Auto-strut visualization "lines"

When building a ship in the VAB and setting up auto-strut on the various parts, I get a visual representation of the "connections" the various auto-strut techniques will result in, in the form of orange lines. Once the ship is in flight, however, these visualization lines do not show when adjusting auto-strutting. Is there a way to make these visual "connections" show when changing auto-struts in flight?

1 hour ago, strider3 said:

Is there a way to make these visual "connections" show when changing auto-struts in flight?

Yes, there is a toggle in the cheat menu (<R-Shift> - <F12> on Linux, <Alt> - F12> on Windows), in the general "Physics" tab.

Got it. Doesn't exactly work the way I'd prefer...it shows ALL visualizations for every part of the craft, rather than just the ones for the selected part. But it's better than nothing. I'm hoping being able to manipulate auto-struts in flight will stop my station from coming apart when docking new parts to it. It's all very strange...not the increasing wobbles where everything flies apart...just a small "shudder" when docking a new set of tanks and then one, already connected section, will just "disconnect" and drift off.

Edited by strider3

53 minutes ago, strider3 said:

can the "root" part of a space station (or any craft, for that matter) be changed in flight?

Nope.

Well, when you dock two craft together then the root part of the combined craft will be the root part of one of the two pre-docked craft. So in a way the root part of the other one was changed. But I don't think that is what you were thinking about.

No, but it does answer the question. Nothing I do seems to stop this behavior (is there a KSP "persistence" award??  ;)). If I could save a short video, it might show what I'm seeing better...but I don't know how to do that. My options now are limited...starting months of work over with no parts mods...I don't really think they are the issue because the station will have one section come apart at a stock part, sometimes...but I'm left with nothing else...short of putting a .45 through my monitor :sticktongue:.

I'm desperately hoping KSP 2 fixes the entire strutting, craft stability, death wobbles and "shudder" disconnects on docking thing (I'm experiencing)? If not, I see no reason to spend any money on it because these issues are the ones that have driven me crazy from day one of my KSP career. Someone mentioned trying 1.8.1 because it's "very stable". Is 1.7.3 not "stable"? I haven't heard anything to that effect?

Edited by strider3

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2020 at 5:22 AM, mikey117 said:

You should be able to avoid most Kraken attacks, by setting autostrut to Grandparent part. That way if the root part does change by adding/docking a new piece of the station. The autostrut will not move/ shift positions.

I've actually started using the KJR mod (Kerbal Joint Reinforcement) and it has basically solved all my problems. One important note...if you use this mod...turn off ALL auto-strutting, on both ships, before docking. From my experience with KJR...auto-strutting is no longer needed, and may, in fact, need to be avoided. I'm still trying to determine if I can turn off auto-strutting at launch...for "wobbly" ships. Not quite sure if KJR helps with the "noodles" on launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.