Mun Space Station

I just thought about this just for something fun to do in Sandbox Mode. I wanted to create a space station (which I've never done before, actually) and then use a propulsion system on it to send it to the Mun. Going to Minmus was a possibility, too. It's mostly done now. It includes these modules:

• Laboratory
  • Storage (Ore)
  • 2 Passenger (the second module are cabins that stick out at the sides)
  • Electricity
  • Telescope/Extra Docking Space

Iv7MG7v.png?2

The final modules to be added will be a lander and propulsion. For propulsion, a dummy craft simulating the weight will be put into orbit with a propulsion system of its own and be sent to the Mun. This will test how much fuel and what engine will be needed for the Mun Space Station's propulsion module. Once the station is finally ready to head to the Mun, two manned crafts will dock into it and head over to it.

To possibly add to the station or a future project, you can show some space station designs of your own to give me some inspiration and ideas.

Edited by Astrion
Added image with better lighting.

however note that that station is not a good one to move, it will be unstable unless special precautions are taken, e.g. using relatively weak engines so the station does not destroy itself.

i build huge colony ships by docking, but I design them to have several tons of thrust pushing them for stations not designed for handling thrust, but that you want to get somewhere, assemble them at the destination, Mun is not far away so sending the modules there separately and then assembling them is better, your station is the type of station where you need to be careful, as in, no more than 0.25 G of acceleration to be safe, it falls apart at 0.4 g of acceleration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 5:17 PM, Vanamonde said:

If you are inviting people to build a station and move it, this could be a challenge.

If that's the case, then @Astrion should upload the save file with that station in orbit and post the link to it so that someone could access that save and move your station. Keep in mind that:

• You should use all Stock parts for your station, so that anyone could use it.
    • Not everyone uses parts mods and/or DLCs, but everybody has Stock.
  • Google Drive/MEGA are great sites to store save files online and post links for someone else to use.
    • Usually, they come in the form of .zip files.
  • Make sure your game is updated to the latest version. 

On 4/11/2020 at 5:17 PM, Vanamonde said:

If you're inviting people to share their stations, there's a thread for that here. 

Yeah. If you're just showing off, then just do it in the Space Stations thread.

Spoiler
On 3/28/2020 at 8:47 PM, Astrion said:
  • Laboratory
  • Storage (Ore)
  • 2 Passenger (the second module are cabins that stick out at the sides)
  • Electricity
  • Telescope/Extra Docking Space

Iv7MG7v.png?2

HOLD MY BEER

bX8f6rB.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.