convert science and funds to reputation

hi, I've completed the technology tree, so now I no longer need science points and I'd like to convert them into reputation.
So, as soon as I have the science points needed to setup it(Setup Cost: 2000), I'd like to activate the "Open-Source Tech Program" strategy, with a 100% commitment.
Like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d82qodgsobzk30/Screenshot 2020-03-09 19.03.18.png?dl=0

I also want to convert funds into rep by activating the "Appreciation Campaign" strategy, with a 100% commitment.
Like so: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejj4rbk9quo5d6a/Screenshot 2020-03-09 19.03.15.png?dl=0

The doubt I have is: after activating the "Appreciation Campaign" strategy, I think my funds will no longer increase,
and sooner or later, funds will decrease due to ships costs and I will no longer be able to launch any ships. Is this correct?

So if for the science points is ok to use the 100%, it isn't for funds.
The problem is: how to determine the highest commitment percentage to setup, in order to have enough funds to launch future ships?

Edited by antipro

4 hours ago, antipro said:

I think my funds will no longer increase,
and sooner or later, funds will decrease due to ships costs and I will no longer be able to launch any ships. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.

One thing you may need to take into account is a bug that may still exist. At level 3, the Admin building sometimes doubles your commitment from what you try to set. So if you try 100%, it may tell you that's impossible (because that's really 200%). If you try 50%, it may double it to 100%, which is what you want. (Please try it, and let me know if the bug still exists.)

Converting funds to rep is extremely inefficient. I'd say, set the commitment way down at something like 10%. Then, whenever you want to get rid of some funds, do a one-time conversion instead. And you can be certain you will always have enough funds to launch.

Edited by bewing

1 hour ago, bewing said:

Converting funds to rep is extremely inefficient. I'd say, set the commitment way down at something like 10%. Then, whenever you want to get rid of some funds, do a one-time conversion instead. And you can be certain you will always have enough funds to launch.

Why this is true is because rep is a sliding scale. When you have 0 rep and gain 1 rep, you actually gain 1 rep. When you have 50% rep and gain 1 rep, you gain less than that 1 rep (I don't know the exact number but let's say it's 0.5 for this example). When you have 90% rep and gain 1 rep, you get even less (say, 0.1).

So if you slowly gain rep in small trickles, those trickles get lower and lower each time. If you save it up and buy it all at once, you get it for the better cost because your rep is lower.

Like if you gained 10% rep at a time 10 times, you'd gain 10%, then 9%, then 8.1%, then 7.3% (or whatever) and in on the last gain of "10%" you'd actually only gain 3.8% and end up with about 65 rep. If You saved up all of that rep until you had 100% to spend, you'd go right to 100%

Also important to note: Rep is basically a garbage stat. If this was an RTS it'd be the stat you sacrifice to up your strength or dexterity.

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 hours ago, bewing said:

(Please try it, and let me know if the bug still exists.)

With admin building level 3, I've tried with 25% and the Active Strategies Tab says 25%, not 50%.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmqcuuht9fd3egc/Screenshot 2020-03-10 02.14.11.png?dl=0

About my doubt, forget it: as you can see, after activate the "Open-Source Tech Program" strategy, the "Appreciation Campaign" strategy cannot be activate due to conflict.
I could convert funds to science(Outsourced R&D), but I suppose that converted science isn't used to generate reputation.

2 hours ago, bewing said:

Then, whenever you want to get rid of some funds, do a one-time conversion instead.

The "Effective Immediately" conversion "funds to rep" doesn't exist.
Conclusion, if I got it, I can convert only science gained from contracts and from field work into rep, but I can't do nothing with funds. Right?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Why this is true is because rep is a sliding scale.

like a logarithmic scale?

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Rep is basically a garbage stat.

doesn't reputation affects "Contracts Prestige"?

edit: I've activated the "Appreciation Campaign" before the "Open-Source Tech Program" and there are not conflicts anymore... weird but true...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8irqibgrx3x8jb0/Screenshot 2020-03-10 03.01.07.png?dl=0
therefore is possible to convert funds and science to rep.
Maybe I can wait to gain a lot of funds, like 20 millions or more and start the strategy at 100%, then when I see the funds are close to finish I can just de-activate the strategy.

I've also noticed that I can't activate "Appreciation Campaign" at 100% until I reach 750 rep
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uv7zrruh0t7g21k/Screenshot 2020-03-10 02.59.53.png?dl=0

Edited by antipro

28 minutes ago, antipro said:

I don't know if it's actually logarithmic but yes. It's set so that - other than the granularity of it - you can't get to 100%.

29 minutes ago, antipro said:

doesn't reputation affects "Contracts Prestige"?

Yes but as far as I can tell, once you can see 3-star contracts any extra rep is useless.

14 hours ago, antipro said:

Technically, it's asymptotic, which means that the closer you get to 100%, the more difficult it is to get even closer yet to 100%, with the end result that you will never reach 100%.  It's much like how it is not possible for an object with mass to pass or even reach the speed of light in reality.

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, antipro said:

edit: I've activated the "Appreciation Campaign" before the "Open-Source Tech Program" and there are not conflicts anymore... weird but true...

Ticket #28664 created. I ran into this problem to, but already bought the Open-Source option first so I'll just stick with that for now as the Bail-out option is more efficient anyway.

EDIT: Oops. Bail-out is the opposite of what I first thought it was. You sell reputation for money.

Edited by jclovis3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.