Sirius K

I recently experience some weird stuff with the poles of Duna, Kerbin Poles are fine but Duna's Pole literally kills, my Rover that was very successful in the equator, but suddenly it got weird when I set bon voyage to drive it to the poles. First, I time warp a while for bon voyage to drive the craft there, but when I load up the Rover, it appears UNDERGROUND, and it exploded. So I decided to try again, (by set position the Rover in SPH to the poles). But even weirder stuff happens. First, I set altitude to 10 and latitude 90 (directly on the north pole) but a giant spike appear with land hitboxes, the cheat should make my craft above the spike, but it didn't, instead I find land inside land. So another try, I set position directly on a waypoint from a commission (also at the polar region), but when I set altitude 5, it's UNDER GROUND AGAIN! Luckily I have enough time to set a higher altitude, and I completed the first way point of the commission, but when I want to drive the craft, it barely move despite the craft is extremely successful in other places. So I use bon voyage again, but when I make the destination the activated way point (again in the polar regions), it says there's no route to the way point despite being extremely close. So I set the destination some where a bit south of the waypoint, and enter tracking station to time warp, but, a message from world first milestone appears, said that I SPLASHED DOWN on DUNA OCEAN?! And then loaded my craft again under ground. If anyone experienced this same thing please share how you dealt it. And please help, I want to build a colony at the poles but this I assume will stop me from doing so.

Edited by Sirius K

I've had plenty of issues with rovers ending up underground after using Bon Voyage to drive them somewhere. The solution seems to be turning the terrain detail settings (not the graphics!) to the highest setting, which actually changes the shape of the terrain. Bon Voyage apparently only uses the high detail terrain maps so if your setting is lower, you can end up at a point where it's above ground on high detail, but below it on lower settings to the explosive detriment of your rovers.

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I've had plenty of issues with rovers ending up underground after using Bon Voyage to drive them somewhere. The solution seems to be turning the terrain detail settings (not the graphics!) to the highest setting, which actually changes the shape of the terrain. Bon Voyage apparently only uses the high detail terrain maps so if your setting is lower, you can end up at a point where it's above ground on high detail, but below it on lower settings to the explosive detriment of your rovers.

Oh, this makes sense. I used to have this problem aplenty, so much so that I got used to just editing the save file and slightly changing the rover's position so it wouldn't be underground and explode on load.

17 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Have you drove to the poles using bon voyage before? My Rover died there but I don't know if my terrain detail quality though

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.