NASA is suspending development of its future deep-space rocket ( during coronavirus pandemic )

pmborg

NASA is suspending development of its future deep-space rocket during coronavirus pandemic

MAF_20200108_Artemis_Roll_out_DN_567_ori

The first completed core of the Space Launch System en route to Stennis Space Center. Image: NASA

LINK

11 minutes ago, Barzon said:

They're not suspending "development". They're pausing testing on CS-1, and making teleworking mandatory. Work is still ongoing, just not work that requires hardware.

Yeah, I mentioned this in the SLS/Orion thread I think (Green Run delay). I know their schedule has about zero margin, so this likely tags on as many weeks as it takes to the launch date.

2 hours ago, Barzon said:

They're not suspending "development". They're pausing testing on CS-1, and making teleworking mandatory. Work is still ongoing, just not work that requires hardware.

Sounds like all the stuff I'm doing in my rocket group, along with every other university rocket program.

10 minutes ago, Barzon said:

For example, I'm in contact with a guy at MSFC who works on Cryogenic Fluid Management, including some stuff which is kinda like a NASA-made IVF. He's working at home, but he's still working. 

Yeah, obviously some stuff can continue, but for the launch, they need to be doing testing. Maybe EUS can catch up.

I they should have plenty of stuff they can do remotely, just not for that specific mission. Everything's getting delayed these days, NASA can survive closing shop for a while. The Moon isn't going anywhere. They can use this period to get a leg up on stuff further down the pipeline.

43 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

I they should have plenty of stuff they can do remotely, just not for that specific mission. Everything's getting delayed these days, NASA can survive closing shop for a while. The Moon isn't going anywhere. They can use this period to get a leg up on stuff further down the pipeline.

True, the point is the launch day of Artemis I moving out literally day for day.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:01 AM, kerbiloid said:

They have entered the KSP provement phase.

Perhaps my Hope program will be able to catch up then.

Let NASA work remotely while I figure out why my rocket engine sounds are all gone.

2 minutes ago, DDE said:

Let NASA work remotely while I figure out why my rocket engine sounds are all gone.

If NASA had given the remote control to the KSP forum, the Opportunity would be still alive, because we would just shake off the dust instead of debugging its scripts.

(But the Mars would be covered with short words and pictures drawn by its wheels).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.