Loading Asset Definitions Infinity Loading bug?

I downloaded Ksp after not playing it for a couple of years. Installation was fine but when I loaded the game up it loaded up until "Loading asset definitions" came up and wouldn't load any further.

Im running  macOS Catalina version 10.15.3 on a brand new MacBook Pro. 

I searched up the problem and I followed a couple forum discussions from 2017, like moving the folder to the desktop and back into applications, reinstall, looking through the game files and logs to see where its running slow and swapping between 1.9.1 and 1.8.1 downloads but none of them worked.

Is there a different problem that's causing this or has anyone else encountered this before?

logs said

[LOG 16:16:52.736] Loading Asset Bundle Definitions
[LOG 16:16:52.739] AssetLoader: Loading bundle definitions
[LOG 16:16:53.317] AssetLoader: Loaded bundle '/Applications/KSP_osx/GameData/Squad/squadcore.ksp'
[EXC 16:16:53.321] UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/Applications/KSP_osx/GameData/Squad/squadcorefx.ksp" is denied.
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
    System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access) (at <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0)
    KSPAssets.Loaders.AssetLoader+<LoadDefinitionsAsync>d__33.MoveNext () (at <7a4e51e86b4e492e88484cd9488d9460>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <7d9ec060e791409ab3eb85c61e312ed6>:0)

hope log texts mean something to someone.

thanks!

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "/Applications/KSP_osx/GameData/Squad/squadcorefx.ksp" is denied.

I don't know much about MacOS, but that there is a screaming filesystem permissions problem.

My approach would be the generic *nix one, i.e. fixing permissions on the KSP root directory from a terminal. Recursive chmod & chown, that old jazz. There's probably a clicky GUI way of doing this too, but I don't know what it is. Google will undoubtedly tell you.
I also hear Catalina comes with some new permissions-related aggravation, something regarding a "security and privacy" settings page in the system preferences gizmo that allows you to grant file permissions to applications. That's probably a good place to look for a start if you're not comfortable with the terminal.

Edited by steve_v

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

I don't know much about MacOS, but that there is a screaming filesystem permissions problem.

My approach would be the generic *nix one, i.e. fixing permissions on the KSP root directory from a terminal. Recursive chmod & chown, that old jazz. There's probably a clicky GUI way of doing this too, but I don't know what it is. Google will undoubtedly tell you.
I also hear Catalina comes with some new permissions-related aggravation, something regarding a "security and privacy" settings page in the system preferences gizmo that allows you to grant file permissions to applications. That's probably a good place to look for a start if you're not comfortable with the terminal.

Thanks I was able to fix it!

I didn't really know how terminal chmod and chown works at all (I really should learn how to use it though, seems really useful)

But the permission thing clicked with me so I looked at the get info tab, and the permissions section had a systems option. I flicked the options from read and write back and forth and then applied the option to all enclosed items which made the load  continue!

Thanks for the advice! 

Edited by [email protected]

4 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I really should learn how to use it though, seems really useful

Not just useful on MacOS either, most of what you can do in a MacOS terminal will also work more or less the same in GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, and a bunch of other unix-like and/or POSIX compliant operating systems. It's good stuff to know.

8 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thanks for the advice!

Glad to be of service.

31 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Thanks I was able to fix it!

I didn't really know how terminal chmod and chown works at all (I really should learn how to use it though, seems really useful)

But the permission thing clicked with me so I looked at the get info tab, and the permissions section had a systems option. I flicked the options from read and write back and forth and then applied the option to all enclosed items which made the load  continue!

Thanks for the advice! 

I'm having the same problem but I'm not following your solution. What file or folder did you change permissions on? Can you add more details please? 

10 hours ago, jediguy said:

I'm having the same problem but I'm not following your solution. What file or folder did you change permissions on? Can you add more details please? 

So if you installed the application, there should be a ksp_os folder in the applications. Then you open “get info”. There would be a share and permissions option at the bottom where there’s “system” “owner” “everyone“

all of these should be read and write. but this only gives the system access to the folder, but it doesn’t give access to the rest of the folders inside the folder. There’s a settings button  which has the option to “apply to all enclosed folders” which applies the setting into all folders in the ksp_os for the system which got it working for me!

hope that helps

• 3 weeks later...

This solution worked for me.
This was a fresh install of OSX Catalina 10.15.4 and KSP 1.9.1 running under a 'standard' user account for my kids (not Administrator).

Symptom was KSP 1.9.1 would launch and hold up with black screen and yellow progress bar at 1/2 way through, with no loading text or gfx

Fix was: Open 'Finder'.
Right click on 'Kerbal Space Program' folder, and click 'Get Info'.
(Being a new install, I first had to go to System Preferences - Mouse - Secondary Click and Check to on.)
Click the yellow lock in lower right to allow changes and enter Administrator username and password (on this computer).
Click + and add current user account you want play KSP, set to 'Read & Write'. I also added 'everyone' with 'Read & Write'.
Click the gear icon in lower right and click 'Apply to enclosed items...'.

Hope this helps!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.