TweakScale Companion Program - 2024.02.20.0

Lisias

TweakScale Companion is a series of "Add'On's Add'Ons", adding TweakScale /L support for third parties, but decoupling the target Add'On's life cycle from TweakScale's , easing maintenance and distribution efforts.

The ÜbetPaket is a mega package including all Companions currently published for the lazy installers. This package is updated sparingly, the Companion's repositories (listed below) will always be updated with the latest versions - and are still the canonical way to have everything up to date.

In a Hurry:

Currently, the following Companions are available:

Current Companions

Gold Status

Alphas, Betas and Release Candidates

Spoiler

The following Companions are not more, and should not be used anymore

• TweakScale Companion for AirplanePlus
    • incorporated on TSCo AirCrafts
  • TweakScale Companion for NAP
    • incorporated on TSCo AirCrafts

And more to come!

Licensing Terms

Spoiler

Unless specified otherwise, all Add'Ons on this post are double licensed as follows:

• SKL 1.0.
    • You are free to:
      • Use : unpack and use the material in any computer or device
      • Redistribute: redistribute the original package in any medium
    • Under the following terms:
      • You agree to use the material only on (or to) KSP
      • You don't alter the package in any form or way (but you can embedded it)
      • You don't change the material in any way, and retain any copyright notices
      • You must explicitly state the author's Copyright, as well an Official Site for downloading the original and new versions (the one you used to download is good enough) 
  • GPL 2.0.
    • You are free to:
      • Use : unpack and use the material in any computer or device
      • Redistribute : redistribute the original package in any medium
      • Adapt : Reuse, modify or incorporate source code into your works (and redistribute it!) 
    • Under the following terms:
      • You retain any copyright notices
      • You recognise and respect any trademarks
      • You don't impersonate the authors, neither redistribute a derivative that could be misrepresented as theirs.
      • You credit the author and republish the copyright notices on your works where the work is used.
      • You relicense (and fully comply) your works using GPL 2.0
      • You don't mix your work with GPL incompatible works.
    • If by some reason the GPL would be invalid for you, rest assured that you still retain the right to Use the Work under SKL 1.0.
  • You have the option to choose the license that best suits you (when applicable).

See the project's README.md for details.

Notes

ALPHA means Companions terribly new and unstable, with features that can be added, changed or removed on every release. Don't use on "production" (i.e.,serious gaming).

BETA means Companions nearly feature complete, but not 100% reliable yet. Bugs are expected and will be fixed on demand, but no current features will be changed or removed otherwise. While being possible to use these on "production", you may find bugs on the gaming and the fix of some of them may render your savegame problematic.

* Release Candidate (RC) means the last stage before going gold. Only bug fixes are applied (if any), nothing will change otherwise. These releases are supported the same way Stable ones, they just are not widely published yet.

* You can follow what I'm doing (or planning to do) on the github issue tracker.

Edited by Lisias
TweakScale Companion 2024.02.20.9 (The ÜberPaket) is on the wild! All your Distribution Channels are belong to us!

21 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

Still didn't understand what it does @Lisias

Sure you know what Tweakscale is, it's an AddOn which provides part scaling ability. Stock parts, MH parts are supported within this AddOn.

In the past Part Scaling of other AddOns was often embedded in the TweakScale AddOn. Over time, more and more AddOns were integrated to Tweakscale. This leads to a major issue: maintaining Tweakscale is as much improving the core code than supporting the configuration files for other AddOns. If we consider the situation we have.

• Tweakscale core which provides the ability.
  • AddOns for which users would like a support for TweakScale.

Does it have to be Tweakscale to take the burden of this support? We think no. Does it have to be the other AddOns' author to take the burden of a TweakScale support? Well they could but they often don't want to.

What Lisias put in place is a field so that contributors willing to add a stone in the KSP gameplay can take a part of this burden and help him concentrate on what TweakScale support should be first: managing compliancy with every KSP new release and adding functionnalities whenever ModuleManager evolves.

This is precisely what Tweakscale Companion is: a sort of a shelf which contains books, each book adding a TweakScale support to an AddOn.
At the moment the NFS patch is a kind of template book for everyone wanting to add a Tweakscale support. Lisias will provide licence&distribution, the author provides and maintains its patches.

Edited by DarkNounours

1 minute ago, DarkNounours said:

Sure you know what Tweakscale is, it's an AddOn which provides part scaling ability. Stock parts, MH parts are supported within this AddOn.

In the past Part Scaling of other AddOns was often embedded in the TweakScale AddOn. Over time, more and more AddOns were integrated to Tweakscale. This leads to a major issue: maintaining Tweakscale is as much improving the core code than supporting the configuration files for other AddOns. If we consider the situation we have.

• Tweakscale core which provides the ability.
  • AddOns for which users would like a support for TweakScale.

Does it have to be Tweakscale to take the burden of this support? We think no. Does it have to be the other AddOns' author to take the burden of a TweakScale support? Well they could but they often don't want to.

What Lisias put in place is a field so that contributors willing to add a stone in the KSP gameplay can take a part of this burden and help him concentrate on what TweakScale support should be first: managing compliancy with every KSP new release and adding functionnalities whenever ModuleManager evolves.

This is precisely what Tweakscale Companion is: a sort of a shelf which contains books, each book adding a TweakScale support to an AddOn.
At the moment the NFS patch is a kind of template book for everyone wanting to add a Tweakscale support. Lisias will provide licence&distribution, the author provides and maintain its patch.

Oh I got it. Thanks!

So do I have to update All Tweak?

25 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

Oh I got it. Thanks!

So do I have to update All Tweak?

You will need to check with the All Tweaks Maintainer to be sure. 

IIRC All Tweak overrides the Default TweakScale patches, but I don't remember what it does when a patch is not supported yet by TweakScale, nor when it became supported later...

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2020 at 4:02 AM, OnlyLightMatters said:

Hi @Lisias. Is it normal that the Tweakscale companion for ReStock+ is not listed in CKAN?

No. I need to list it on CKAN, but I got lost in the turbulence from the last weeks. I'll will do it on WeekEnd, assuming nothing bad happens again around here. Sorry.

-- POST EDIT -- 

Found some bugs on some Companions, I decided to get rid of them before CKANing them! Stay tuned, I will do it soon!

Edited by Lisias
post edit

Announce

The TweakScale Companion Program is expanding.

We have two new Companions:

• TweakScale Companion for KIS
  • TweakScale Companion for SMCE

Be aware that Alpha and Beta releases are to be considered unstable, with patches and interfaces prone to change over time (almost a sure on then Alpha releases). Use with discretion.

The TweakScale Compantion for NFS was repacked into TweakScale Companion for NF, where all the Near Future Add'Ons will be supported, due pressures from RL that will limit my time to to spin up new Companions.

-- -- -- POST EDIT -- -- -- 

I forgot to release the latest TweakScale 2.5, needed by KIS. I will do it by night.

Edited by Lisias
post edit

Hi community.

I am working on a new TS Companion release for ReStockplus 1.1.0 as this last version brought many many parts. especially for KSP games not running Making History.
Tests are on going to ensure no flaws affects the part scaling of these new parts. Stay tuned.

1 minute ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Hi community.

I am working on a new TS Companion release for ReStockplus 1.1.0 as this last version brought many many parts. especially for KSP games not running Making History.
Tests are on going to ensure no flaws affects the part scaling of these new parts. Stay tuned.

Sounds good. Will you be working on the companion for NF, as the NFLV update brought a lot of stuff.

TweakScale Companion for KIS (ALPHA)

• Adds (up to date) TweakScale /L patches for Near Future Add'Ons.

TweakScale Companion for NF (BETA)

• Adds (up to date) TweakScale /L patches for Kerbal Inventory System (KIS).

@Lisias you have some descriptions above mixed up a little. :wink:

5 minutes ago, Dave7 said:

@Lisias you have some descriptions above mixed up a little. :wink:

Closed/Fixed! :)

27 minutes ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

Sounds good. Will you be working on the companion for NF, as the NFLV update brought a lot of stuff.

I hope he can help of them, KIS gave me some trouble, KAS is bitting me in the SAS and I still have that Kraken Damned bug on the Editor to overcome. :)

29 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Should I postpone the CKAN entry until there?

Edited by Lisias
Brute force post merging

I updated the KIS Companion (see OP) once I published the TweakScale 2.5.0.11 Beta (that provides a bunch of convenience methods).

Now the Containers have two different rules with different costs and weight if you choose to increate the number of slots or not.

But I think I need to rethink how to scale the attachment points. :)

81129234-1c9a0900-8f1a-11ea-8057-bf07f3d

17 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

You have to know that I don't make the cfg files for restockplus myself but with a program I have written. You can find the code here.
It analyses a folder in GameData looking for part definitions, then upon several rules based on how the part is named, it determines which scaling method and behaviour should be applied.
ReStockplus has good naming rules which are reliable so automation can be built on this strong basis. The best of them is that every partname starts with "restock".

That IMHO is what every modder should do, prefix his/her parts with something relevant to the AddOn name to ensure there will be no conflict with other AddOns.
The program I wrote have been designed to work this way. Basically it looks for parts named

<AddOnPrefix>-<some>-[words]-[describing]-[the]-[part]-[size1]-[size2]-[variant]

My plea for KSP2 : build a team of modders and make workshops to build a strong AddOn governance based on the best practices and their valuable experience.

The only manual tasks I do are making a diff between the previous version of the cfg file and the new one, check how the new rules are applied and correct my code if new keywords for which no rule can be applied appear.
Then I run the game and check the scaling behaviour of these new parts with their default size, plus a bunch of the "old" parts for non-regression purposes.

So, let me be clear on my commitment to the Tweakscale Companion program. If an AddOn can reach this kind of requirement, it can be handled by automation. Because to me there is no added value to write cfg files (with hundreds of rules) like a robot. In french we say "p i s s e r du code". Pee code.

I've tested my program against NFS and I was quite surprised by its behaviour, so I believe my program could do more with a few adjustments. But if we take the whole Near Future suite in a single TSCompanion AddOn, well there is a lot of work of cfg checking and game tests for the initial release, assuming each NF AddOn reaches the requirements for Automation.

At the moment, I have no plan for NF, I even don't know all NF AddOns and parts (I personnaly only use NFSolar and  NFSpacecraft) so if by your question you kindly ask me to support NFx in TS, I must first check compliancy & assess the work to be done. 

17 hours ago, Lisias said:

Should I postpone the CKAN entry until there?

Yes that would be a good idea :D I hope I will make a new PR by tomorrow.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

8 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

@Lisias i understand your very busy but is this warning something i should be concerned with

[WRN 18:21:54.603] 1 warning related to GameData/TweakScaleCompanion/NFS/patches/000_CleanUp.cfg

Humm.. Sounds like a mishap of mine. Something on the cleaning up patch is borking - by luck, on NFS case it's not something to concern you, but it's something to concern me, because I should write my patches correctly. :/

In time, the NFS Companion was deprecated, I decided to shove all NF support on a single Companion. Ok, the Current NF Companion supports only NFS for while... :P 

I will check the parch on the NFS submodule of NF, I remember changing some things and perhaps I already had fixed that. I will come back to you soon.

-- POST EDIT --

@Virtualgenius, I think I nailed it this time. Please try the newest version:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScaleCompanion_NF/releases

So..

Announce

Pre Release 0.0.2.0 for TweakScale Companion for NF BETA (with NFS patches) are on the wild. Download on the OP (and at some lines above).

Announce 2
(I'm saving on posts!! :sticktongue:)

Release 1.1.0.0 for TweakScale Companion for ReStock+, updated to ReStock+ 1.1, is on the wild! Download on the OP (or https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScaleCompanion_ReStockPlus/releases ).

SpaceDock entry and CKAN will be available by night (or tomorrow morning, depending on how my day will behave... :P )

Edited by Lisias
post edit 2

I made a tour of all Near Future AddOns.

• Near Future Construction : no prefix for partnames
  • Near Future Electrical : no prefix for partnames
  • Near Future Exploration : prefix = nfex
  • Near Future Launch Vehicules : prefix = nflv
  • Near Future Props : multiple prefix like NF_<foo>_
  • Near Future Propulsion : no prefix 
  • Near Future Solar : prefix nfs
  • Near Future Spacecraft : no prefix

Exploration / Launch Vehicules / Solar may be handled by my program with little effort.
The others need a code improvement on regex matching to split a partname in keywords it can use to detemine which scaling method/behaviour should be applied to the part being analyzed.

I saw many part names that could easily create conflicts with new potential stock parts :/

1 hour ago, OnlyLightMatters said:
  • Near Future Props : multiple prefix like NF_<foo>_

Props are meant to be used on IVAs, I don't think TweakScale is useful (or desirable) on them.

• Near Future Solar : prefix nfs

This one is already implemented. I have a regex script that build a list of parts from configs inside a directly hierarchy and sort them into a ALL_PARTS. Them I diff the ALL_PARTS from the previous version with the current to see what's new.

This way, I don't need to care about prefixes - mainly because I don't use wildcards on my patches to prevent disasters (TweakScale can be a rancorous beach :P when bad patched), so in the end the lack of prefixes doesn't bothers me..

But a new part is always eye balled manually for any change that could bite me, or for some opportunities for improvement. The new way to scale Containers on KIS was born this way.

• Near Future Spacecraft : no prefix

Most parts from this one came from Mark IV Spaceplane, that was "skimmed" some time ago. The fuselage remained on MKIV, but the parts that could be used on other fuselages were moved to NFSC.

I saw many part names that could easily create conflicts with new potential stock parts :/

Oh, yeah. This is a potential trouble maker. But not the only one, I got my SAS utterly bitten once by a patch that used the Author as a criteria of patching, and when the original Author gave the meshes to another Add'On, Hell broke loose on TweakScale. :P

On 5/8/2020 at 12:03 PM, Ciko said:

Please add support for this mod when you have time RealEnginesPack 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/171335-realenginespack-201-close-010418/

Sure thing! It may take a bit, but it will not be forgotten! :)

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScaleCompanion/issues/1

-- -- -- POST EDIT -- -- -- 

This was implemented on the TweakScale Companion for Rockets. See announce here.

Edited by Lisias
Implemented! :)