Flights of Fancy Ep.1 - The Martin P6M Seamaster

Servo

A Seaplane Bomber that Failed to Break any Ground

In 1950, the Navy was left without an effective nuclear platform in an era where it needed one to stay relevant in the interservice politics of the day - and the Seamaster was their ticket to changing that. Fleets of seaplane bombers would form a mobile, resilient, and hard to detect striking force with the help and supply of submarines and dedicated support vessels. From there, they could carry nuclear payloads deep into the Soviet Union after launching from places where no Air Force bomber could hope to launch.

Despite the many marvels of Engineering that went into making the Seamaster a reality, it was doomed to the history books as a failed project. For the details of the story, please enjoy this video  - I put a lot of time and effort into making it.

The Craft Download can be found here:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/P6M-Seamaster

I'm planning on making this a series showcasing the flops, failures, and fantasies of the Aviation world. The next video will likely showcase the F-111B Aardvark and tell the story of how a failed joint strike fighter of sorts led to the development of the greatest carrier-based interceptor ever - the F-14 Tomcat. As this is a new series, I'd love to hear your comments on it below, or just ideas for future stories to tell in this medium. Until then, cheers, and happy flying!

-Servo

Really enjoyed this! Also found it very interesting to watch in the time-lapse how you built the replica,causw normally you don't see that from replica builders. Possible suggestion, add text annotation during the video to help explain what you're doing and/or why for those not so experienced in replica building. Can give ideas/tips to others, though I also realize that creates more work during the editing process. 

Looking forward to the next one. Maybe another interesting one is the cancelled Boeing 2707 SST. 

On 3/27/2020 at 7:02 AM, qzgy said:

Really enjoyed this! Also found it very interesting to watch in the time-lapse how you built the replica,causw normally you don't see that from replica builders. Possible suggestion, add text annotation during the video to help explain what you're doing and/or why for those not so experienced in replica building. Can give ideas/tips to others, though I also realize that creates more work during the editing process. 

Looking forward to the next one. Maybe another interesting one is the cancelled Boeing 2707 SST. 

Thanks! I was really torn between doing the pure history lesson and a combo building/talk. You're not the first person who's said they'd like to see more of the replica talk, so I'll make sure to include that in any future videos.

Also - the 2707 is a perfect topic for one of these videos! Thanks for the suggestion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.