[1.12.4] OhScrap! (OHS) A ScrapYard (SYD) based Part Failure and Reliability Mod - 2.2.99.0-prerelease `<允许降落伞损坏>` edition [28 Dec 2022

zer0Kerbal

@zer0KerbalThank you for giving continued support for this amazing mod! I'm trying to get back into KSP after a long break, and this is a must-have mod. I am having an issue where I am getting spam throughout the Log however, and it is causing sever lag in cases when JNSQ is involved. I made a fresh install with only Oh Scrap!, Scrap Yard, and Module Manager, and the problem of spamming continues. Do you have any advice? Thanks!

Picture Evidence

Edited by dylsh

6 hours ago, Datdankwaifu said:

How do you do an EVA repair? I've had a short circuit on a malumute command section of a moon rover. Ive got an engineer onboard but whenever I try to click on the repair button in the context menu nothing happens.

I am also having this issue, and noticed there was an NRE in the log. I didn't capture it then, but I'll try and get a repro tonight. 

The mod seems to be forking fine, however I don't seem to have an icon on the Stock toolbar, it's just all white.  I've tried on two different installs and its the same thing. There is definitely a Icon.png in my install of a little explosion.

• 2 weeks later...

@zer0Kerbal,  I finally got around to getting a log for the issue where attempting to repair a part doesn't do anything. There is an NRE in the log for each attempt:

[LOG 05:46:45.770] [OhScrap]: Attempting repairs
[EXC 05:46:45.771] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    OhScrap.ModuleUPFMEvents.RepairFailCheck () (at <ff6d23eb118f4e0182b4a8802c697e52>:0)
    OhScrap.ModuleUPFMEvents.RepairChecks () (at <ff6d23eb118f4e0182b4a8802c697e52>:0)
    BaseEvent.Invoke () (at <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0)
    RemoteTech.Modules.ModuleSPU.InvokeEvent (BaseEvent baseEvent, System.Boolean ignoreDelay) (at <f874303228fc4dd4a4a51810517e0aa8>:0)
    RemoteTech.FlightComputer.UIPartActionMenuPatcher+EventWrapper.Invoke () (at <f874303228fc4dd4a4a51810517e0aa8>:0)
    BaseEvent.Invoke () (at <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0)
    UIPartActionButton.OnClick () (at <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke () (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke () (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press () (at <8485d97123094db9883b53b3349c2a3b>:0)
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData) (at <8485d97123094db9883b53b3349c2a3b>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (UnityEngine.EventSystems.IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData) (at <8485d97123094db9883b53b3349c2a3b>:0)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[T] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents+EventFunction`1[T1] functor) (at <8485d97123094db9883b53b3349c2a3b>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

Maybe related to RemoteTech somehow?  Not sure, might be totally unrelated. 

I'm on KSP 1.11.2, and I've tried OhScrap! versions 2.1.1.1 and 2.2.0.0. Full log file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmAxSBcQL19WnvoukqOS8usH3wpd3A?e=BrdDkv. If there is any other info you'd like, please let me know!

Edited by Zelda

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/27/2020 at 5:23 PM, jlcarneiro said:

Will repair kits be necessary to all fixes?

in the future - possibly can add an option to require repair kits (either consume or presence)  @Beetlecat  @jlcarneiro @physius

On 12/9/2020 at 10:24 AM, Faster said:

Some thoughts for whatever they're worth

excellent thoughts. Been mulling them over and is something I'd consider. Please drop by github and start a discussion and/or feature request. 

On 1/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, Nnimrod said:

How much work would it be to attach an explosion to a part failure event? Preferably with a MM configurable random delay. So when your SRB part fails, the warning shows up and between X an Y seconds later it explodes, with explosion strength scaling with the failed part's mass.

so actually blow up the part (destroy) or just an FX? @Nnimrod  is something I'd consider. Please drop by github and start a discussion and/or feature request. 

@Probusfollowing up on TestFlight ? next readme is being worked on as I type,

On 8/25/2021 at 12:06 PM, jefferyharrell said:

EHH-EHH-EHH-EHH

@jefferyharrell @dylsh @eightiesboi

kindly find me an open source, royalty free, (so WTFPL, CC0, CC BY, or totally free) sound you'd like. several options would be nice. The code is almost completely done for this.

https://orangefreesounds.com/old-car-horn-sound/ is an example many more here. must have a license.

https://bigsoundbank.com/search?q=Klaxon &CatID=&type=&mode=&frequence=&resolution=&duree=-10&tri=t

https://bigsoundbank.com/search?q=Alarm&CatID=&type=&mode=&frequence=&resolution=&duree=-10&tri=t

https://freesound.org/people/Kinoton/sounds/350508/

https://freesound.org/people/Kinoton/packs/23808/

in progress: 

Oh Scrap! - track progress here;  issues and requests here; and discuss here.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:12 AM, Zelda said:

attempting to repair a part doesn't do anything. There is an NRE in the log for each attempt:

@Zelda 

thank you. +1 :rep:

issue here. is today's project.

I will attempt to replicate error, but only with OHS+SYD+RemoteTech installed.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:12 PM, Spike88 said:

The mod seems to be forking fine, however I don't seem to have an icon on the Stock toolbar, it's just all white.  I've tried on two different installs and its the same thing. There is definitely a Icon.png in my install of a little explosion.

issue has been resolved in the latest release. 

On 8/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, dylsh said:

spam throughout the Log

would you kindly upload the ksp.log to https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/OhScrap/issues (create issue and drag and drop) or here (as a link)?

12 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

The first one has a slightly whimsical tone to it -- but I love it for the same reason.

This is a fun scavenger hunt!  Probably something a little more 'contained' sounding, and not with a lot of reverb if this is meant to be heard inside a control room or cockpit.

1 minute ago, Beetlecat said:

The first one has a slightly whimsical tone to it -- but I love it for the same reason.

This is a fun scavenger hunt!  Probably something a little more 'contained' sounding, and not with a lot of reverb if this is meant to be heard inside a control room or cockpit.

Yeah, something organic-sounding, not overly electronic. I mean any "beep beep beep" would do the job, but something Kerbal-y would be a nice touch.

4 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

CC0 - will be included in next prerelease

CC BY-NC - the NC precludes it - just to be on the safe side. Like it though. if could find one that isn't NC.

4 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

thinking the same.

Yeah, something organic-sounding, not overly electronic. I mean any "beep beep beep" would do the job, but something Kerbal-y would be a nice touch.

:D

The way the code is set up I can add numerous sounds - and one can select which one they want to hear; probably going to have a 'randomize' or maybe a incremental - but also future could be a difference sound for every type of failure.... currently have 4 sounds (now five)... 

will keep the clips to about 6 seconds each.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Please for the love of god allow the sounds to be turned off if you do add them (ie not play at all).

*chuckle* @severedsolo already built into the settings - and also working on being able to set a separate volume for them in the same place. (out of :rep: for today)

what I am mulling over is an optional requirement of needing stock repair kits... well beyond my current programing ability... what is needed is a settings gui that slides out from the current panel when you right click on the stock button....

I always try to make things like sound and color and extra's optional. :D

Edited by zer0Kerbal

On 8/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, jefferyharrell said:

As long as we're talking about feature requests, I wonder how practical it would be to implement failures on unloaded vessels. It'd be fun to get an alarm saying a battery on my space station has shorted out.

@jefferyharrellit is technically possible, and even probable, is well beyond my current abilities with KSP programming. Just look at background processing --- might even be able to use that ; for now I look at it as a case of Schrödinger's cat,  the vessel/probe/satellite is both broken and dead and+or just fine at the same time. One doesn't know until they look inside the box... 

Edited by zer0Kerbal

13 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

@jefferyharrellit is technically possible, and even probable, is well beyond my current abilities with KSP programming. Just look at background processing --- might even be able to use that ; for now I look at it as a case of Schrödinger's cat,  the vessel/probe/satellite is both broken and dead and+or just fine at the same time. One doesn't know until they look inside the box... 

Fair enough. I don't know much about modding KSP, so I can't readily distinguish between ideas that would be easy to implement and ideas that would be impossible.

8 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

Fair enough. I don't know much about modding KSP, so I can't readily distinguish between ideas that would be easy to implement and ideas that would be impossible.

@jefferyharrellthe idea is sound, and completely doable, just won't make it into this version.

However, something for users to sink their teeth into:

Was sleep brainstorming and this emerged

Generational improvements via tech tree #31

Comment at link or in discussion here:

On 6/23/2020 at 3:34 AM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Most parts last about 6 uses before failing. Although this is about right for a Falcon 9 booster, it can become very annoying if parts are reused but not flown. For instance, I recently had a shuttle prototype that needed to be rolled back to the VAB several times before launch. This reduced the reliability as if it had flown 6 full missions. The story ended with 2 ssmes and all control surfaces out. A couple of ideas for improvements @zer0Kerbal:

•Have scrapyard track flight time instead of flights. This is simpler for the user but more code to write/change for you.

•In the vab, let players pay about 30% of the parts cost (and kct, if installed, build time) to restore reliability. I prefer this option. (of course, im not demanding anything. its great as it is.

Pay to restore reliability #33

Track Flight Time instead of flights #18

On 7/20/2020 at 1:58 PM, loverevolutionary said:

I really like this mod and the other Scrapyard based mods but it does not play well with Allista's Hangar mod. Specifically, any craft launched from a hangar gets all parts set as generation 1. Any way to work around this issue?

that sounds like @allista's Hanger not recognizing ScrapYard/OhScrap. Something to ask @allista about - might be able to be addressed in either Hanger or as a mod wrapper in ScrapYard/OhScrap.

22 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I actually have some code that sort of does this. In my personal copy of Oh Scrap I implemented the ability for failures to play "catch up" when the vessel is loaded (ie will do failures that would have happened when vessel was unloaded) and rebalanced it to take that into account (it was never implemented because it would be hell with current settings, way too many failures).

If I still have the code, happy to submit a PR if you're interested.

23 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

what is needed is a settings gui that slides out from the current panel when you right click on the stock button....

Does it have to be a separate GUI? Oh Scrap already implements an entry in the stock "difficulty settings" screen.

Edited by severedsolo

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

PR if you're interested.

@severedsolo yes, that would be lovely!

1 hour ago, severedsolo said:

separate GUI? Oh Scrap already implements an entry in the stock "difficulty settings" screen.

doesn't have to be, however, some settings would be best set without having to pause the game, and go to the settings. That settings page is going to be split into two if not three sections because it has so many options. :D Biomatic has this and it is a wonderfully handy feature.

I expect to push a pre-release today or at the latest tomorrow - just a little code polish and some more localization. plus there are now more failure modules, and looking to add even more, including a kOS failure - which will be tricky (at least for me). 

On 8/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, jefferyharrell said:

As long as we're talking about feature requests, I wonder how practical it would be to implement failures on unloaded vessels. It'd be fun to get an alarm saying a battery on my space station has shorted out.

implement failures on unloaded vessels #35

Edited by zer0Kerbal