I had strings, but now I'm free.

15 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Oh dear Christ: he seems to have strip mined a mountain, melted it down into rocketry components, and filled it to the brim with explosive fuel!

oh, hold on, it's just another Sunday with Whackjob :P

Glad to see you back!

Thank you!  I will have more and better pictures and projects as time goes.

EDIT:  Like this.

df0k9te.jpg

Edited by Whackjob

I suffered a low altitude RUD, but I want you guys to know.  My little bird flew.

f8EDbVW.jpg

I just wondered how many of the largest fuel cans are in this one.  Turns out there are one hundred and thirty six.

Edited by Whackjob

Well... she's going to need boosters if I'm getting her to the Mun.  And at 4,500 m/s of delta-v, that isn't enough.  So.   She needs boosters.

2iGeqgD.jpg

Her full thrust is now just under six hundred thousand kilo-newtons.  I'm afraid to see what her mass is.

H AH AH AH HA HA HA A

Nb3Pops.jpg

gSc8yM7.jpg

THIRTY TWO.  Thousand. Eight hundred and five.   TONS

9IVg73l.png

EDIT:  My god.  I've almost doubled the mass just from the boosters.   And I'm getting *less* seconds per frame, a performance boost.  It's a christmas miracle.

Edit2: The game crashes after a few thousand feet.  This is beyond the kraken.  I don't know how to fight this.

Edited by Whackjob

4 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

this is absolute madness... um, maybe the making history 5 meter parts can help decrease the part count? or are you already using it, I can't tell.

Hide contents

what even is the current part count? I am afraid to know.

Nope, i haven't got it, but I think I am going to.  As far as part count goes, I think 4,300.

I haven't made orbit yet.  Last launch attempt, I got a few kilometers up, and the game crashed.

9 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

so... did you try to make a launcher without struts? That’s amazing.

No, there are at least two thousand struts!  They are just too small to see.  I'll get a closer picture tonight.

2 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

why did he start building it in the fi- how long did it take to build it. 

Sherlock Holmes Fainting Gif Find Share On Giphy Fainting GIF - LowGif

Hours.  Here's a fun fact.  At that many parts, there is about a 45 second delay between attaching a new part and when the game unfreeze and resumes.  Patience is mandatory.  Oh, and struts get that penalty TWICE, one for each side.

Edited by Whackjob

1 hour ago, HansonKerman said:

but... why. Just what is this mostrosity

Munar lander.

Also, I figured out what's going on with the crashes.  When something breaks and I get a RUD, the game crashes.  It just can't handle that much boom.   SO, theoretically, I can still get to space, if I figure out what's breaking and how to fix it.

Edited by Whackjob

1 hour ago, Whackjob said:

Munar lander.

Also, I figured out what's going on with the crashes.  When something breaks and I get a RUD, the game crashes.  It just can't handle that much boom.   SO, theoretically, I can still get to space, if I figure out what's breaking and how to fix it.

Wackjob you have inspired me. I am currently constructing an ssto of a similar scale, 740 or so parts and at 27 kilotons the making history tanks really have helped reduce the part count. and um, how are you gonna land that thing?

27 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

Wackjob you have inspired me. I am currently constructing an ssto of a similar scale, 740 or so parts and at 27 kilotons the making history tanks really have helped reduce the part count. and um, how are you gonna land that thing?

She's got legs.  You can see the custom truss legs in some of the pictures.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.