What nice thing happened to you today?

Vanamonde

My county is telling us to "shelter in place" avoid The Disease, so my neighbor just knocked on the door, told me he works at a grocery store, and asked me if there's anything I need from the store. I don't even know they guy very well. It was such a nice thing to do in the middle of so much stress and bad news. 

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

my neighbor just knocked on the door, told me he works at a grocery store, and asked me if there's anything I need from the store. I don't even know they guy very well.

That's totally awesome. See, in spite of the news telling us humanity is rapidly on its way to some bad destination in hand basket, there are still decent people out there!

I inherited two more classes this semester from an adjunct who quit in the middle of the semester. And I was told to "handle the mess because I know you'll do the best you can for your new students." And this comes right after me not getting tenure again earlier this academic school year. Who knows, maybe they are beginning to rethink the whole tenure thing?

I can already see that I'm going to wind up spending all my likes in this thread.

We already told our elderly neighbors on either side of us that if we see their cars at the local grocery store we will be cross with them, they should be asking us to go for them instead.

I had to drive back in to my old campus to drop my keys off with the guy who will be working there instead of me during all this. We chatted for a while. It doesn't seem like much, but it was nice to get out and talk to someone for a while.

Really? Nothing nice happened to anybody else in the last 24 hours? Man, tough crowd.

My wife brought me coffee and a scone as I was getting logged in this morning. I never get coffee when I'm in the office. Plus, you know, 9:30 and still in pajamas and slippers. I think I could get used to the whole working at home thing....

I SAW THE SPACE STATION

Except I really, REALLY saw it. It's clear tonight, and there was going to be a pass, so I took out the telescope and looked at some stuff while waiting - Orion nebula, Venus, random Starlink satellites...When the station came up I noticed it would go right past the Pleiades, and I realized I could point the telescope right on its path and wait for it. I managed to catch it and follow it with the scope, and I saw:

-The orange glow of the solar panels' back side

-The parallelogram shape of the solar array from my viewing angle

-Some of the lines and texture of the solar panels

-Bright white dot in the very center, that being the main part of the station which is made of reflective aluminum

That's the best look I can hope to get unless I'm invited aboard!

8 hours ago, cubinator said:

There wasn't any bread at the store, so we're making our own bread with the bread machine.

I found bread at the store today.

The problem was that when I couldn't find bread, I also couldn't find any flour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.