Jump to content

[1.12.x] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches


linuxgurugamer
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

@linuxgurugamer, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I've got a bug to report.  Gravity Turn's automatic staging doesn't work when an engine plate decoupler is used.  Regular decouplers work fine, but whenever decoupling is to be done using the decoupler built into the engine plates, nothing happens.  I always have to decouple manually using the space bar.  Once decoupling is complete, the engines will ignite automatically, so that part works.  It's not that big of a deal to manually decouple, but it would be nice if it worked automatically as it should.  I've experienced this problem ever since engine plates were introduced into the game.

I'll look into it, not sure what's needed yet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@linuxgurugamer, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I've got a bug to report.  Gravity Turn's automatic staging doesn't work when an engine plate decoupler is used.  Regular decouplers work fine, but whenever decoupling is to be done using the decoupler built into the engine plates, nothing happens.  I always have to decouple manually using the space bar.  Once decoupling is complete, the engines will ignite automatically, so that part works.  It's not that big of a deal to manually decouple, but it would be nice if it worked automatically as it should.  I've experienced this problem ever since engine plates were introduced into the game.

Please test these craft with GT.

  1. https://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/GT-Test
  2. https://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/GT-Test-2
  3. https://kerbalx.com/linuxgurugamer/GT-Test-3

1 & 3 work on my system.  2 doesn't and should.

Would like to confirm that these represent what you are seeing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

1 & 3 work on my system.  2 doesn't and should.

Would like to confirm that these represent what you are seeing

I get the same result.  1 & 3 works, 2 does not.  #2 is the exact scenario that I attempted to describe in my bug report.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a beta which fixes the engine plates, please try it out and let me know how it is:

I'm getting mixed results.  It works fine with your GT-Test-2, but when I tried it on one of my saved craft, I got some weird results.  I also tried building a new craft and it didn't work.  Here's my results:

GT-Test-2 - works correctly.

Old saved launcher - This craft includes radial SRBs and engine plates with multi-engine configurations on the second and third stages.  During launch the SRBs did not separate after burnout (I had to stage them manually).  After burnout of the first stage, the stage automatically separated at the engine plate, but the second stage engines did not ignite (I had to ignite them manually).  I did not continue the launch long enough to see what would happen with the third stage.

Newly built launcher - While much different from the old launcher, the basic design is the same, having radial SRBs and an engine plate decoupler on the second stage.  During launch the SRBs separated correctly.  After burnout of the first stage, it would not decouple at the engine plate (I had to stage it manually).  After separation the second stage engines automatically ignited.  (This is the same behavior I typically got with the old Gravity Turn.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I'm getting mixed results.  It works fine with your GT-Test-2, but when I tried it on one of my saved craft, I got some weird results.  I also tried building a new craft and it didn't work.  Here's my results:

GT-Test-2 - works correctly.

Old saved launcher - This craft includes radial SRBs and engine plates with multi-engine configurations on the second and third stages.  During launch the SRBs did not separate after burnout (I had to stage them manually).  After burnout of the first stage, the stage automatically separated at the engine plate, but the second stage engines did not ignite (I had to ignite them manually).  I did not continue the launch long enough to see what would happen with the third stage.

Newly built launcher - While much different from the old launcher, the basic design is the same, having radial SRBs and an engine plate decoupler on the second stage.  During launch the SRBs separated correctly.  After burnout of the first stage, it would not decouple at the engine plate (I had to stage it manually).  After separation the second stage engines automatically ignited.  (This is the same behavior I typically got with the old Gravity Turn.)

These files will be very helpful, thank you

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Newly built launcher - While much different from the old launcher, the basic design is the same, having radial SRBs and an engine plate decoupler on the second stage.  During launch the SRBs separated correctly.  After burnout of the first stage, it would not decouple at the engine plate (I had to stage it manually).  After separation the second stage engines automatically ignited.  (This is the same behavior I typically got with the old Gravity Turn.)

You have a problem in your staging.  You have the 2nd and 3rd stage engines in the same stage.  When I fixed it, the first stage main engine didn't light when the srbs were released.  Another issue is that the SRBs by themselves can't lift the vessel, so I had to hack gravity to let it get off the ground.

There is still a problem, and in trying to fix this vessel, I came up with a few test cases I can use.

I'll have to load BetterSRBs before I can test the old test vessel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You have a problem in your staging.  You have the 2nd and 3rd stage engines in the same stage.  When I fixed it, the first stage main engine didn't light when the srbs were released.  Another issue is that the SRBs by themselves can't lift the vessel, so I had to hack gravity to let it get off the ground.

You're right, I messed up the staging.  After fixing the staging, I have the same problem as you - the first stage engine won't ignite after SRB separation.  However, stage 1 separation and stage 2 ignition now works correctly.  As far as the SRBs having insufficient thrust, I'm using BetterSRBs (I failed to mention that).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know how to set up the config for a 3.5x scale Kerbin + FAR? I'm trying to launch rockets with the default settings, and the mod keeps tipping over too steeply way too low. I've tried to change the settings, but they all end up with the same result of the rocket turning too sharply too low.

Using MechJeb's Ascent Guidance doesn't have this problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, bigyihsuan said:

I'd like to know how to set up the config for a 3.5x scale Kerbin + FAR? I'm trying to launch rockets with the default settings, and the mod keeps tipping over too steeply way too low. I've tried to change the settings, but they all end up with the same result of the rocket turning too sharply too low.

If the rocket is tipping too steeply too soon, there are three things that I typically do to fix it:

  • Increase Start m/s
  • Decrease Turn Angle
  • Increase Hold AP Start Time

Which items you change and by how much is pretty much trial and error.

 

Edited by OhioBob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, otobot1 said:

Will this ever be added to CKAN?

Already is. I just now checked. I suppose it is vaguely possible that it was added in the 2 hours between when you asked and when I checked, but I'd guess not. CKAN shows the release date as a month ago. Without more data, it's hard for me to say why you aren't seeing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, otobot1 said:

Oh. It shows up when I tell CKAN to show all instead of just compatible mods. My bad.

A possibility occurs to me. If I read the dependency data correctly, it conflicts with the original gravity turn [edited - um, I meant the not continued version]. THat would make sense that you can't have both. SO if you have the original, it will probably show as incompatible until you delete that.

Edited by rmaine
delete "continued"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rmaine said:

A possibility occurs to me. If I read the dependency data correctly, it conflicts with the original gravity turn continued. THat would make sense that you can't have both. SO if you have the original, it will probably show as incompatible until you delete that.

I don't have the original. Not sure why it wasn't showing up. Oh well. Got it working now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't believe I've only just found out about this - been looking for an autopilot that models it like this for ages. Integration with MechJeb's node execution for circularisation is really handy too, and so far seems much more reliably efficient than the Mechjeb ascent guidance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, Morphisor said:

Since I've been actually playing the game some lately, have had a lot of launches using this mod, it's still great.

There's however something bugging me: on a select few rockets, Gravityturn is very clumsy in flying, in some cases to the point of the rocket flipping over entirely. In each case this seems to be down to a permanent wobble, possibly over-correction of attitude which perpetuates. A few examples where this is very noticeable are the Tantares R-7 (any rocket using the R-7 base will do) and the BDB Agena upper stage - using available craft files so easy to reproduce. On the R-7 in fact it barely gets to orbit at all, cause the wobble turns into wild flipping all over. On the Agena it's no more than a constant wobble around the target vector.

There's nothing obvious that links these examples so I'm really not sure what causes it. Normally I'd say MandatoryRCS might have something to do with it, but the regular R-7 doesn't even use RCS; and other rockets with or without it are fine.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Am having exactly the same issue with rockets based on the Tantares R-7. Will have a go experimenting with different variations of it to see if I can work out what it's having trouble with specifically.

EDIT: Okay done some testing and it seems to be having an issue with the engines specifically. Using the same rocket with different engines & it flies smoothly. Same engines on a different rocket and the stability problems come back. Sticking loads of control surfaces on does seem to help it out a lot but in many cases doesn't come close to fixing the problem.

My working theory is it must be to do with the way @Bealeset up the engines with the vernier thrusters integrated into the same part as the main engine. So far I've observed the same issues with the soyuz lower stage engine, both versions of the soyuz upper stage engine, as well as the kosmos & proton upper stages that are set up in the same way with integrated verniers. all the other autopilots i've used don't seem to have any issues with the engines in question (and I've been using Tantares for a long time) so i dunno why it's happening

@Morphisordo the BDB engines you noticed the issue with have integrated verniers as well?

Edited by baldamundo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, baldamundo said:

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Am having exactly the same issue with rockets based on the Tantares R-7. Will have a go experimenting with different variations of it to see if I can work out what it's having trouble with specifically.

EDIT: Okay done some testing and it seems to be having an issue with the engines specifically. Using the same rocket with different engines & it flies smoothly. Same engines on a different rocket and the stability problems come back. Sticking loads of control surfaces on does seem to help it out a lot but in many cases doesn't come close to fixing the problem.

My working theory is it must be to do with the way @Bealeset up the engines with the vernier thrusters integrated into the same part as the main engine. So far I've observed the same issues with the soyuz lower stage engine, both versions of the soyuz upper stage engine, as well as the kosmos & proton upper stages that are set up in the same way with integrated verniers. all the other autopilots i've used don't seem to have any issues with the engines in question (and I've been using Tantares for a long time) so i dunno why it's happening

@Morphisordo the BDB engines you noticed the issue with have integrated verniers as well?

It would be a massive gut feeling on my part, but the way I and a few other mods do verniers (taking advantage of the array thrust multipliers) may be appear to have much more torque than they actually do, depending on how the plugin does calculations (If it's doing a more simple thrust * gimbal range etc.). Might be a weird edge case not accounted for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had something weird pop up with Gravity Turn Continued. Right now everything is fine right up till I get to 70km. At this point the mod should stop launch and either let me take control to circularize or auto-circularize, but now it's not doing this, I lose nearly all control of my ship, can't change time-warp speed, maneuver nodes to circularize aren't created, and the Abort button is non-functional.

It was working fine last night until I removed Real Antennas (didn't like it for my current playthough), and then this popped up. I added it back in, removed it again, and the problem remained.

Running KSP 1.10 (it was working perfectly even though it hasn't been updated from 1.9, and CKAN says Any)

This is one of my must-have mods, as I don't have fine-motor control with my hands making manually piloting craft for launches difficult (and painful).

Here's my Player.log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S3B96rlkF0j7WfZ8VOaLdt-G6tHqsOEa/view?usp=sharing

EDIT

Going over the log myself, I found this:

GravityTurn : Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
  at System.IO.Path.GetFileName (System.String path) [0x0001b] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0 
  at KSP.IO.IOUtils.GetFilePathFor (System.Type T, System.String file, Vessel flight) [0x00066] in <c1858a3f77504bd1aaa946fdccf84670>:0 
  at GravityTurn.LaunchDB.GetBaseFilePath (System.Type t, System.String sub) [0x00000] in <0823771a34ff4dd5a287402712751abe>:0 
 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

File 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program/GameData/GravityTurn/PluginData/gt_launchdb_KAN-02 "Progress II"_Kerbin.cfg' does not exist
 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

File 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\Plugins/PluginData/GravityTurn\gt_window_6378071.cfg' does not exist
 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

File 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\Plugins/PluginData/GravityTurn\gt_window_6378072.cfg' does not exist
 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

File 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\Plugins/PluginData/GravityTurn\gt_window_548302.cfg' does not exist
 
(Filename: C:\buildslave\unity\build\Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

File 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\GravityTurn\Plugins/PluginData/GravityTurn\gt_window_6378074.cfg' does not exist

Turns out I had Quotes in my ships name.

Removed those and everything worked fine.

Edited by aceman67
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, antipro said:

hi, I've just updated GT to the last version 1.8.1.3 from 1.8.1.2.

gt%20v1813.jpg?dl=1

At first I see the default "Destination Height (km)" is no longer 80 but 80000.
But the main issue is that the engine works intermittently, failing launch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oz7mq60qprzggk2/gt.mkv?dl=0

First, thanks for the video.

Second, I suspect your engine problem is due to the 80000 km.  Try changing it back to 80 and see what happens

Third, please get me a copy of the craft file for that vessel, so I can test.

I'll look into the 80000 km, but would like the craft file to test.   It's odd, because the only thing changed in this release was a fix for vessel name with quotes in it

Actually, a fix for an engine plate staging issue was also included, that's probably where the issue is

 

Edited by linuxgurugamer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...