ALTGR and throttle.

Is there a way to stop the right alt key from throttleing down? All I can find in settings is this. 

THROTTLE_DOWN
{
    primary = LeftControl
    secondary = None
    group = 0
    modeMask = 1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}

Edited by dave1904

8 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Is there a way to stop the right alt key from throttleing down? All I can find in settings is this. 

I have no idea what i am talking about but did you try binding right alt key to something else?

Like a total random keybind, can you even do that?

1 minute ago, Boyster said:

I have no idea what i am talking about but did you try binding right alt key to something else?

Like a total random keybind, can you even do that?

The problem is that right alt is the modifier key just like left alt. What I do not understand is why the right alt key is automatically assigned to throttle down not idea why. I can remove it but then I cannot use the right alt to physical timewarp.

MODIFIER_KEY
{
    primary = LeftAlt
    secondary = RightAlt
    group = 0
    modeMask = -1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}

14 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

The problem is that right alt is the modifier key just like left alt. What I do not understand is why the right alt key is automatically assigned to throttle down not idea why. I can remove it but then I cannot use the right alt to physical timewarp.

MODIFIER_KEY
{
    primary = LeftAlt
    secondary = RightAlt
    group = 0
    modeMask = -1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}

I did some google search i found this

I found the cause of this problem. I was using the US international keyboard layout. This uses the right ALT key as ALT GR. Changing the layout to US solved this problem for me.

Maybe its a keyboard layout problem?
Edited by Boyster

10 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I did some quick google search i found this

I found the cause of this problem. I was using the US international keyboard layout. This uses the right ALT key as ALT GR. Changing the layout to US solved this problem for me.

Maybe its a keyboard layout problem?

Nope doesn't work.

As you can see in settings Throttle down is assigned to LeftCtrl so I have no idea why right alt also does it. 

THROTTLE_DOWN
{
    primary = LeftControl
    secondary = None
    group = 0
    modeMask = 1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}

Edited by dave1904

18 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Nope doesn't work.

Can you try something?Just curious.

Open notepad type anything and select it then hit Alt+C and then Alt+V

You know the shortcuts Ctrl+C that copies and ctrl+v that pastes it.

See if alt does the same as ctrl, far fetches i am just a bit curious at this point lol.

I think it must have to do something with keyboard layout, everytime you hit alt it changes layout or something...maybe...lol.

Maybe something with Scroll lock or a Fn button, i am just googling and it feels like thats where your problem is and not with the game itself.

Edited by Boyster

2 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Can you try something?Just curious.

Open notepad type anything and select it then hit Alt+C and then Alt+V

You know the shortcuts Ctrl+C that copies and ctrl+v that pastes it.

See if alt does the same as ctrl, far fetches i am just a bit curious at this point lol.

I tryed it to be 100% sure but the alt keys work just fine for everything else. 

Are you telling me that when you play ksp and you press ALTGR it doesnt throttle down? 

3 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I tryed it to be 100% sure but the alt keys work just fine for everything else. 

Are you telling me that when you play ksp and you press ALTGR it doesnt throttle down? 

Yeah it has never done that, Alt doesnt throttle down.

2 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

and you use LeftCTL and Shift to throttle? In 3000 hours its allways been the case for me. I assumed that was the way it was.

Yeah 1400 hours here, always ctrl and shift to throttle, alt to physical warp no effect to throttle.

Do you have a weird keyboard? like a local language keyboard?

Windows right?

Edited by Boyster

2 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Yeah 1400 hours here, always ctrl and shift to throttle, alt to physical warp no effect to throttle.

Do you have a weird keyboard? like a local language keyboard?

Windows right?

windows 7 and a g910 UK Layout.. I am no keyboard expert and have no idea about layouts because for everything I have ever done it has worked fine. 

1 minute ago, dave1904 said:

windows 7 and a g910 UK Layout.. I am no keyboard expert and have no idea about layouts because for everything I have ever done it has worked fine. 

Hmm i have logitech keyboard as well and it has a Game mode button that disables certain buttons like alt tab i think? do you have logitech software for that?

Maybe its something there you can do? Logitech G hub

1 minute ago, Boyster said:

Hmm i have logitech keyboard as well and it has a Game mode button that disables certain buttons like alt tab i think? do you have logitech software for that?

Maybe its something there you can do? Logitech G hub

What Keyboard do you have? After googling it doing a keyboard test I found out that AltGR being used as ctrl+alt is a feature. Now I need to disable that. I hate control panel.... 

I dont even think that is possible without going into registry. Something that I would rather not do because if I ever need the key will have forgotten about it. 

25 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

What Keyboard do you have? After googling it doing a keyboard test I found out that AltGR being used as ctrl+alt is a feature. Now I need to disable that. I hate control panel.... 

I dont even think that is possible without going into registry. Something that I would rather not do because if I ever need the key will have forgotten about it. 

I have G213, i spent some google time, it doesnt seem like an easy fix, maybe try to switch to another layout like US or different UK and see whats up,

lots of confusing info on the internet in this matter :D.Btw try not to download any programs they offer, they usually have malware.

11 minutes ago, Boyster said:

I have G213, i spent some google time, it doesnt seem like an easy fix, maybe try to switch to another layout like US or different UK and see whats up,

lots of confusing info on the internet in this matter :D.Btw try not to download any programs they offer, they usually have malware.

thanks anyway. 

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

Yeah it has never done that, Alt doesnt throttle down.

"alt" is not the same as "alt gr" ;)

And indeed, "alt gr" will actually throttle down your craft and the reason is quiet simple to find, if you try to bind the key ingame. When KSP ask you to press a key to bind and you press "alt gr", it will recognize it as "LeftControl".

After a quick google search, I found this on stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42863842/altgr-vs-leftctrl

Most important part:

Because of this I would be inclined to say that this is a limitation of the .NET Framework, at least in the version that I'm using(4.5.2) and that the answer to your question in this case is, no you cannot distinguish between Left Ctrl + Right Alt and Right Alt

So this seems to be a limitation of the .NET framework, which is used in Unity (the game engine KSP is build on) and therefore, I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

So the solution is to not bind altgr to anything?

Because i never had the problem with altgr throttling down.

55 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

thanks anyway. 

Check what Cheesecake said, maybe the solution is to just unbind it from everywhere ingame.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.