[1.12.x] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches

linuxgurugamer

• 2 months later...

V1TcOfK.png

I found a bug: GT wants to create files based on the name of the vessel. However, you can put invalid Windows characters into a vessel name, but it explodes GT when it tries to create/read those files. In this case, you can't put a colon in a file name, GT apparently didn't get that memo, so when you reach space, GT has a meltdown and spams the log with this.

• 1 month later...

Got a similar error to Frostiken today. Vessel name is "Explorer-7/Juno-2". The slash is part of the vessel's name. It's an Explorer-7 on a Juno-2 launch vehicle. Gravity turn has created a folder called "gt_launchdb_Explorer-7" and inside is a config file called "Juno-2_Kerbin.cfg"

Seems in my case, somewhere along the line, the game is mistaking the "/" as separating the folder from the file in a file tree.

This is the folder tree - F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\PluginData\gt_launchdb_Explorer-7

In there is the aforementioned file named "Juno-2_Kerbin.cfg"

Am I correct in assuming that what its supposed to do - if "/" was a valid character - is create a file named "Explorer-7/Juno-2.png" and another named "Explorer-7/Juno-2.cfg" in the directory "F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\PluginData"?

Seems easy enough to work around for now - Don't use any slashes or invalid characters in file names. Figured I'd let you know though. Maybe the naming system needs changed? Teach it to skip non-alpha-numeric characters, perhaps? "Explorer7Juno2.png is still an easy to identify and recognize name. None but the most out-of-this-Kerbin names should be any issue that way.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, TKMK said:

So i just click launch, and it will try find the best gravity turn till the apoapsis reaches that height? 

It starts out with some standard settings, which may or may not work.  It then tries to improve on those settings with each successive launch.  Eventually it will zero in on settings that will achieve an efficient gravity turn.

(Of course you must have a rocket capable of achieving orbit.  Gravity Turn can make up for a bad design.)

Edited by OhioBob

• 2 months later...

New release, 1.8.2.3

• Thanks for github user @Vandest1 for the following:
    • UI :
      • Fix issue on stats display with stock skin (display started over the window title)
      • Fix issue with the bold C in help window
      • Fix issue with tick boxes text with stock skin on main window
      • Fix help window position
      • Change help window width
    • Localization:
      • Add localization support
      • Change manner stats are display to fix alignment with different languages (different words width)
      • Auto adapt window and fields width to match with all languages
      • Add french localization

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I think I posted a similar big before and you fixed it... but in GravityTurn the windown position does not seem to be saved... and it used to before you took it over, and I think also after you fixed it half a year ago or so. Now keeps coming back to top left.

16 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Hey I think I posted a similar big before and you fixed it... but in GravityTurn the windown position does not seem to be saved... and it used to before you took it over, and I think also after you fixed it half a year ago or so. Now keeps coming back to top left.

Log file, please

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @LGG - This bug that you fixed back in 2020 has reappeared in the current version. Window position is either not saved or not read on instance.  @linuxgurugamer

Full log file if needed.  https://www.dropbox.com/t/7OSqP7d6Ord6fiCs

On 10/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.8.1.1

• Reverted the fixed opening of the initial window position

Edited by Atlas Gaming

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer

Hello ! The issue has already been reported but you were not pinged so maybe you didn't see it.
As the mod uses the name of the vessel to name the different files in pluginData, vessel names using some special characters can lead to an error (Gravity Turn refuses to close, FPS dropping heavily).

The name of the vessel I used: "Kerry Jr.-Ld/C" (without the quotes).

The folder and file that were created by the mod:
Z9gguQf.png

The error encountered in the console:

[EXC 13:05:02.539] DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\PluginData\gt_vessel_Kerry Jr.-Ld\C_Kerbin.png".
	System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	(wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
	System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes (System.String path, System.Byte[] bytes) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
	GravityTurn.FlightMap.Save (System.String filename) (at <ea01c1ca0f564ee9ae3023dd9a8dcbe4>:0)
	GravityTurn.GravityTurner.Kill () (at <ea01c1ca0f564ee9ae3023dd9a8dcbe4>:0)
	GravityTurn.GravityTurner.fly (FlightCtrlState s) (at <ea01c1ca0f564ee9ae3023dd9a8dcbe4>:0)
	Vessel.FeedInputFeed () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
	FlightInputHandler.FixedUpdate () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

The Player.log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahk-YEXBxs3xpAo2kSSUt5qDPzLW?e=3tWcON

Workaround is easy: do not use special OS characters in vessel names. ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer

Returning to KSP after several years, and for the first time playing with the DLC, I have discovered that Engine Plates and GravityTurn do not want to play nice. Specifically, other than the initial stage, any stage below an Engine Plate will fail to Auto Stage. Additionally (and this may be expected behaviour), if such a stage is not triggered manually, subsequent stages also fail to Auto Stage in their turn.

Replacing Engine Plates with decouplers fixes all staging issues on test craft.

Craft file (a stripped-down version of the craft that led to the discovery):
https://pastebin.com/pwGKdLrr

Log file, in two parts:
https://pastebin.com/NingbDVB
https://pastebin.com/nFpVfCUD

Relevant actions performed:
Launch craft w/GravityTurn; observe side boosters fail to separate when empty; wait; observe core booster fail to separate when empty; wait; manually perform one staging; observe both stagings happen at once.

Edited by Albedo039
figuring out this @ thingamajig…

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 11:54 AM, Albedo039 said:

any stage below an Engine Plate will fail to Auto Stage.

Also experiencing this with a similar craft file. 

I got around it by swapping out the engine plate with cubic struts as engine mounts with an inter-stage fairing.

7 hours ago, TMS said:

Also experiencing this with a similar craft file. 

I got around it by swapping out the engine plate with cubic struts as engine mounts with an inter-stage fairing.

Seems to work for me, so I'll need to see your vessel before making any conclusion.

Also, a log file would be useful

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.