[1.8.x-1.12.x] Reentry Particle Effect Renewed [26-Mar-2020]

leatherneck6017

Originally written by @pizzaoverhead. The mod hasn't been updated since game version 1.6.1 and the author hasn't been around or replied to my email inquiry. I enjoy the mod so I'm adopting it.

• Original thread here: 

Features

This mod adds code to display an unused stock particle effect for reentry, featuring a plasma trail and sparks.

Pics:

Spoiler

yxXsCjS.jpgKOgZElc.jpg

Video:

Spoiler

Installation

Unzip to \GameData

Dependencies

• None

Downloads

License

Continued from orginal: GPLv2

To-do List

• Add ability for user to adjust visual options such as trail length, sparks only, etc.

Change log

Spoiler

• Fixed minimum KSP version

• Adopted by leatherneck6017
  • Compile against KSP 1.9.1 and NET 4.7.2
  • Add .sln and .csproj
  • Add changelog

Please report any issues here or on GitHub, thanks!

Edited by leatherneck6017
update compatible KSP version

2 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

License

Continued from orginal: GPLv2

Unfortunately, that's not quite correct (emphasis added):

On 7/3/2016 at 9:01 PM, pizzaoverhead said:

Download packages, art and sound assets, binaries and libraries licensed All Rights Reserved.

Source included, project also available on github licenced under GPL v2.

1 minute ago, leatherneck6017 said:

What assets are ARR here? I took the source code and compiled my own DLL.

Yeah, I see that after looking into it more closely. I guess that was boilerplate that the author pasted whether it was relevant or not?

5 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

That's the way I took it.

Is this release really compatible all the way back to KSP 1.3.0? Seems worth double checking since it contains a DLL.

https://github.com/leatherneck6017/ReentryParticleEffectRenewed/blob/a984ff58e30fa758b996ecd5fdeeae92174272ac/ReentryParticleEffectRenewed.version#L16-L20

"KSP_VERSION_MIN": {
    "MAJOR": 1,
    "MINOR": 3,
    "PATCH": 0
  }

White Bird:  Flight Tower, are we cleared for 70,000 meters?

Flight Tower:  How the hell are you going to get up to 70,000 meters?

White Bird:  Correction on that last transmission, we want to go DOWN to 70,000 meters.

Flight Tower: .... You're cleared for 70,000 meters....

8vo2kmv.pngDxmb8kH.png

15 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Is there any way to get just the spark effects and not the plasma trail? I think the sparks look great but the trail is overkill and I don't like it.

That's a good feature request. Raise an issue on GitHub and I'll look into it.

11 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

Hey @leatherneck6017 really appreciate it that you adopted this mod. I really used to enjoy it! Thanks!

You're welcome. I've always enjoyed the extra immersion from these visuals, glad to maintain it.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for keeping this mod alive. I'm honestly not sure what stock re-entries even look like anymore, I've been playing with this so long.

Now that I'm (finally) updating to 1.8.1, I wanted to check if there are any known incompatibilities with the 1.9 recompile running against 1.8.1 KSP?

I'll go ahead and install and report back any issues I might see. Again, thanks for taking over this mod!

44 minutes ago, DY_ZBX said:

Thank you for keeping this mod alive.

I have a question.

In the rocket launch phase, after the speed reaches a certain value, the effect also occurs. How to deal with this problem?ThdbjjQ.png

brK0yFf.png

If you're going fast enough, the effect will trigger regardless of if you're going up or down. Try launching a bit more steeply (turn later or to a smaller angle) to climb higher with less overall velocity before accelerating to orbit- it might be slightly less efficient but it will most likely stop the plasma trail.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

If you're going fast enough, the effect will trigger regardless of if you're going up or down. Try launching a bit more steeply (turn later or to a smaller angle) to climb higher with less overall velocity before accelerating to orbit- it might be slightly less efficient but it will most likely stop the plasma trail.

Thank you.I'm still thinking, is this the egg of this mod,HH.

Edited by DY_ZBX

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

@leatherneck6017 any progress on switching the trail/sparks off individually?

I've had zero time for KSP the last couple of months :(. I do remember writing some of the code before my hiatus. Hopefully my schedule will clear up a bit this summer so I can get back to KSP in general, and the code for this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.