[1.12.x] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches

linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Second, I suspect your engine problem is due to the 80000 km.  Try changing it back to 80 and see what happens

in the video you can see I set the destination to 120km.

Third, please get me a copy of the craft file for that vessel, so I can test.

I did test all my 13 crafts: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i1r8jbudjnipxig/AADal8gHmli5l4OqW0Ng-1Eva?dl=0
of these 13, only 5 have that problem: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wv5iw0jragjgtgf/AADwX0-OODghE9Sl8mNEiGK5a?dl=0
the craft in the video is named "gilly flyby"

It's odd, because the only thing changed in this release was a fix for vessel name with quotes in it

before installing the 1.8.1.3, I've checked the changelog, indeed it's odd for me too.

Actually, a fix for an engine plate staging issue was also included, that's probably where the issue is

I see now you've released a new update, I'm going to test it.

Edited by antipro

Actually, a fix for an engine plate staging issue was also included, that's probably where the issue is

with the v1.8.1.4 the default "Destination Height" is now ok, set back to 80km.
but on those 5 crafts I experience the same problem as the previous version.

58 minutes ago, antipro said:

with the v1.8.1.4 the default "Destination Height" is now ok, set back to 80km.
but on those 5 crafts I experience the same problem as the previous version.

I tried all 5 craft, you can see the results in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rbhxtfy7hv41qg/2020-11-27 13-07-27.mp4?dl=0

Short answer is that they all worked.  I'd suggest try making a new install and see what happens.  

Another think you can try is to remove the entire GravityTurn directory and then reinstall it,  That will delete any of the cache files which GT uses to do a better job over time.  It's possible something in those files are messed up

Edited by linuxgurugamer

43 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I tried all 5 craft..
..they all worked.  I'd suggest try making a new install and see what happens. 

Thanks for trying my ships.
Anyway, I uninstalled GT through CKAN, I purged all contents, restarted the pc but I have the same issue.
So sorry for the inconvenience, it's a problem relating my pc only.
I don't know what's going on, I'll do
further tests hoping to solve it.

@linuxgurugamer
I'm trying to figure out where the issue is.
As the following video shows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dxkc6q848kihh8/gt test 2.mkv?dl=0

1 - I load the vessel "gilly flyby", launch it and it fails.
2 - I revert to vehicle assembly, removing the upper parts, Z-200 battery and FL-R10 RCS fuel tank.
3 - Launch it again successfully.

It's weird, isn't it?

Edited by antipro

2 minutes ago, antipro said:

@linuxgurugamer
I'm trying to figure out where the issue is.
As the following video shows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dxkc6q848kihh8/gt test 2.mkv?dl=0

1 - I load the vessel "gilly flyby", launch it and it fails.
2 - I revert to vehicle assembly, removing the upper parts, Z-200 battery and FL-R10 RCS fuel tank.
3 - Launch it again successfully.

It's odd, isn't it?

Something is wrong with the install.  Make a new install with just GT  and its dependencies and try the same craft files in that

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Something is wrong with the install.  Make a new install with just GT  and its dependencies and try the same craft files in that

I've uninstalled KSP. Deleted CKAN.
I now have GT and its dependencies only.

gt%20only.jpg?dl=1

noway. I give up.

Edited by antipro

Just for the chronicle: I realized that with the v31813 and v31814, not only those 5 crafts have problems with engines,
but all my 13 crafts have a problem involving autostage that doesn't work.
After reverting to v31812: no more engines and autostage issues.
Fortunately I can still play.

gt%2031812.jpg?dl=1

Edited by antipro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2020 at 9:24 AM, Beale said:

It would be a massive gut feeling on my part, but the way I and a few other mods do verniers (taking advantage of the array thrust multipliers) may be appear to have much more torque than they actually do, depending on how the plugin does calculations (If it's doing a more simple thrust * gimbal range etc.). Might be a weird edge case not accounted for.

I just tried to do a Soyuz start with gravity turn. However the rocket sits on the pad going to full speed, throttling down to 0, back to full... and so on.

I am not sure on what to make out of this? Anyone experienced similar problems?

41 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

I just tried to do a Soyuz start with gravity turn. However the rocket sits on the pad going to full speed, throttling down to 0, back to full... and so on.

Well make sure your launch clamps actually decouple for one...

1 hour ago, chris-kerbal said:

Too heavy?  

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Too heavy?  

Apparently today is funny day.... :D But no, I am not in the craft, soo....

The craft flies perfectly fine if I do a manual start. Something seems to irritate gravityturn. Is there a log I could switch on, that would show, why it throttles up or down?
I suspect, that it is something specific to @Beale Tantares engines, as it is the first time I use them. I flew other crafts (stock, knes) before without problems. Will verify tomorrow, if it is just
that.

2 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

the rocket sits on the pad going to full speed, throttling down to 0, back to full... and so on.

Yes, me.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:24 AM, antipro said:

the engine works intermittently, failing launch.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:40 AM, antipro said:

After reverting to v31812: no more engines and autostage issues.

1 hour ago, chris-kerbal said:

So after testing on 1.9.1 I can confirm, that with 1.8.1.2 the crafts work as expected. Stock and Tantares parts.

Using 1.8.1.4 stock craft still work like expected, however a Tantares craft will just sit on the pad and switch throttle between 0 and 100%.

For Tantares I was using following craft: https://pastebin.com/qGr0Kvjd

This is helpful.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:40 PM, antipro said:

Just for the chronicle: I realized that with the v31813 and v31814,

This is not.  I have no idea what those version numbers you list are.  I vaguely remember the author may have used that version number format, I do not.  And its odd that you used this format, because in earlier posts you did refer to the version numbers that I use.  And I did try your vessels before, so don’t think I am belittling your report.

I’ll take another look at this issue.  It’s very odd that your vessels work for me but not for you, even in a clean install

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is not.  I have no idea what those version numbers you list are.  I vaguely remember the author may have used that version number format, I do not.  And its odd that you used this format, because in earlier posts you did refer to the version numbers that I use.  And I did try your vessels before, so don’t think I am belittling your report.

I’ll take another look at this issue.  It’s very odd that your vessels work for me but not for you, even in a clean install

it isnt? no problem, you'll no longer receive a word from me.
about the reported verisons are a typo cause I've read the CKAN Metadata versions but they are anyway still understandable.

Edited by antipro

4 hours ago, antipro said:

it isnt? no problem, you'll no longer receive a word from me.
about the reported verisons are a typo cause I've read the CKAN Metadata versions but they are anyway still understandable.

I apologize if you've taken offense, my comment was (IMHO) fairly clear.  CKAN Metadata is just that, metadata for CKAN.  If you look at CKAN, it list the mod version the way the mod author specifies it;  until you mentioned it, I didn't even know it was a thing.  I do intend to find this problem, but I need to replicate  it first

KyfN4qT.png

7 hours ago, antipro said:

in both Metadata and Versions Tabs the versions are shown with like that "3:1.8.1.4".
I read the wrong places, in a hurry, I was wrong, do we want to open a court case?

No, lets just agree that I was blunter than I should have been, and maybe you read more into what I said than was meant.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:50 AM, chris-kerbal said:

So after testing on 1.9.1 I can confirm, that with 1.8.1.2 the crafts work as expected. Stock and Tantares parts.

Using 1.8.1.4 stock craft still work like expected, however a Tantares craft will just sit on the pad and switch throttle between 0 and 100%.

Other than Tanteres, what other mods do you have installed?

Im going to set up a new install with just Tanteres in order to try to replicate this problem.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:50 AM, chris-kerbal said:

There are apparently multiple versions and parts to the Tantares mod.  Which ones did you have installed?

There are apparently multiple versions and parts to the Tantares mod.  Which ones did you have installed?

I have tons of mods installed, the full list is here: https://pastebin.com/9je5i0tt

For Tantares specifically the NewTantares (v22.2) and NewTantaresLV (v12.1) from CKAN.

EDIT: If I can help and put a test setup together, let me know.

Edited by chris-kerbal

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.