How many of you are on lockdown?

Klapaucius

We are going into full lockdown here in New Zealand on Wednesday. I will be home at least 4 weeks. I am quite fortunate that at the moment I am healthy and my circumstances are good.  I hope that remains so, but of course, no one knows for sure.   I plan to catch up on a lot of reading, get better at planetary missions, dream of the kayaking I am not doing and maybe finally do that KSP Pentathlon Challenge I have had percolating in my head for a long time.

At any rate. Stay safe wherever you are. I wish you all the best.

Edited by Klapaucius

I'm in the USA, where we are still "recommended to practice social distancing"...So lockdown is not enforced yet in my state, but most businesses are closed or altered to accommodate isolation, and people are staying at home if they can, myself included. Public schools are closed until April 1, when classes will resume in online format. My university did the same starting last week, and so far things have gone mostly ok for me. Grading is going to be more lenient. This whole thing started during spring break.

I've been playing lots of KSP, doing my homework as usual, and contemplating streaming planetarium shows like I would normally give at the museum.

Locked down tight until given the all-clear.

Spoiler

I am strongly in favour of the restrictions, and possible enforcement. The only way things get as bad as, say, Italy, is by people giving the infection to each other by the commonly advertised mechanisms.

Outdoor exercise and grocery shopping is low risk.

But then you hear stories about thousands of people all turning up at the same park.

Use your head, stay away from other people as much as possible.

It is that serious.

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I'm in the USA, where we are still "recommended to practice “social distancing"...So lockdown is not enforced yet in my state, but most businesses are closed or altered to accommodate isolation, and people are staying at home if they can, myself included. Public schools are closed until April 1, when classes will resume in online format. My university did the same starting last week, and so far things have gone mostly ok for me. Grading is going to be more lenient. This whole thing started during spring break.

I've been playing lots of KSP, doing my homework as usual, and contemplating streaming planetarium shows like I would normally give at the museum.

same. My computer broke so I’m on mobile, at home “practicing social distancing”, a.k.a being quarantined in my house bc parents. I’m young enough to not do online classes, only homeschooling. It sucks harder than both Pokémon at 1 HP and the opponent uses a Full restore when you were about to Quick Attack. It just sucks in every way.:(-_- 

Edited by HansonKerman
It just sucks and I hate it. <sigh>

Not ordered, but encouraged to stay home.

Last Monday, the agency told us to work from home if we could.  Tuesday, the center went to mandatory telework.  Not having a laptop, I had to drag my PC and a monitor home with me.  Had to rearrange my bedroom to set up a desk where I could plug the computer into the router.  City and state so far seem to be disinclined to order a stay-at-home, and from what I've seen, people don't seem to be too inclined to follow it if they did.

I'm frankly not sure "lockdown" would even be legal in the US. Bars/restaurants are closed except for takeout. Theaters/entertainment venues (museums, etc) closed. Other businesses are pretty empty, but open. Docs/dentists have canceled elective stuff. Schools closed.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

I'm frankly not sure "lockdown" would even be legal in the US. Bars/restaurants are closed except for takeout. Theaters/entertainment venues (museums, etc) closed. Other businesses are pretty empty, but open. Docs/dentists have canceled elective stuff. Schools closed.

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've heard, the government has rather broad powers in the event of a national emergency, up to and including "lockdown".  What level of lockdown could be debated, but what's been done is legal

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've heard, the government has rather broad powers in the event of a national emergency, up to and including "lockdown".  What level of lockdown could be debated, but what's been done is legal

Nothing has been locked down in the US, and any attempt would likely be unconstitutional.

They cannot even force people to evacuate from Category 5 hurricanes.

"Shelter in place" is asking people nicely. Gov can regulate some businesses that require permits from the health dept, not run transit, etc, but that's pretty much it.

If I was driving someplace, by what law could a cop pull me over and tell me to go home? Because the Governor said so? Nope. Because the President said so? Double nope.

Legally, they can quarantine individuals, but that would require demonstrating each individual meets the criteria (possibly in court).

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, EchoLima said:

Yeah, a quarantine order would have to apply to specific people I bet. I suppose you could demand they test you for antibodies.

Besides which, it's not terribly enforceable. Stores to keep people alive MUST be open, as well as people doing jobs that need to be done, which could include bringing food to your elderly parents.

In Thailand...nope

Our Government declare to close Bars,Restaurants,Shopping Malls,Theaters and all entertainment sites, but left some Minimarts and  Convenience Stores for buying foods and another supplies

and also highly recommend stay at home and uses Social Network(ex : Facebook, LINE, Pantip Forum, or whatever...) and online services instead going outside

I'm Nantares Kerman, Live save

A 4 week shelter in place order went into effect at midnight where I'm at on the orders of the local county health department.  Bars were shutdown last week, putting my girlfriend out of work. The first local case due to community spread was yesterday, prior it was four that were travel related.  The shelter order has enough loopholes, my boss thinks the company I work for is an "essential" business since we have a DoD contract, so it's show up anyway.  They are only just now getting serious about figuring out how to implement working from home. Its never been allowed before, so they have no experience. 

"October 1939: Its been weeks since this war started, when can i go back to work? I hope the economy wont be too badly affected"

I think we can handle this one guys.

Meanwhile, police are still breaking up mass parties and gatherings, whilst the UK death toll continues to accelerate.

Did I mention there was a murder in the street outside my house 2 days ago? A lady ran over a man and stabbed someone who attempted to intervene. First man died, second is ok.

Wild times.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:32 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

From what I've read, states have pretty broad powers when it comes to urgent public health issues.

Here in Norway there are a lot of measure in place to limit the spread of the virus. All educational establishments, bars, clubs and other social gathering places were ordered closed 2 weeks ago. It was announced today that would continue until at least Easter. However no general lockdown has been ordered yet.

I'm still working in the company office (although I'm set up for home working as soon as ordered), as its only 6 minutes walk away, on quiet suburban streets and there's only one other person when I get there and they're working in a different room.

Edited by purpleivan

On 3/23/2020 at 3:55 PM, tater said:

Shelter in place" is asking people nicely. Gov can regulate some businesses that require permits from the health dept, not run transit, etc, but that's pretty much it.

They say “practice social distancing” as the nice way. But I think legally aren’t like all restaurants legally obliged to be locked?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.