right. So, I’ve been playing KSP since I was like, idk, in 0.23 I think. I played it for years... then put it down in 1.4.4. When I got back, everything changed. 1.6 was out, KSS was cancelled, etc. I was out of the loop. So I got back into the game... until 1.8 when my computer broke. And now... a lot of stuff happened. Negative got more team members, KSP2 was announced. 1.9 was out. And that’s fine. But... KSP2 worries me. Again, I saw lil KSP grow up, giving parts nicknames, adding asteroids, part variation, DLC, and then KSP2 steals the spotlight. And then Squad is obviously like other games, forget that the first video game I ever played exsisted. It’s... sad. So, sorry, but the hype train left me at the last stop. KSP2 seems amazing! But I just can’t bear it. Y’all are gonna have to be patient with this fellow forum member. Thanks for reading this long drawn out post. Like if you agree I guess...

If my first favorite video game was still around instead of any successors, Elite Dangerous would look like this.

0210.png

Change is good, frequently. We fear it and it's not ALWAYS good, but it is good more often than not.

Also, KSP isn't (reportedly) going anywhere and no one can uninstall it from your computer except you (and hackers with mad skillz I suppose)

Truth told I'm less hyped about KSP2 than I was a while back too. The main reason is KSP 1.9.1. There are still a few annoying gremlins (the symmetry bug, grrr) but overall it's just really good -- the things that most annoyed me are gone, the new shaders look super nice, and mods like Scatterer slot in more cleanly too. With the garbage collection hiccup gone and craft that mostly stay put when parked, I'm a pretty happy camper at this point.

KSP2 has to be a lot better, or a lot different, for me to really get hyped about it. It's not enough if it's just a cleaner, shinier KSP with interstellar travel, new toys, and base-building. It would need whole new systems of mechanics, a completely overhauled, much richer and more engaging career mode, or something even more impressive to do that for me.

38 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

KSP2 worries me

I am very optimistic about KSP2, I have to say!

I won't be buying it, but KSP2 will, once and for all, relieve the pressure and allow KSP to move into a richly-deserved retirement to be the niche game it's always intended to be, with only the super-loyal, dedicated fans who truly love it as it is (without e.g. "Gatling guns").  I have no doubt it will still receive the love and care it deserves from talented people, regardless of $$$ and thus will not stagnate.  (More likely, actually, that KSP2 will suffer the fate of blending into a legion of familiar games, fading away, undistinguished).

KSP is not my first game but I'm old enough to say that it stands a very good chance of being my last.

21 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

The main reason is KSP 1.9.1

Great marketing job, Prof. B!  I'm going to (finally) give it a test drive right now!  :)

Edited by Hotel26

46 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

And then Squad is obviously like other games, forget that the first video game I ever played exsisted. It’s... sad. So, sorry, but the hype train left me at the last stop. KSP2 seems amazing! But I just can’t bear it.

Squad hasn’t stopped developing KSP 1, and they even said that they wouldn’t stop, so, why are you so worried? KSP2 will be amazing, we have seen that already in the trailers and the gameplay footage, and the limited amount of things in the Dev story.

10 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Squad hasn’t stopped developing KSP 1, and they even said that they wouldn’t stop, so, why are you so worried? KSP2 will be amazing, we have seen that already in the trailers and the gameplay footage, and the limited amount of things in the Dev story.

people will leave ksp1. it’s the human way. The biggest problem is that KSP2 seems so. Absolutely frickin amazing. My god. Even if Squad says so I don’t believe it. Pick me up at the SwSh DLC hype train.

10 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

Truth told I'm less hyped about KSP2 than I was a while back too. The main reason is KSP 1.9.1. There are still a few annoying gremlins (the symmetry bug, grrr) but overall it's just really good -- the things that most annoyed me are gone, the new shaders look super nice, and mods like Scatterer slot in more cleanly too. With the garbage collection hiccup gone and craft that mostly stay put when parked, I'm a pretty happy camper at this point.

KSP2 has to be a lot better, or a lot different, for me to really get hyped about it. It's not enough if it's just a cleaner, shinier KSP with interstellar travel, new toys, and base-building. It would need whole new systems of mechanics, a completely overhauled, much richer and more engaging career mode, or something even more impressive to do that for me.

yeah, but the differece between you and me, is that I was never hyped.

13 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

people will leave ksp1. it’s the human way. The biggest problem is that KSP2 seems so. Absolutely frickin amazing. My god. Even if Squad says so I don’t believe it. Pick me up at the SwSh DLC hype train.

It’s not like there will still be people. Yeah they are gonna leave ksp1, no biggie, cause no multiplayer, or anything like that. I will probably go in between the two games a lot.

Don't worry about KSP2 - it will be what it will be.

Frankly, I do not see what all the fuss is about. KSP and KSP2 are two totally different games, much like Civilization III and Civilization IV (or V and VI). There are a lot of games I own multiple versions of and I often bounce back between the games. Sure, the games may have some of the same features but there are differences in game play. There are differences in scenarios and objectives which at times, can be challenging and fun while at other times, those features seem more of a hassle.

I doubt I buy KSP2 for a while. The reason is because I truly am satisfied with KSP and even with it's limitations, it is challenging and rewarding on its own. Even with the new bells and whistles added to KSP2, it just doesn't capture my interests as has the original KSP.

Just my two cents.

Like others have said, I don't see what the problem is. KSP1 has had a VERY good run and has been supported far longer than I would have expected, but it also has some fundamental flaws in its core game design that are best fixed going forwards with a new game rather than continuing to try to update KSP1 forever and maintain save compatibility.

Also, it's not like KSP1 is going anywhere. People will still play it and modders will still mod it long after the devs have released the final patch.

On a related topic, I generally ignore hype. It's awesome KSP2 is being developed and it's fun to watch the trailers and I hope it's an amazing game, but at the end of the day it's not worth getting worked up about something like a game, especially since it will have 0 effect on what the devs ultimately deliver.

Surely people will leave KSP2, once it is available, which is now estimated for the end of Q1 2021. And with software development that means more likely after that, and certainly not before.

Which answers the question why Squad bothers with the game be ause there’s at least one year left in it, and at the current rate it means a 1.10 and likely a 1.11 version.

And even after that... the current KSP version flies in modest hardware. KSP2 will very likely behave more like a modern video game and require high end hardware. Meaning there’s a large chunk of players who might stick with 1.10 (1.11?) for a while because they are not ready to upgrade their hardware for it,

I hope KSP2 is going to be as good (or better) as promised but I think the current version has at least two years with a large player base in it left.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:20 AM, Brikoleur said:

I agree.

You are probably going to have plenty of company - my laptop is nearly 5 years old.  It was pretty good five years ago, but its showing its age.  It might still run KSP2, but I'm not holding my breath that it will run it better than KSP1.  I've seen a few others mention being in similar situations on here.  I haven't actually upgraded to 1.9 yet, but my 1.8.1 game definitely runs smoother than anything from 1.4 thru 1.7.3

And there isn't likely to be a replacement laptop in the near future - I mean, I had to go out and buy three thousand rolls of toilet paper and 27 cases of hand sanitizer, so I'm a little short of cash right now.  :cool:

On 3/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, adsii1970 said:

Don't worry about KSP2 - it will be what it will be.

Frankly, I do not see what all the fuss is about. KSP and KSP2 are two totally different games, much like Civilization III and Civilization IV (or V and VI). There are a lot of games I own multiple versions of and I often bounce back between the games. Sure, the games may have some of the same features but there are differences in game play. There are differences in scenarios and objectives which at times, can be challenging and fun while at other times, those features seem more of a hassle.

I doubt I buy KSP2 for a while. The reason is because I truly am satisfied with KSP and even with it's limitations, it is challenging and rewarding on its own. Even with the new bells and whistles added to KSP2, it just doesn't capture my interests as has the original KSP.

Just my two cents.

same

On 3/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, Kerbart said:

I hope KSP2 is going to be as good (or better) as promised but I think the current version has at least two years with a large player base in it left.

Personally, I think it has a lot left than just two years. With as easy as it is to mod within the game, I suspect there will be new mods for a long time. Also, think of the history of some of the older PC games. I still play Tropico (the original), Tropico 3, SimCity 4, and Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific. Each of those games are old in PC game time. Ten years from now, I predict we will still see folks playing KSP -the original version.

Its simply KSP. 1, 2 or 10. It doesnt matter as long as they are good. 

On 3/12/2020 at 7:02 PM, Cavscout74 said:

It might still run KSP2, but I'm not holding my breath that it will run it better than KSP1

There is a difference between badly optimized and demanding. Expect it to require more umpf. I know you are not saying this but sometimes I get the feeling people expect KSP2 to run on a potato because its better optimized. Not that it is. We have no evidence of that yet. 

On 3/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, HansonKerman said:

people will leave ksp1. it’s the human way.

You... do realize that there are several old games that still retain a massive fanbase to this day, right? Just because a new game is released, doesn't mean everyone suddenly abandons the old one.

For example, there're still a lot of people (myself included) who continue playing Fallout: New Vegas and modding it to this day, despite it having been released in 2010 and two entire new Fallout installments (Fallout 4 and Fallout 76) having been released since then. Most fans of the Mario & Luigi franchise also greatly prefer the original 2003 Superstar Saga and 2009 Bowser's Inside Story over their 2017 and 2019 remakes, to the point AlphaDream went downright bankrupt after releasing the 2019 remake because none of the old-school fans of the 2009 original wanted to play the remake. There are also several fans of Need for Speed that greatly prefer playing the old 1994-2006 installments over the more recent games, to the point the old games still retain an active modding scene to this day... really, I could go on and on.

Honestly, if anything, I really wouldn't be surprised if KSP2 actually flops and gets terminated early on due to the majority of the fanbase preferring the original game over the second. Humans tend to hate change in general.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:02 PM, Cavscout74 said:

You are probably going to have plenty of company - my laptop is nearly 5 years old.  It was pretty good five years ago, but its showing its age.  It might still run KSP2, but I'm not holding my breath that it will run it better than KSP1.  I've seen a few others mention being in similar situations on here.  I haven't actually upgraded to 1.9 yet, but my 1.8.1 game definitely runs smoother than anything from 1.4 thru 1.7.3

Oh, did they optimize the game? I haven't played KSP in a very long time (it was still in 1.4!) since it ran way too poorly in my computer, and I was waiting to be able to afford to get a computer upgrade before getting back into it. That's reassuring... but I still don't expect my puny lil AMD FX-6300 to be able to handle the game well ^^;

19 minutes ago, Commissioner Tadpole said:

Oh, did they optimize the game? I haven't played KSP in a very long time (it was still in 1.4!) since it ran way too poorly in my computer, and I was waiting to be able to afford to get a computer upgrade before getting back into it. That's reassuring... but I still don't expect my puny lil AMD FX-6300 to be able to handle the game well

They upgraded to a new version of unity with 1.8 and despite introducing a pile of new bugs - some fixed in 1.8.1, most of the rest in 1.9 I believe - it resulted in a game that runs smoother than it did in the 1.4 - 1.7 versions.  I don't have any hard data to share, just my opinion that it loads faster and runs a little smoother.  It's not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable and enough to make me abandon a 1.7.3 career that was just getting kerbals to other planets in favor of the new version.  And I know I probably could've moved the save over, but new major versions are usually my reason to start a new save.

19 minutes ago, Commissioner Tadpole said:

two entire new Fallout installments (Fallout 4 and Fallout 76

Does 76 really count though?  I don't think I've seen a single positive word about it anywhere  :o

Kinda sad too, as I've played Fallout since the first one.

Edited by Cavscout74

9 minutes ago, Cavscout74 said:

They upgraded to a new version of unity with 1.8 and despite introducing a pile of new bugs - some fixed in 1.8.1, most of the rest in 1.9 I believe - it resulted in a game that runs smoother than it did in the 1.4 - 1.7 versions.  I don't have any hard data to share, just my opinion that it loads faster and runs a little smoother.  It's not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable and enough to make me abandon a 1.7.3 career that was just getting kerbals to other planets in favor of the new version.  And I know I probably could've moved the save over, but new major versions are usually my reason to start a new save.

Does 76 really count though?  I don't think I've seen a single positive word about it anywhere  :o

Kinda sad too, as I've played Fallout since the first one.

Oh, neat! Still, I don't really think my current computer could handle 1.9, since it's already aging, and I was wanting to wait 'til I could afford a Ryzen 5 3400G CPU and upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM (versus my current 8 gigs) and an SSD anyway.

And yeah, but the point I was trying to make is, if KSP 2 fails like 76 did, people would overwhelmingly stick with KSP 1 anyway :P

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole