Parachutes attached to service bay always stowed

After a failed landing due to parachutes not deploying I experimented a bit with the sm-6a service module part (the small conical one), and it seems that all 'chutes attached to them are always in "stowed" state and so they won't deploy - if the shroud was removed in VAB. Even if I put a cubical strut or a decoupler on it's top node and the chute on top of that, it just says that it's stowed. When the craft is launched with the shroud on, parachutes work normally.

Edited by kurja
Typo

There is a group of bugs about the service modules. What you describe seems closest to this one (link). The way the service module marks as stowed parts outside of it is a separate bug (that I remember seeing but cannot find right now).

The Making History mod is noticeably buggier than the rest of KSP, so be warned, but you might like it anyway.

You already noticed that you can work around the problem, by leaving the shroud on in the VAB and deploying it in flight.

If you want to change the rules in your copy of the game game, so that parachutes don't check if they are stowed,
you can edit the configuration files, or use a ModuleManager patch like
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleParachute]] {
  @MODULE[ModuleParachute] {
  %shieldedCanDeploy = true
}}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.