linuxgurugamer

[1.8.x,1.9.x] GravityTurn continued - Automated Efficient Launches

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Compared to what?

I haven't changed any of that, only the gui stuff

My manual launch. I used an entire 9 m/s of dV less than Gravity Turn. out of about 5100 total. :D

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

My manual launch. I used an entire 9 m/s of dV less than Gravity Turn. out of about 5100 total. :D

Now compare it to Mechjeb

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ew then i'd have to install MechJeb.

Actually I was thinking about it due to GT not circularizing afterward, but I hate the idea of installing the other 99% of of MechJeb for the 1% I want.

Edited by 5thHorseman

55 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Okay I did it. MechJeb took far longer than GravityTurn in real time and also seemed to not like its own ascent profile (I like low TWR upper stages so I think it expected more at that phase of the flight. It spent the majority of the time locked at 5 degrees up from prograde).

In spite of that, MechJeb blew us both out of the water. Beat me by 131m/s and GT by 142. And it auto-circularized.

Slightly confused by the comment about lack of auto-circularization. GT does auto-circularization for me. I find MJ's launch to be a pain from Kerbin; it likes to burn up my rockets unless I carefully manually tune it, which defeats a lot of the purpose. On the other hand, I do use MJ to launch from airless moons mostly just because it is so easy; click current inclination then click engage tends to be good enough and I'm usually not much worried about the efficiency from those moons.

BTW, I found out why I wasn't seeing the same skin as linuxguru was showing. I hadn't looked at the OP closely enough to notice that the settings page for the skin was under the game difficulty page of KSP. I had just been looking in the "setup" button of the mod's interface.

Posted (edited)

I'm kinda vet GT user I know why GT doesn't auto-circularization:

GT use mechjeb to do that, and if you haven't unlocked MJ maneuver planner yet, it won't do it.

btw ckan home page still link to old thread.

Edited by ssd21345

@linuxgurugamer - One thing I noticed when I got a chance to try it last night: The main window keeps it's position nicely between uses, but the stats widow forgets it's position.  (That is: On a second launch, the window doesn't open in the same location where it was when you closed it in the first launch.)  I didn’t check the advanced parameters window.

I don't use Blizzy's toolbar, so the new ToolbarController dependency just adds a pointless additional icon, which shows up in every scene.  Would it be possible to make it recommended instead of required and only register with it if it's present?