[OLD] VOID - Vessel Orbital Information Display

Iannic-ann-od

Ha, its funny I've just started doing something like this but as partmodule to add to the different pods. The doubt i had myself is that in 0.17 there will be some sort of in-game tool allowing to phase angle recognition or even the angle displayed in the orbital map.

Anyway if you check the rendezvous module of last mechjeb version, it has a nice gui to select bodies or vessels. The only thing it's missing is the phase angle :D and the possibility to switch the reference body which will come useful in the next update.

Also in your angle calculation, your code despite being probably correct it can be made lot easier by using the implicit operators on Vector3d, i.e :

Vector3d v1 = vessel.mainBody.position;
Vector3d v2 = orbitingBody.position; // assuming orbitingBody exist
Vector3d v3 = referenceBody.position; // assuming referenceBody exist

Vector3d vA1 = v1 - v3; // Vector between the center of ref body and vessel
Vector3d vA2 = v2 - v3; // Vector between the center of ref body and orbiting body

double angle = Vector3d.Angle(vA1,vA2)

All the vectorial maths are included in the class Vector3d. :)

Finally if you give the projected angle on the actual orbital plane that can lead to disastrous approaches moreover when planets are added.

I think its preferable to have the real angle between vectors AND the planes (mis)alignment angle, this way you can judge what is your real position.

Cheers,

The doubt i had myself is that in 0.17 there will be some sort of in-game tool allowing to phase angle recognition or even the angle displayed in the orbital map.

I don't mind at all if it becomes obsolete with 0.17. I assume it will at some point, but I couldn't wait.

I am going to try adding a toggle to display lines for the vectors like RemoteTech Relay Network uses soon also.

Also in your angle calculation, your code despite being probably correct it can be made lot easier by using the implicit operators on Vector3d, i.e :

Vector3d v1 = vessel.mainBody.position;
Vector3d v2 = orbitingBody.position; // assuming orbitingBody exist
Vector3d v3 = referenceBody.position; // assuming referenceBody exist

Vector3d vA1 = v1 - v3; // Vector between the center of ref body and vessel
Vector3d vA2 = v2 - v3; // Vector between the center of ref body and orbiting body

double angle = Vector3d.Angle(vA1,vA2)

All the vectorial maths are included in the class Vector3d. :)

Thanks! Simpler is always better.

Finally if you give the projected angle on the actual orbital plane that can lead to disastrous approaches moreover when planets are added.

I think its preferable to have the real angle between vectors AND the planes (mis)alignment angle, this way you can judge what is your real position.

Cheers,

This is a very good idea. I will get with Google and see what can be done. :)

It sounds like you have the files in the right places. If you moved the entire rbr_VOID folder into parts, that is good. And only the .dll goes into Plugins.

Are you seeing the part in the VAB? It's under the Command & Control tab. Looks just like the SAS module so make sure you aren't grabbing the wrong one.

Once the part has been added to your ship and you send it to the launchpad, the window will pop up.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The new VOID module is a real treat. It should be a standard part of every probe.

Here we can see that Moho's atmosphere actually start way above the 14km altitude (closer to 27km, 28km according to the wiki).

And man is it hot ! Even an ion engine overheats easily.

screenshot80v.png

screenshot86o.png

Nice mod, I did run into some conflicts when I had it on a rocket with both the Romfarer Lazor System and kerbal combined engineer redux mods.

When I tried to turn on some of Void's functions it would turn the other two mods on and off.

And man is it hot ! Even an ion engine overheats easily.

Ya, that is brutal. Did you get all the way to the surface? Curious the temp there. I was just at Laythe and I have to say that it was much more hospitable.

Nice mod, I did run into some conflicts when I had it on a rocket with both the Romfarer Lazor System and kerbal combined engineer redux mods.

When I tried to turn on some of Void's functions it would turn the other two mods on and off.

Oops! XD Thank you for letting me know.

Sooooo...what are the chances of outputting all that raw data somewhere? A la ISAMapSat... That'd be nifty. We could make graphs and stuff. Not really any compelling reason to do so, but...graphs! Lines! Things! Science!

Your reasons are plenty compelling enough for me. :) Plus I've been meaning to learn how to save and load the window positions and I think this would tie right in. I'll see what I can do. For science!

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a difference between the direct day light and shaded temperatures?

So if your space craft passes behind a planet or the sun goes down if you have landed it gets colder.

They have a plug-in that tracks the sun for the solar panels and does something similar for how much energy they produce, so maybe a modification of that?

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if it would be possible to have a difference between the direct day light and shaded temperatures?

That's a good idea. I will see what I can do. Don't hold your breath though, good chance I will have to find someone to help me math that.

You should add dV to the transfer angle window.

I've put Transfer Velocity back into the display for the new version. Subtract your current velocity from it and you have the dV.

Hey, excellent plugin, one issue though the data displayed blinks in and out when at high warp speeds.

Thanks! Were you using the 3-man pod? I get random blinking of any plugin windows when using that pod, most often at 1x warp. I haven't noticed it with any other pods, though. I'm not sure what I can do to fix it at the moment.

Something's wrong with the Physical Characteristics section.

VOID lists Kerbin's radius as 600km, which is correct.

VOID's Surface area result is 4,523,893 km^2. Aso correct.

Volume is listed as 6.97*10^8 km^3. Assuming that same 600-km radius, it should be about 9.05 *10^8 kg.

Mass is listed as 5.29 * 10 ^19 kg. It's actually 5.29 * 10^22 kg. I think you're assuming that the game stats are offering the mass in grams, when they're offering it in kilograms.

Using the actual mass and volume results in a density of about 58,500 kg/m^3 instead of VOID's 77.98 kg/m^3.