what was you're most painful hour, or day, or minute...

Dirkidirk

Your least favorite manchild has arrived to tarnish this forum with his stupidity and a new post!

what was the most the most pain you have ever experienced?

well for me:

Onceus uponus a timus, around fall of 2018 (or was it 2019), me, my siblings and my father were removing large-ish rocks from my backyard and placing them in a wheelbarrow, when my pinkie finger was crushed between two rocks. It didn't really hurt that much, but unbeknownst to me my finger got chronic paronychia, and in the next two weeks it inflated to double its original size, and eventually separated my nail from my finger. But that wasn't the most painful part, it was my attempt at stopping it. yOu SeE, two months prior to this a similar thing happened to my thumb, but it ceased when my thumb accidentally impacted a thing, which led to the pus draining and my thumb returning to its original size. remembering this, I had the Brilliant Idea of hitting my pinkie against a hard wooden surface, and a few seconds later my red appendage impacted a surface at great speeds. And just so you know, nO pus came out of that finger. I prooooooooooobably had more painful experiences, like that one time 5 year old me stuck his arm into a broken window, Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I already wrote all of this, so... how about YOU.Image result for finger pointing at you emoji

Edited by Dirkidirk

Oh that kind of pain. Okay I'll talk about that.

Elective surgery on my man parts. It's pretty common and I suppose you can figure it out. Anyway, for whatever reason the severe, piercing pain I felt was in my left pectoral muscle. It was exactly the most pain I could bear without crying out.

I had a wisdom tooth and a molar removed whilst the anaesthetic was working at about 20% due to infection.

The teeth were at awkward angles (hence the infection) and it took....too long.

I had hand-print sweat patches on my thighs from where I was grabbing my trousers.

I feel sorry for the guy getting dental treatment in the next room, hearing my...well not screams, since my mouth was full of dentist and I really didnt want to move.....but noises certainly.

Afterwards, it felt like a heavyweight boxer had just wailed on my face for half an hour.

The next time, several years later, I needed dental work, I told the dentist of my experiences and he gave me SO MUCH anaesthetic I was practically drinking it. Including one he injected directly into an abscess which was briefly almost as painful as the above.

In recent memory?

Probably my abscess tooth from last year.

Man that thing hurt. Couldn’t sleep.

Though the nerve was dead by the time I got the root canal procedure - so that didn’t hurt too much.

Besides that my big toe once hurt so bad I thought I had broken it. I got lucky though, it wasn’t broken.

I stopped counting how many times I ended on a "butcher's table" in my life. Mostly for "essential" surgeries, but also because I did stupid things.

Just like @5thHorseman, I "enjoyed" some experiences around my private parts. Four times, along six years (first three surgeons butchers weren't really capable). Anyway, my left arm is now the only portion of my body which has not been cut...

Strangely, my worst pain experience isn't related to surgery, but the "burst" of one of my sinuses. I was 14 years old at the time, and had just started to pay me some flying lessons (it was still legal at the time). That day, I could feel that my sinuses were "full", I was having trouble breathing with my nostrils. Anyway, I did not tell my instructor about, and we left for a short navigation of about 100 minutes. The climb and the cruise went smoothly, then came the descent. All I can remember is the feeling of a little bubble in my left nostril slowly rising up the canal, until it just "pop". It almost made me pass out, and I can't describe the pain it causes. Fortunately, I was not alone that day, because I don't know if I could have landed by myself.

It is quite difficult to explain. I've experienced the cleaning of my wounds with a water jet and without anesthetic (because in our little Caribbean hospital the stock was low and "reserved to severe cases"), but none of these procedures ever reached the level of pain of that sinus burst.

Anyway, I recently (6 months ago) had the right to another intervention... injections under my skull's epidermis. Once again, without local anesthesia. Strangely the pain was much more intense than I expected. I think my body is tired of being cut, and has become more and more sensitive over time.

Dislocated right shoulder. It was seriously, the most intense pain I've ever experienced. When it came out all of the muscles in my shoulder tensed up and it pulled the head of my humerus up over my clavicle. They were able to perform a closed reduction on it, but only after they doped me up something fierce in the ER.

A close second was a dislocated left knee, locked with a bucket-handle tear of the medial meniscus. I was at home alone on a Saturday morning when it happened, couldn't even put my toes on the ground to balance myself. And my phone was in the next room. So I had to hobble along the wall on one foot to get to the phone to call someone to come get me to the hospital. Went to the ER, luckily the on-call was an ortho. So I went straight from the ER to surgery prep, was in recovery by dinner time.

Honestly, compared to either of those, the eight-inch sternotomy I had for my aneurysm repair was a walk in the park.

Edited by TheSaint

4 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Probably my abscess tooth from last year.

Man that thing hurt. Couldn’t sleep.

Fifteen or sixteen years ago, I guess.  That was horrible.  Whiskey was the only reason I was able to sleep at all until I could get to a doc for some painkillers.  Not something I'd ever want to go through again.

My most painful injury would have been around 1992, and was games related... sort of.

I'd just bought a SNES console from someone I knew and was excitedly running out of their place towards my car, clutching my Street Fighter edition box, when I stepped off the curb. Somehow I landed badly wrong on my left foot, wrenching the ankle. I hobbled the last couple of steps to the car (thankfully I wasn't driving that day) and fell into the passenger seat.

On the way home I had the window open and was hyperventillating out of it. For about 2 years after that I couldn't run properly, if I tried to quickly cross a street I'd start jogging across, then have to pull up after a couple steps and slow down to a walk.

Even today that ankle's just not right.

Edited by purpleivan

On 3/24/2020 at 6:16 PM, RoninFrog said:

I stubbed my toe walking up the stairs today.

wha... LUCKY. :mad:

<snipped - image of a badly stubbed toe with broken skin>

um... nevermind.

but still, be glad that you didn't do something like urinate out a kidney stone or have your ear ripped off. I am.

Spoiler
On 3/24/2020 at 1:47 PM, TheSaint said:

the head of my humerus up over my clavicle.

what is that? hold on *googles it* oh, oh

Edited by adsii1970
Removed graphic image of toe injury

After my wisdom teeth were removed, I was on painkillers for a couple weeks. During that time, it hurt like a stab wound when I woke up in the morning with the drug having worn off in the night. I got up early a few days, since I wouldn't get any more rest anyway. After about a week, it started hurting more like a bruise as it got better.

On 3/24/2020 at 6:49 PM, Dirkidirk said:

<snipped - image of a badly stubbed toe with broken skin>

Oooh... my weekly result when I was working on boats.

Wherever you are on a boat, and whatever its size and generation, a boat is NEVER designed so you will not slip, trip, or open your skin  :mad:  Seriously, it's almost like any naval engineer to whom one would speak about human factors would answer, "The human what?". Also, "Oh, this main deck seems perfectly clear and practical to walk on... I should put a few cleats here and there."

Edited by adsii1970
Removed graphic image of toe injury

Hey, folks -

I know we all like to share images of our battle wounds - it's part of our society. But because of this:

Forum Rule 2.2c: Content unsuitable for children, e.g. nudity, sexually suggestive or explicit images, excessive violence, gore and recreational drugs;

We'd rather not have more graphic images shared. So, in consultation with the moderator team, we decided that it would be better for this thread to not allow any picture at all. Sure, we removed a mangled toe image and while it is certainly not rule breaking on its own right, in the context of this thread, it could be used as a gateway image for more images which highlight excessive violence and gore which would be in violation of the forum rules. So, that's the reason the image posted was snipped.  :P

But please, continue to share the stories of your battle wounds. :) Sometimes misery loves company and others, we love to know someone else was in worse pain than we experienced! :0.0::blush:;)

Can I do a prescient one?

I have a broken rib at the moment - nothing to do but try not to stress it until it heals. But if I do contract COVID-19 with its racking cough, Im in for some pretty severe agony.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.