What Are The Uses Of Magnetic Gases?

Spacescifi

So apparently, humans have figured out how to use light to make gas magnetic. They can apparently do it at room temperature too. The resulting field they generated is a tenth of Earth's magnetic field strength, but that is still impressive.

Ironic really but it makes sense. Light IS part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Never realized light could induce magnetism.

Consider my mind blown.

Here is the article.

https://physicsworld.com/a/optical-centrifuge-magnetizes-molecular-gas/

It got me thinking... what can we do with that? And yes... I am thinking of it for scifi applications. Obviously the magnetic field strength will be greater in scifi.

My results:

Plasma ball guns: Magnetize the air in a specific direction over a given area and you should be able to fire a plasma bolt down it that will go straight. WIthout that IRL the bolt would not go far before expanding like a flame. Even with this though, this is a short range gun. Normal bullets have far greater range. Not likely I would use this concept as it seems a very convoluted way to go about a solution that has easier options available.

Working light(plasma)saber: Cool, but is still a convoluted way to do something that can be done easier. Like a chainsaw. Or a normal plasma torch.

Nuclear lightbulb actually works: Maybe. I think... using magnetic gases may help with the nuclear reaction staying put if it is a gas core reaction.

Nuclear fusion: I dunno. Could'n hury to try.

Whay do you think?

Edited by Spacescifi

Magnetic gases?

Hmm...

Maybe magnetic nozzles for conventional rocket engines, if a performance benefit exists. 

Gas core reactor containment is a big one - could even enable open cycle engines that don’t lose too much nuclear fuel. And if that’s possible then nuclear thermal turbojets (and ramjets) become more practical from a propulsion standpoint if specific power is high enough.

Provided the limitations on magnetic gases aren’t too limiting.

If it can be done efficiently and externally without too many consequences magnetizing air could enable a Wingless Electromagnetic Air Vehicle - provided air can be magnetized in the necessary way.

6 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

We can magnetize the air in front of the air intakes, so insuck more air for an air-breathing methane-fed orion-class atmospheric ship with a pusher plate, using the antimatter.

Is that a rectangular or flying saucer configuration?

10 hours ago, Nuke said:

debugging magnetic systems.

Also the demosquitting ones.

A portable device blowing with magnetized air.
On detecting a mosquito near you, blows it away with air to save the mosquito's life and your blood from eating and karma from killing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.