[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 3

rasheed

Were you the one who came up with the "get into parking orbit, wait for the mun to rise over the horizon, then burn" method? That was the best trick ever!

In fact it was HarvesteR who came up with that, very early on! Of course, he had a head-start on the rest of us, playing with the game during development. :)

Did some quick maths to work out the approximate distance of the planets according to Nova's picture -

Scale 1.6cm = 13gm

Moho = 0.5-0.7cm = 4gm-5.5gm

Eve = 1.1-1.2cm = 9gm-10gm

Kerbin = 1.6cm = 13.5gm

Duna 2.2-2.5cm = 17.5gm-20gm

Jool = 7.5-8.5cm = 61gm-69gm

GM = 1,000,000,000m

(Note 'approximate'...but not too shoddy) :D

I used the most scientific implement available to me - A ruler, yes :P

I have the equations for interplanetary transfer angles prepared and ready to go for official distance data; when that data's available, I'll post diagrams which will let people eyeball the transfer windows, like I did for the Mun.

-Would you mind sharing the formula you use?

-I'v got used to this formula, its not the best... I'v picked it up somewhere a long time ago.. Modified it a bit..

-Looks nicer on paper with roots and fractions, rather than a linear formula..

zmDzF.jpg

X= Target Orbit

Y= Parking Orbit

R= Orbiting body Radius

|{|Square root|(X+r)^3]/Square root|(X+Y+2r)^3|}*180-180|=

-It looks intimidating first glance, but its basically two orbital period formulas

(one being your target, other the excentirc transfer orbit)..

-Divided by each other to get the relative periods..

(when one dose a full revolution the other one dose x % of that..)..

-Multiplied by the 180 and subtract by 180..

(to get the burn angle)..

Simple as that.. :D

Edited by Atimed
img..

There was such a project, Project Orion, which basically dumped small nukes out the back and blew them up behind a heavy shield with lots of shock absorbers. It never progressed beyond the drawing board, though.

I can't think of a better use for a nuclear bomb.

There was such a project, Project Orion, which basically dumped small nukes out the back and blew them up behind a heavy shield with lots of shock absorbers. It never progressed beyond the drawing board, though.

Actually, Orion did get (slightly) beyond the drawing board...

A small-scale proof-of-concept test article was built and flown using chemical explosives. Video here (jumped up to the flight):

Edited by RoboRay

Ruler in hand, Excel 2007 open, I assaulted Nova's picture. The orbits will be off, I just went horizontally across the sun. KU is Kerbal's SOI unit.

5YJPb.png

It's good to see that Moho will be in this patch. Looking forward to it.

All the orbits are somewhat elliptical, but, good job.

Hm. Didn't realize that Orion had a proof of concept, to scale working model. Makes sense though. Too bad people are so afraid of atomic weapons (as they should be). However, I think this is the only way the bombs should be used.

Back on topic, I love that people have managed to somewhat calculate the rough orbital altitudes of these planets. I was worried about having a tight fuel budget until I saw that a stock NERVA was added (the only mod I use is crew tank).

Back on topic, I love that people have managed to somewhat calculate the rough orbital altitudes of these planets. I was worried about having a tight fuel budget until I saw that a stock NERVA was added (the only mod I use is crew tank).

Crew-tank is the only mod I've been using too, preferring to stick with stock parts for the challenge (because, really, anything is possible if you simply make mod-parts that are unbalanced enough).

I'm going to have to check out the new docking mod, though. And maybe MechJeb or the Flight Engineer mod, just for the data they provide (I have no interest in MechJeb's autopilot functions).

Edited by RoboRay

Ruler in hand, Excel 2007 open, I assaulted Nova's picture. The orbits will be off, I just went horizontally across the sun. KU is Kerbal's SOI unit.

5YJPb.png

Sorry, I can't find the #s at the moment, but do you know offhand what Minmus' SOI is?

Crew-tank is the only mod I've been using too, preferring to stick with stock parts for the challenge (because, really, anything is possible if you simply make mod-parts that are unbalanced enough).

I'm going to have to check out the new docking mod, though. And maybe MechJeb or the Flight Engineer mod, just for the data they provide (I have no interest in MechJeb's autopilot functions).

I'm sure it would be helpful to have those functions, but I'm sure it will be stock eventually. Certainly not in this next update. I was looking forward to an Ion-type thruster, but the NERVA is just as good, and (from what I've read about Nuclear Thermal rockets, being an aspiring aerospace engineer, I've read quite a lot) certainly has much higher thrust than an Ion thruster. This engine will be used for all of my interplanetary transfer stages. Once I break planetary orbit, that sucker is gonna kick on.

5YJPb.png

According to this data my rocket has enough fuel to make it to Duna with extra fuel! :D

Rule 1, Don't ask for ETA's, But hey we share birthdays!

Wow,you are first who share birthday with me :)

Karolus10: double posting, post below has been removed and merged bellow, please use "Edit post" option, thank You.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

According to this data my rocket has enough fuel to make it to Duna with extra fuel! :D

Okay Mr.Fantastic.Now,make it home.

Edited by karolus10

In that latest map of the stellar system, it looks like Moho's orbit is nowhere near circular. Does that mean that it won't be tidally locked? Realistically you need circular orbit to be locked.

The idea of having it molten over one entire side would be a bit silly if the magma sea kept drifting over to the cold side.

The idea of having it molten over one entire side would be a bit silly if the magma sea kept drifting over to the cold side.

Why? You just have the other side coming round and melting as the other cools.

Why? You just have the other side coming round and melting as the other cools.

That cyclic heating and cooling sounds like a recipe for some very interesting geological formations...

It's basically annealing on a gigantic scale. What kind of rocks would it end up with? diamond?

As much as I would like dynamically melting and solidifying terrain on Moho, I think it's a bit out of scope for the Unity engine and what the Dev's are trying to achieve with it, at least in .17. Maybe one of them can chime in on what it will look like.

But either way, I'm super pumped for .17, that picture Nova posted of the scaled back system makes me marvel at some of the ridiculous player-made efficiency challenges this might inspire in 0.17. (Non-NERVA grand tour anyone?) =P