Kerbal-Doggies! Kerdogs? Kerbogs? Kogs? Goks? I don't know you try coming up with a better name to describe a kerbalized version of dogs because I certainly can't since Kerbalian phonetics are abysmal.

Bit of an odd idea I've been jostling around up in the confines of my noggin after watching a documentary on Laika, with the contributions that dogs and various other animals have made (albeit indirectly) to our understanding of space travel and it's effects on organic meat creatures why haven't there ever been any equivalent in KSP? I know Kerbals are a dime and dozen and the mortality rate for your average Kerman is quite horrifying as it is so there's not a lot of reason to use animals in place of Kerbals but I think adding Kerbalized dogs or animals as alternative crew members could bring some interesting gameplay to KSP2 especially with the game's upcoming features with colonization and in slightly more macabre note could even work as an accessible form of nutrition for colonies or large ships if life support does become a thing. They would also be in general being very cute to look at from time to time, which is definitely the most important reason.

Plus there is a psychological component to this that is clearly backed up by science because as long as I say that it totally is. If there happens to be a Kerbal-Dog as part of the crew on a vessel there would be much more incentive for us to be more strict with crossing our T's and dotting our I's when it comes to making everything functions as intended and remembering to bolt a parachute on the thing somewhere. Don't want that blood on your hands, or powder depending on what led to the poor thing's demise.

Yes I was also tempted to call Kerbal dogs "Kooches" after the word Pooch but then I realized that means something entirely different and even with the context would still sound rather risque wouldn't you say? Although I'm also very certain that a noticeable percentage of this community would be more then happy to see those too added the game.

Edited by Krulliam

we need doggos in ksp 2 And ksp 1. I wonder what they would look like. 

59 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

Jeb's dog eating the remains of bill after his re-entry.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh no why did i post that?

Is that doggo yours, or did you find that somewhere on the internet. 

real cursed.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:16 PM, RoninFrog said:

Somehow the Komondor just fits in Kerbal all too well.

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

+1 for Komondors

Oh dear heavens they look like gosh darn mops on legs aND I LOVE THEM AAAAAAAAAA.

Why necessary dogs?

Dogs are good with ketchup gravitationally-oriented on-ground creatures with 2d motions, while monkeys, humans, and cats are basically 3d branchers.
So, a big dog can hardly move along the space station in zero-g.

Small 3d animals could move but the inner space is too large for them, they will float helplessly between touching the walls.
The cats also have free-fall autopilot which overrides their manual tail control.

But a dog-sized squid-shaped mollusc could jump by tentacles and grab objects to anchor.
If it's like a snail in a shell, it can survive in air by closing its hatch.

So, I vote for a coastal snail-like squid / kalmar / hexapus with shell and six or four tentacles which can crawl at 1 g, jump and float in zero-g, stay alive in air but appreciate a fishtank for living.

A number of them could be used in a productive fishtanks (like greenhouses) to produce something useful like pearls or eggs.
(So this brings additional purpose to their test flights).

Upd.
An XL-sized shell covered with slime ablator could be used as a bionical capsule for a Kerbal.

Edited by kerbiloid

41 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Why necessary dogs?

Dogs are good with ketchup gravitationally-oriented on-ground creatures with 2d motions, while monkeys, humans, and cats are basically 3d branchers.

Small 3d animals could move but the inner space is too large for them, they will float helplessly between touching the walls.
The cats also have free-fall autopilot which overrides their manual tail control.

But a dog-sized squid-shaped mollusc could jump by tentacles and grab objects to anchor.

So, I vote for a coastal snail-like squid / kalmar / hexapus with shell and six or four tentacles which can crawl at 1 g, jump and float in zero-g, stay alive in air but appreciate a fishtank for living.

A number of them could be used in a productive fishtanks (like greenhouses) to produce something useful like pearls or eggs.

Upd.
An XL-sized shell covered with slime ablator could be used as a bionical capsule for a Kerbal.

So basically, the kraken.

44 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

A mini-kraken, a krakino.

Turning the kraken from the scourge of KSP to something than can be helpful. I like the idea. Treat him well, he'll help you. Treat him poorly, here comes his bigger relative to ruin your day.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Why necessary dogs?

Upd.

hmmmm, yes but Only if it matches the cuteness of a dog and acts like one.