my game for the No Contract Career challenge, which relies on achieving milestones as the only source of income. According to lists that I've seen and a screenshot in the challenge thread there is a milestone for "started construction of the first space station" for each of the bodies (next to bottom on list in image).

PFLzRY1.jpg

Early in my game I put together a two part station in Kerbin orbit that I thought had the requisites of a station (an antenna, can generate power, space for 5 kerbals), but I didn't chalk up the milestone. Since then I've just ignored that potential milestone and the cash it would bring.

So the question is, what are the requisites for unlocking that milestone?

Edited by purpleivan

Just now, The Aziz said:

I suppose it's the vessel type? Whatever it is, as long as it's marked as station, it should trigger the milestone.

The idea had occured to me and I thought I'd checked that, but I'll take another look.

It's be quite annoying if it's that simple :)

Thanks for the suggestion @The Aziz but I've now tried changing the naming type of the station to "Station" but the game doesn't recognise it as one in terms of milestones. I think it's just used for identification purposes for the player, rather than gameplay affecting in career.

I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this soon, as I'm going to be sending vehicles to Tylo, Laythe and Pol as the next step in my career game and I'd like to pickup the cash for the "start constructing station" milestone for each.

37 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm pretty sure you get it when you dock two vessels. Don't know if both have to be crewed.

When I went looking for posts about this a few minutes ago, I found an old one (2015) that said just that. Probably I've been picking up these miletones earlier when docking without thinking about picking up the station milestone, but miss the notification for it. Then later I'd dock something else, not get the milestone and think something was wrong.

On 3/7/2020 at 4:29 AM, purpleivan said:

Early in my game I put together a two part station in Kerbin orbit that I thought had the requisites of a station (an antenna, can generate power, space for 5 kerbals), but I didn't chalk up the milestone.

By chance did you dock two vessels on the surface? I know I've encountered the docking and construction milestones whenever I've joined two separately launched craft together, even if one was from the runway and the other from the launchpad. So you might have accomplished this milestone earlier.

3 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

By chance did you dock two vessels on the surface? I know I've encountered the docking and construction milestones whenever I've joined two separately launched craft together, even if one was from the runway and the other from the launchpad. So you might have accomplished this milestone earlier.

No definitely not done that, no docking done on the surface. The only places that I've deliberately tried to get the station milestone were Kerbin and Mun orbit and in both cases I probably made a docking before my attempt to put together a station.

My confusion came out of thinking that the "station" milestone had more requirements (simlar to those for a contract station) than simply docking two ships, so I was picking it up when it wasn't expected and not noticing.

Edited by purpleivan

I don't recall ever getting the "Station" milestone in any instance other than the "first docking" milestone. But I will admit (even though I run the no-contract career challenge) to never paying enough attention to know for a fact that they are essentially the same milestone as far as requirements are concerned.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.