What could be in the next dlc

What should be in the next DLC  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What should be in the next DLC

• More planets further from the sun along with things to explore them E.G. larger nuclear engines and ion drives, nuclear reactors, bigger antennas, xenon refinery, life support(they can still live for a year in a capsule
    • Bases being useful E.G mining operations where you can get rare stuff to send back to kerbin, Nuclear reactors and xenon refinery as well(so moho and tylo bases work without insane amounts of batteries), Colonization mechanics
    • Space stations having a use e.g science and funds over time, orbit specific experiments that need time to run
    • being able to launch from other planets if a launchpad is set up there
    • life support and colonization
    • other, if other write down below
  2. 2. should there be a new dlc

• Yes
    • No

On 3/29/2020 at 8:11 AM, kerbiloid said:

As they don't want fauna, then bouyancy, i.e. airships and submersibles.

Totally agreed : better physic :

- DLC : airships & submarine parts

- Stock physic improvement :

- Water buoyancy improvement.

- Wheels improvement : better landing gear handling, no more phantom force bounces for suspension & landing legs.

- Better aerodynamics and wind-tunnel type data. I want to stall more ! Well, I already do thanks to FAR, but continuing improving stock aero model would be great.

- Never forget : CLOUDS ;P (volumetric ones would go very well with airship based ISRU).

Better ISRU operations would be something I would love too : more materials (not many, something like 3 or 5 maximum). Why not nuclear fuel for Nerv & added nuclear reactors ? Only findable on other bodies than Kerbin (or only underwater on kerbin ?) ? My next playthrough will probably include a mod for more complex ressource system.

Speaking of that, I hate the current overheating thing about the small ISRU (Convert-O-Tron 125). I know it is intended to force the player to use the small ISRU by burst, but I'll bet that mining is made with vessel on-rail most of the time (so bursts are not pratical). Seeing that thermal efficiency < 100% for no good reason is just a thorn in the foot of people with OCD :sticktongue: There are also too many numbers to arrive to the final efficiency. Without the wiki, it is hard to figure out how it works. Extraction efficiency is basically useless for drills : directly put the ore/second on ground and on asteroids, it would be clearer. Telling the engineer bonus would also be usefull. Speaking of engineers, I tend to think ISRU are OP with skilled engineers onboard and underpowered on automatic probes. Passing from a 0.05 factor to 1.25 for a max level engineer is a bit too much. I would prefer a different balance, for exemple the small ISRU to be only able to make a basic fuel giving limited delta V (monoprop for example) and the bigger one to do everything. Maybe I'll make a MM patch to implement that. That way, fully automated probes would be more practical, but limited to less efficient engines. Currently, it is more practical to build a monster with the biggest ISRU and a lot of drills to achieve relatively short refuelling times on a automated probe. I discovered that while trying to make a Mun vehicle designed to lift a small science rover for multiple hops.

Well, I'm going off-topic so I will stop there.

note, the life support can be disabled and you only have to care if you are going on a years long mission, and if you are there will be a part that is unlocked in advanced exploration that lets you freeze your kerbals should anything go wrong. Also anything that lengthens the mission will cause the kerbals to act like tourists.

more planets

They will probably never release another DLC, I would love one, but KSP2 will make it unable to do another one. Once the sequel comes out, kinda gonna be a crusher to the player base, and SQUAD may find it a waste to do another one for a select group that stayed.

3 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

They will probably never release another DLC, I would love one, but KSP2 will make it unable to do another one. Once the sequel comes out, kinda gonna be a crusher to the player base, and SQUAD may find it a waste to do another one for a select group that stayed.

Ofc is Private Division doesn't mess up KSP 2 royally(wich is now trendy to mess up promising games)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, kspnerd122 said:

write what you want after voting

Honestly, the poll is kinda saying what KSP2 has been showing us, more launchpads, more planets etc. So, there is honestly little to no point in these DLCs with KSP coming in late 2020 early 2021 (Hopefully sooner). I love KSP and I would like to see another, but as I said, it is highly unlikely with KSP2 around the corner.

Assistance / improved handling of manoveur nodes so it is less a dark art to find transfer and swing by.

I do use MechJeb currently for transfer planning, but you just pick a point and then some transfer is created, however I would prefer to have an easier explorative way that as well lets me change parameters without loosing target. So really it is about another parameterization than the current orbital directions.

On 4/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, Mikenike said:

Honestly, the poll is kinda saying what KSP2 has been showing us, more launchpads, more planets etc. So, there is honestly little to no point in these DLCs with KSP coming in late 2020 early 2021 (Hopefully sooner). I love KSP and I would like to see another, but as I said, it is highly unlikely with KSP2 around the corner.

Im wondering if squad intends for ksp to compete with ksp2. Why else woud they be updating textures and still making improvments to the base game a decade later and after the announcement of a sequel? Maybe im wrong, but ive NEVER seen a studio go to the length squad has improving ksp. Also, from what ive seen on the forums, many ksp players are using really old hardware that simply wont run a modern game. Finally, from my understanding, ksp2 has no right to use any of the new textures or dlc's. That sounds like competition to me.

54 minutes ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Im wondering if squad intends for ksp to compete with ksp2. Why else woud they be updating textures and still making improvments to the base game a decade later and after the announcement of a sequel? Maybe im wrong, but ive NEVER seen a studio go to the length squad has improving ksp. Also, from what ive seen on the forums, many ksp players are using really old hardware that simply wont run a modern game. Finally, from my understanding, ksp2 has no right to use any of the new textures or dlc's. That sounds like competition to me.

It is an interesting question. In one sense, they are keeping the core of players engaged while we await the new game.  I think they also successfully fended off mass migration to things like Simple Rockets.

I spend too much time in KSP, and frankly need to cut down and get a few other things down (like picking up my trumpet again) but while I see a lot of fun times spent in KSP2, it will be far from a finished game, and Breaking Ground is just so good, that it is going to mean that while KSP2 may be a "sequel" it is more of a parallel re-imagining (with better coding underneath).  

I bet the price of KSP 1 comes down significantly once KSP2 is released and it acts as an entry point for newer players who may not want to shell out $60 until they know what they are getting into.

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

It is an interesting question. In one sense, they are keeping the core of players engaged while we await the new game.  I think they also successfully fended off mass migration to things like Simple Rockets.

I spend too much time in KSP, and frankly need to cut down and get a few other things down (like picking up my trumpet again) but while I see a lot of fun times spent in KSP2, it will be far from a finished game, and Breaking Ground is just so good, that it is going to mean that while KSP2 may be a "sequel" it is more of a parallel re-imagining (with better coding underneath).  

I bet the price of KSP 1 comes down significantly once KSP2 is released and it acts as an entry point for newer players who may not want to shell out $60 until they know what they are getting into.

I suppose it all depends on the success of ksp2. Many people are still now just discovering ksp. Ksp has always been one of those, obscure "hidden gems". It also took ksp a VERY long time to come to maturity. ksp2 needs the modders to be successful like ksp. If ksp loses all its modders it is done for because console players will have a smaller barrier for entry compared to pc gamers (harware cost) and are more likely to make the transition.  And when i think about the price point, you would be buying a cheaper, still actively developed game with relatively recent dlc that is not available in ksp2. Not a bad deal. I wanted stock robotics for the longest time. Im not sure i can live without that in ksp2.

Give us a DLC focused on allowing ships to operate independently of Kerbin.

• Reactors fueled with Fissionable.
    • First model available somewhere around tech tree tier 7, significantly before RTGs, but there's no way to obtain Fissionable outside Kerbin at this point. I'm thinking Rockomax or Kerbodyne diameter.
    • The existing drills can mine Raw Fissionable, which is a separate resource from Ore and cannot be processed with the existing Convert-O-Trons.
    • Instead, Raw Fissionable needs its own machinery to process into Fissionable.
    • Additionally, the tech tree node that gives the RTG would also unlock a breeder reactor. This one isn't as powerful or efficient as the first reactor, but in addition to consuming Fissionable, it also slowly refines Raw Fissionable into Fissionable as part of its normal operation. The conversion rate is slower than the dedicated processing machinery, but faster than the breeder reactor's own Fissionable usage, making it quasi self-sustainable similar to using a Fuel Cell Array to power a Convert-O-Tron in LF/OX mode.
  • Xenon extraction.
    • Should be a separate resource from Ore.
    • Maybe an option to scoop it from the air, which obviously requires a celestial body with an atmosphere, making it harder to transport.
  • If LF/OX rockets are meant to be hydrolox, possibly a way to gather LF from solar wind with equipment that can be installed on space stations or deep space vessels. It's only LF, though, without OX, so you still need to bring OX from elsewhere. It also doesn't work in atmosphere.
  • Station-specific stuff, yeeeeesssss. Gimme.
    • One idea I thought of in this regard is a fuel scoop for passively generating LF over time using EC. Not restricted to stations, of course, but slow enough that a station meant to be left unattended for long periods would be the most convenient place to put it and heavy enough to make lugging it around on a ship inefficient. Optional features:
      • Make its LF production scale with distance from Kerbol (ie. it works better the stronger the solar wind is).
      • Make it stop working if Kerbol is occluded by another celestial body (going with simple occlusion since it would be too complex to simulate planetary magnetospheres).
      • And for those who want to lug the thing around rather than leaving it on a station, allow it to gather LF super-fast by dipping into Jool's atmosphere.
  • Life support yes, but make it optional and introduce a difficulty option for scaling how fast the supplies get depleted.
    • All crewed parts can recycle air by expending EC, at a rate about equivalent to a single kerbal's air consumption; this recycling function can be toggled in the part's context menu and is off by default. If you bring more than one crew member per pod, you need an extra part to break even:
      • Early-game, you have a simple, lightweight CO2 filter that can only recycle a finite amount of air before shutting down for the rest of the mission.
      • Mid-game, you get a CO2 scrubber whose filters can be replaced during the mission. Extra filters are carried in a separate part and replacement can be carried out by a kerbal on EVA. Optionally, engineer kerbals would get some extra capacity out of each filter if they're the ones doing the switch.
      • Late-game, you get full air recyclers with the same EC-to-air conversion as crewed parts, making you able to supply an arbitrarily large crew for as long as you have power.
      • Jet engine air intakes automatically refill the vessel's air supply for as long as the vessel is in Kerbin's or Laythe's atmosphere.
      • ISRU can also produce air from Ore at a slow rate. Hey, if it can already cook up oxidizer...
      • Speaking of which, oxidizer can be converted into air in case of emergency. Handy if the emergency is you not having enough fuel left to leave, but a rescue mission is on the way so you're not using the fuel you have left anyway.
    • Whether food and water would be separated or not, doesn't matter. But if they are, explicitly allow water (but not food!) to be obtained via ISRU.
  • A part that contains Spare Parts (Junk, maybe?) for repairing components that can be broken without destroying them outright, like solar panels and retractable antennas. If on-site manufacturing of these parts from Ore would be allowed, make it require its own foundry/fabricator part in addition to/instead of a Convert-O-Tron.

Unfortunately, several of these features seem to be what the KSP 2 team is working on. I'm totally up for new planets though, that sounds great! :D Maybe something akin to the hidden planet that dev wanted to add so long ago? 

Submarines sound great too, though things like buoyancy updates I think should be released as a normal update. I've always wanted a purpose for laythe subs, perhaps caves and stuff? :O

Edited by Capitalist Kerbal

On 3/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, SlinkyMcman said:

Kerbal : “Going Bigger”

One size larger of about a dozen or so select pieces. Bonus update for BG is an Automator that when a condition is met plays a set of actions.

Also, like always, thrust torque in DV, and an alarm clock.

They should also add a System Scale functionality in your settings, scale 1.0 makes Kerbin the same size as Earth, decimals = fractions of Earth size, bigger than 1 is Kerbin is larger than Earth. You can choose if gravity scales to size (smaller system sizes have less gravity) This change would be necessary cause "making history" parts are already overpowered.

Edited by catloaf

Adding clouds and more realistic atmospheres would be great, EVE and scatterer are fine but they break every update (im still on 1.8 due to my dependency on those mods) a dlc that added those mods features would be nice, more realistic plumes and better lighting would also be welcome changes. If it were a 15 dollar dlc like the previous ones, this would necessitate better features like post processing (KS3P exists but the 1.8 beta often doesn't work and it is still on 1.7) and volumetric clouds (which don't even exist in mods,) the mentioned mods do a great job and I don't think this dlc will hurt them, kopernicus support and people who don't want to spend money would still create plenty of downloads, however giving people the option to pay for a (hopefully) less buggy version that updates with the game would be great. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.