How many boosters do you use (if any)?

Vectura

Boosters  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How many boosters do you typically use (if any)

• No boosters, a single powerful core
    • A pair of powerful boosters alongside a reasonably powerful core
    • 3+ boosters with a weaker core
    • Something else entirely (kraken drives perhaps?)

[snip]

All of my launch vehicles for the last several years (since Scott Manley's "Reusable Space Program" series began and influenced me) have been reusable SSTOs, be that planes or rockets similar to the Starship booster. Since doing a SpaceX-style suborbital boost is impractical without the relatively recent specialized mod, I typically lean toward larger launchers than strictly necessary so that they can get their payloads directly into a desired parking orbit. They also usually include a lot of reaction wheels and an ungodly number of parachutes to ensure soft landing even after every last drop of fuel gets burned putting the payloads in space. For very small payloads I use a plane, and if the payload is bigger than my largest single booster can handle (currently around 200 tons) I divide it up and assemble it in space. For very special payloads such as my latest Jool-5 mothership hull, I just assemble engines and whatever tanks are needed along with a huge scaffold of struts into a custom launch cradle thing and then send a series of cleanup ships to parachute the pieces out of orbit afterward.

Edited by Vanamonde

From Kerbin? Usually none. Liquid or bust, and usually all in a single stack. Go full Von Braun's Ferry if I must.

From extraplanetary launchpads? Shrimp SRBs are just great for getting ships with exotic (i.e. hothothot engines) away from the surface facilities before they light up their main drive. Same sort of stuff as we saw for that Orion-drive craft in that KSP2 trailer, if you will.

Edited by Axelord FTW

For large launches I have this problem that I end up needing the largest boosters but then I need to set the fuel at half(ish) on it. The smaller ones do not seem to burn fast enough for my taste. And I rarely do more than 2. I launch small stuff with SSTO lately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.