[1.12.x] Tracking Lights

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @Trolllception made this a few years ago at my request, and then did a very nice update.  For now he has stepped back and gave me permission to adopt it.  As always, if he comes back I'll be very happy to return it to him.  Original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/164677-17-tracking-lights/

About

This is a new version of the old 'Launch Pad Lamp' mod I ( @Trollception) had previously released.  This new version is closer to what I had originally intended when I started this mod 2 years ago as it now includes the tracking functionality.

Features

• Spotlight can track the active vessel or current target
  • Tracking can be disabled or enabled per light
  • Light parameters can be modified in flight via the right click action menu (color, spotlight cone angle, intensity, range)
  • New emissive animation for the Launch Spotlight
  • Updated materials to use KSP mapped shader
  • New M.T.S. LED tracking spotlight (smaller LED version intended for use on crafts or for docking assistance)

Note:  The intensity and range values allow for some extreme values.  The intention is these lights could be used for ambient lighting around a base or by lighting up distant terrain. 

Reviewed by Kottabos Games

Availability

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 3/20/2020 at 6:34 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

My goal is to set up a whole suite of lights to mimic the lighting system that NASA had for the Saturn V launches back in the 60's and 70's

Hello @linuxgurugamer,

This comes in handy, once I am doing now some "Saturn V" based vehicles ;)

I will test now this version in order to check how will be a night Launch, today I posted a video (PART I) in "The Daily Kerbal"

but the launch is very dark, another-thing very useful is for rendezvous also in dark side of the Moon.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

My goal is to set up a whole suite of lights to mimic the lighting system that NASA had for the Saturn V launches back in the 60's and 70's

Looks grear for cosmetic and pracrical reasons during launches. Think of the videos!

I would place a beacon on top of a surface outpost, to aid dark side landings and excursions. Can it be set in advance from the outpost, so that when I am controlling another craft (the landing one in this case) it will automatically detect me and chase me?

• 5 months later...

This is an excelent mod. Very usefull, compared to the stock lights.

I did find a minor problem, though:
The tracking light spams the log efey half a second or so. Turning it off does nothing. I did got a kerbal out and dissasemble one of the tracking lights and the log spam ended. I didn't notice any fps drop, but still, this can't be healthy.

https://easyupload.io/g6l15o

https://imgur.com/a/YQ5WetQ

A sercond problem i found later: teh MTS light does not remember the color you have set between scene changes. I mean it remebers the numbers, but until you tinkle with it the projected color is always white after a scene change.

Edited by Nicky21

• 6 months later...
On 9/6/2020 at 1:09 PM, Nicky21 said:

A sercond problem i found later: teh MTS light does not remember the color you have set between scene changes. I mean it remebers the numbers, but until you tinkle with it the projected color is always white after a scene change.

I am finishing up a slight refresh of the mod code, including a fix for that problem and some other minor features I wanted personally, should I submit a PR when finished @linuxgurugamer?

Also if anyone else is interested in this mod functionality, I would *love* to help with getting more tracking lights going - smaller "headlamp" types, stack-style with a point light
moving around the edge etc. But I have no experience with modelling and Unity scene setup, so probably not going to add anything made from scratch by myself any time soon. Can script it up no prob though.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Absolutely, thank you.

Ping me when you do submit it so i dont miss it

@linuxgurugamer
Done, https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/TrackingLights/pull/1

If anyone would like to help testing before release tag (I am playing with it and it's not really super complicated, but subtle stuff can get missed), ping or PM me and I can provide a .zip. I've posted a suggested changelog in the PR if you'd like to see what's changed.

2 hours ago, Tacombel said:

Hi @linuxgurugamerthe video in the OP is about Custom Parachute message, not this mod.

Greetings.

Thats really odd, that a very new video and the op was posted years ago.

Thanks for the heads up, ill get it fixed

Edit: Fixed

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the parts appear in the research node that is for non-RO/non-RP and tagged as "orphan".

Obviously, the parts are not visible in the VAB

Using KSP 1.8.1 with RO/RP

Is there a way to "mark" the parts as RO-compatible, so they appear in their designated node, even if the stats will be incorrect?

Regards

Edited by maxigen
Added game version

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 10:50 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.0.2.2

• Added AssemblyFileVersion
  • Updated version file for 1.12

Another one down! (How many more to go? :D) Thank God 1.12 is the last version; modders can finally have some peace (before KSP2 that is...). Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the packaged release is only available on SpaceDock, and not on GitHub (only the source zip/tar.gz are).

2 hours ago, Iodyne said:

Another one down! (How many more to go? :D) Thank God 1.12 is the last version; modders can finally have some peace (before KSP2 that is...). Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the packaged release is only available on SpaceDock, and not on GitHub (only the source zip/tar.gz are).

Thanks, I'll get that taken care of

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Those are some spotlights huh? I placed the largest one atop a space station, at 400km altitude, and it illuminates Kerbin's surface!

There might be a fix for that... something to do with the Unity layers... a long time ago, IIRC, this was an issue with some lights... not sure if it was ever a problem with *stock* lights or not, tho

FYI @linuxgurugamer

Edited by Stone Blue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.