[1.12.4] OhScrap! (OHS) A ScrapYard (SYD) based Part Failure and Reliability Mod - 2.2.99.0-prerelease `<允许降落伞损坏>` edition [28 Dec 2022

zer0Kerbal

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a localization issue with the latest version on CKAN.  The localization file uses the form OHS-... but the binaries are looking for FND-...  

This is a completely clean install for version 2.2.0.0.  A quick search and replace on the us-en.cfg file fixes the problem but I'm guessing this should be fixed in the dll instead.

[EDIT]  Also, it looks like there are two missing localizations for -Settings-snd and -Settings-qt

[EDIT]  I just looked at the latest beta and it looks like this was fixed already.

Edited by Pehvbot

On 9/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, Zelda said:

@zer0Kerbal,  I finally got around to getting a log for the issue where attempting to repair a part doesn't do anything. There is an NRE in the log for each attempt:

Maybe related to RemoteTech somehow?  Not sure, might be totally unrelated. 

I'm on KSP 1.11.2, and I've tried OhScrap! versions 2.1.1.1 and 2.2.0.0. Full log file here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmAxSBcQL19WnvoukqOS8usH3wpd3A?e=BrdDkv. If there is any other info you'd like, please let me know!

@Zelda @zer0Kerbal It does seem to happen without Remotetech (I use CommNet Constellation), it seems to happen on 1.9.1 as well, except in my case I noticed it on a lander leg.

Edited by Jade_Falcon
minor edit, mentions

• 2 weeks later...

@zer0Kerbal Interestingly, I was able to fix a lander leg on a landed probe while on EVA (with a scientist), so I'm wondering if Kerbals from another flight would be able to fix parts on the original failed vessel.  Will test this theory out.

Edit: Tested, looks like the problem is that Engineers arent able to make repairs when the NRE occurs, but any other Kerbal can.

Edited by Jade_Falcon

I've noticed that there is an issue with the English localization file installed with 2.2 from CKAN. Items in the localization are tagged as #OHS while the in game settings are showing as #FND. Swapping the tag in the localization seems to fix it. Not sure where else there may be issues because some items are #OHS.

Also looks like there are messages that don't even have text for them defined in the localization file such as the remote repair text for some kind of failure but I have no idea what the failure is.

Edited by dethsturm
Added more info

8 hours ago, dethsturm said:

I've noticed that there is an issue with the English localization file installed with 2.2 from CKAN. Items in the localization are tagged as #OHS while the in game settings are showing as #FND. Swapping the tag in the localization seems to fix it. Not sure where else there may be issues because some items are #OHS.

Also looks like there are messages that don't even have text for them defined in the localization file such as the remote repair text for some kind of failure but I have no idea what the failure is.

Ah, I noticed that, but I thought it was just something specific to my install, since all of the OHS messages show the tag vs the actual text. I was having issues with engineers and repairs and thought it was related.  The one that might be missing is the "Cannot be repaired remotely." message. That message does display the tag, but I don't see it in the localization file.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 10:59 PM, Galileo chiu said:

Does it work with Kerbalism?

So take a read through this post first to get someone's experience using both Oh Scrap! and Kerbalism's reliability module together:
https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/493

Another option, the way I have it set up, is to go into the "KerbalismConfig" folder in GameData, open "Settings.cfg", and you're able to literally just disable Kerbalism's reliability module IF you wanted to use Oh Scrap!, and didn't like the way they play together as the player described in the post I linked (personally, I just wanted each mechanic to be handled by only one mod, and prefer Oh Scrap!'s failure system).

On 10/31/2021 at 9:59 PM, Galileo chiu said:

Does it work with Kerbalism?

@Galileo chiusee below.

31 minutes ago, RocketRyleigh said:

using both Oh Scrap! and Kerbalism's reliability module together:

@RocketRyleighthank you. +1 :rep:

https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/OhScrap/issues/45

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/493#

If Kerbalism is willing to write a simple two-way API - then integration (fairly tight) is possible and might actually be a way to help Kerbalism to shrink its codebase and assist its developers.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:25 PM, Gordon Dry said:

link

@Gordon Drythank you +1 :rep: - should be fixed in next update pass, which is on the short list (on my forum profile).

4 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

@RocketRyleighthank you. +1 :rep:

https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/OhScrap/issues/45

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/issues/493#

If Kerbalism is willing to write a simple two-way API - then integration (fairly tight) is possible and might actually be a way to help Kerbalism to shrink its codebase and assist its developers.

You're welcome :) I love both of your mods so I definitely hoped they could work together.

I checked back on the Kerbalism issue thread too, and I don't have enough context to follow completely lol, but if this means we're getting Oh Scrap!/Kerbalism compatibility, that's pretty damn nifty! I do like Kerbalism's whole ecosystem, it's very well conceived, so if we could have Oh Scrap! communicating with Kerbalism's reliability, that'd definitely be ideal!

Great work on everything in general btw! :) It is fully appreciated <3

5 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Thank you. Total credit goes to original authors of SYD/OHS ( @severedsolo and @magico13) .

Of course, but you're responsible for maintaining them for us to keep using :) that definitely counts!

6 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Have you checked out my other two mods?

You mean do I crew all Hallowe'en missions with only dead Kerbals in koffins? I'm damn well going to now, I'll tell you that! :P 

So I checked back on that Kerbalism issue thread, and they were making some points that seem reasonable, and wouldn't necessarily suggest the kind of compatibility between failure systems that the OP of that thread was thinking of (I think maybe they were over-representing an edge-case solution that worked for them as being a general solution).

A couple of points they mentioned:

Spoiler

"Nobody ever defined what this issue is really about, apart from showing OhScrap failures in the Kerbalism UI, which would be confusing and not really Kerbalism's job IMO."

"I don't really see how OhScrap could really integrate with Kerbalism failures, they essentially do the same thing with different gameplay paradigms and technical solutions. If anything, the only "integration" would be tweaking Kerbalism's reliability MM patches in the presence of OhScrap so Kerbalism's reliability only focus on the few areas that aren't already covered by OhScrap."

So I don't know ultimately if anyone's gonna find it worth it to add specific integration. Personally, I'm torn, but will either go with disabling Kerbalism reliability and using Oh Scrap!, or settling for Kerbalism and like Kerbal Launch Failures for the gameplay I want. Not sure yet though.

Koffins, though? Locked-in :P

Edited by RocketRyleigh

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2022 at 6:13 AM, gamerscircle said:

When starting a new save, the options for OhScrap! (OHS) Options don't appear to show up alphabetically and if there an explanation of what #FND-Settings-XXX does?

I've been having the same issue as well.

On 1/3/2022 at 5:13 AM, gamerscircle said:

alphabetically

kindly submit issue / feature request on github.

33 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

#FND-Settings-XXX

I will have to review the code - but probably a code artifact - ie nothing. (btw, FND is Foundations, another of my mods)

same as above.

I am planning on SYD/OHS pass shortly. Check my twitter feed and/or my profile here for the current list of updates.

Is there any update on this issue reported on GitHub re Engineers not being able to repair things? https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/OhScrap/issues/30

Also, what does the "2.2.1.0-zed'K BETA" option in the settings menu do? And what does the "stage recovery" setting do?

BTW the link to the changelog on the main page of the thread seems to be broken - just takes you to a page that says "not found": https://github.com/zer0Kerbal/OhScrap/Changelog.cfg

On 11/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, RocketRyleigh said:

So I checked back on that Kerbalism issue thread, and they were making some points that seem reasonable, and wouldn't necessarily suggest the kind of compatibility between failure systems that the OP of that thread was thinking of (I think maybe they were over-representing an edge-case solution that worked for them as being a general solution).

A couple of points they mentioned:

Hide contents

"Nobody ever defined what this issue is really about, apart from showing OhScrap failures in the Kerbalism UI, which would be confusing and not really Kerbalism's job IMO."

"I don't really see how OhScrap could really integrate with Kerbalism failures, they essentially do the same thing with different gameplay paradigms and technical solutions. If anything, the only "integration" would be tweaking Kerbalism's reliability MM patches in the presence of OhScrap so Kerbalism's reliability only focus on the few areas that aren't already covered by OhScrap."

So I don't know ultimately if anyone's gonna find it worth it to add specific integration. Personally, I'm torn, but will either go with disabling Kerbalism reliability and using Oh Scrap!, or settling for Kerbalism and like Kerbal Launch Failures for the gameplay I want. Not sure yet though.

Koffins, though? Locked-in :P

Thinking about this some more: the main differences are 1. Kerbalism has part failures in background simulation, 2. Kerbalism has a pay-to-increase-reliability feature in the VAB, and 3. OhScrap has a ScrapYard based reliability model rewarding you for testing & re-using crafts and parts (which imo adds an enormous amount of depth and realism to the strategic/logistical level of the game). Point 2. is relatively minor imo, so i think the two main approaches here would be either to add background simulation failures to OhScrap (which imo would make Kerbalism's reliability feature largely redundant) or to add ScrapYard support to Kerbalism (it's actually not OhScrap support directly that would matter here) so that its failure model is affected by ScrapYard's part generation/uses.