Jump to content

[1.7.3]Pteron Micro Shuttle and Rescue Vehicle (0.7.0.0) Landing me softly [2020 04 19]


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

I think I'm happy with it now.  Change all three deflectionLiftCoeff to 0.8.  It's flyable and landable, but it's a bit tough.

:D

Did the superglue work? (holding the vessel together better)

6 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

Docking port control from here still points forward.  Rotation needs to be set to 0, 0, 0, but it messes with the attachement nodes.  I tried using the version from 0.6.0.0 with the rotation changed, but the nodes are still out of whack.

its a model issue:

  • either I revert to the  rotation = 0,0,0 and you have to flip it 180 degrees in the editor to attach it correctly  and control from here is backwards or
  • the control from here is backwards. <--- lesser of two annoyances.

There is a control point (reverse) in the main body.

I will do some more experimentation and see if I can add a control_point to it without having to add a moduleCommand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reducing the wobble means you don't need as much super glue.

All parts are made the same way, particularly stock docking ports.  They face forward and have to be rotated for the back of ships.

The rotation isn't a huge issue, except that I use Docking Port Alignment Indicator, and it won't register control point changes the way the main body changes it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, overkill13 said:

Reducing the wobble means you don't need as much super glue.

All parts are made the same way, particularly stock docking ports.  They face forward and have to be rotated for the back of ships.

The rotation isn't a huge issue, except that I use Docking Port Alignment Indicator, and it won't register control point changes the way the main body changes it.

will revert. :D

then onto the Dreamer and the WhimChaser.... you are most certainly welcome to help with those as well. :D

Edited by zer0Kerbal
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

will revert. :D

I actually edited up a working version of the port, for myself, before going to bed last night.

I clipped some stock landing gear into it too and had some fun.  Like most small aircraft in KSP, it likes to bounce off the ground and flip out of control when the wheels are too close together and the craft is light.

I ran a mission up to a docking target.  I can see why the starboard wing had higher heat tolerance.  It tends to overheat on reentry, though I can't explain why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, overkill13 said:

I actually edited up a working version of the port, for myself, before going to bed last night.

sometimes experiments work, sometimes they don't. :(  you just reverted to the original? or anything special?

5 hours ago, overkill13 said:

I clipped some stock landing gear into it too and had some fun.  Like most small aircraft in KSP, it likes to bounce off the ground and flip out of control when the wheels are too close together and the craft is light.

if I knew how to edit the firespitter suspension - or knew how to convert to stock, and KSPWheel - then might be able to soften the suspension; because that might help.

Sounds like it was a grand ole fun time! :D

5 hours ago, overkill13 said:

I ran a mission up to a docking target.  I can see why the starboard wing had higher heat tolerance.  It tends to overheat on reentry, though I can't explain why.

interesting. Should I revert to the higher temps on the right wing or just leave it be and put a cabin sticky note? (ie note on the readme/forum post)?

after you reply - I will release one last final pre-release, and *knocking on wood* will release 1.0.0.0 - release shortly after that.

Again, thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

sometimes experiments work, sometimes they don't. :(  you just reverted to the original? or anything special?

rotation = 0, 0, 0

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.20833333, -0.015, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.01, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

referenceAttachNode = top

That set it up nicely.  Port faces up in the editor, but I'm used to it.

7 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Sounds like it was a grand ole fun time! :D

Certainly was.  Small plane somersaults are as amusing as they are frustrating.

7 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

interesting. Should I revert to the higher temps on the right wing or just leave it be and put a cabin sticky note? (ie note on the readme/forum post)?

Probably a good idea to revert the temps.  I suspect the issue is something in the model or drag cube that causes that wing to appear in front of the body and left wing.  I wound up rolling that wing slightly out of the wind during reentry to keep from overheating and then I had to turn back towards KSC as I descended.  Not the nicest solution with a brick... er... shuttle glider.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SO I dug into Firespitter ( @Lisias fork) and found some more settings that can be adjusted - I will include the default values in the next release; which I 'Hop' to get to tonight during @linuxgurugamer's livestream.

Spoiler


        
        overrideModelSpringValues = false;
        overrideSuspensionDistance = false
        forwardsStiffness = 10.0 // 3.0 // Forwards friction (Unity default is 1.0, which is not enough to get up small hills)
        //forwardsStiffness = 10.0; // float //for tire friction
        forwardsExtremumValue = 20000.0; // float
        orwardsAsymptoteSlip = 2.0; // float
        orwardsAsymptoteValue = 10000.0; // float
        sidewaysStiffness = 1.0; // float //for tire friction
        sidewaysExtremumSlip = 1.0; // float
        sidewaysExtremumValue = 20000.0; // float
        sidewaysAsymptoteSlip = 2.0; // float
        sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 10000.0; // float
        wheelColliderMass = -1; // float
        wheelColliderRadius = -1; // float
        wheelColliderSuspensionDistance = -1; // float
        suspensionSpring = -1; // float
        suspensionDamper = -1; // float
        suspensionTargetPosition = -1; // float

 

On 4/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, overkill13 said:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.20833333, -0.015, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

thanks! the -0.015 is unusually - means that the node is offcenter on the -z (fwd/back - dorsal/ventral) - am going to change that to 0.0 (and add the 8th and 9th value - 1,1)

yes, there are 9 values (possible) for a node, last two are optional. :D

On 4/12/2020 at 10:36 PM, overkill13 said:

brick... er... shuttle glider

call a spade a spade. and a brick a brick. at least (according to most) it is a 'cute' brick. :P

 

 

Edited by zer0Kerbal
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mod Version KSP version KSP-AVC License CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Validate AVC .version files


  • Thank you to @overkill13
  • corrected numerous dyslexic keystrokes - verison -> version

body

  • adjust [ModuleControlSurface] deflectionLiftCoeff to 0.8 from 1.0

wings

  • adjust [ModuleControlSurface] deflectionLiftCoeff to 0.8 from 1.0

suspension experiment (both wings and nose gear)

  • added additional /optional/ module key nodes
  • added (default value): overrideModelSpringValues = false;
  • added (default value): overrideSuspensionDistance = false
  • added (default value): forwardsStiffness = 10.0 // 3.0 // Forwards friction (Unity default is 1.0, which is not enough to get up small hills)
  • added (default value): //forwardsStiffness = 10.0; // float //for tire friction
  • added (default value): forwardsExtremumValue = 20000.0; // float
  • added (default value): orwardsAsymptoteSlip = 2.0; // float
  • added (default value): orwardsAsymptoteValue = 10000.0; // float
  • added (default value): sidewaysStiffness = 1.0; // float //for tire friction
  • added (default value): sidewaysExtremumSlip = 1.0; // float
  • added (default value): sidewaysExtremumValue = 20000.0; // float
  • added (default value): sidewaysAsymptoteSlip = 2.0; // float
  • added (default value): sidewaysAsymptoteValue = 10000.0; // float
  • added (default value): wheelColliderMass = -1; // float
  • added (default value): wheelColliderRadius = -1; // float
  • added (default value): wheelColliderSuspensionDistance = -1; // float
  • added (default value): suspensionSpring = -1; // float
  • added (default value): suspensionDamper = -1; // float
  • added (default value): suspensionTargetPosition = -1; // float

right (port) wing only:

to address unholy asymetical heating difference between port/stbd wings

  • increased maxTemp from 2000 to 2200
  • increased skinMaxTemp from 2400 to 2500 (yes that is only 100° vs 200°)

dockingport

  • reverted rotation to 0,0,0 from 180,0,0
  • lowered resourceAmount from 0.18 to 0.04
  • reverted module changes (light issue)

See Full Changelog for full details of changes
See Known Issues for known issues


red box below is a link to forum post on how to get support
How to get support

0.6.6.0


Be Kind: Lithobrake, not jakebrake! Keep your Module Manager up to date

Edited by zer0Kerbal
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2020 at 7:57 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

link to @Lisias's fork

 

I tried it.  Gear doesn't retract.  Loading my craft indicates they are missing FSwheel and FSpartTurner.  Colliders seem to work well though as it sits properly on the runway.  Wheels do not work and it drags as if the part is just grinding.

Looks like both light toggles on the docking port are operating the same set of lights.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

I tried it.

thank you.

5 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

Gear doesn't retract.  Loading my craft indicates they are missing FSwheel and FSpartTurner.  Colliders seem to work well though as it sits properly on the runway.  Wheels do not work and it drags as if the part is just grinding.

rob Peter to pay Paul situation.

5 minutes ago, overkill13 said:

Looks like both light toggles on the docking port are operating the same set of lights.

They are and they aren't. its the way the model is set up. I don't know enough blender/animation to fix it (if it can be).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spacehorse said:

Works only for 1.7.9? Ckan say it.....

It is released for 1.7.x

It MAY work on other versions. /YMMV/

I will release for 1.8.1 after a short period of feedback.

Just For Everyone to understand - this is how I operate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, overkill13 said:

Just as a note.  All my testing was performed in 1.8.1.

Was a new Firespitter fork released?  I haven't tried the softened landing gear update yet.

mine was in 1.8.1 / 1.7.3 and 1.9.1 - but nothing extensive. I will be pushing a 1.8.1 release hopefully later this week.

no new FS that I know of. I really didn't change anything - just added in more items (with their defaults).

 

 

Edited by zer0Kerbal
Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 :rep: and big thank you to @Kottabos

@Sage Sagan, @Daemoria, and @blackheart612

 

NOTES:

Youtube Review by @Kottabos Gaming

0.jpg
Support @Kottabos on Patreon

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cute little thing! 

I gave it a try. I have a few observations:

1 - This thing deserves a dedicated IVA, even if it is a simple one. 

2 - The drag characteristics deserve some analysis. I glided all the way down to 1000m, lower than that even,  and was still supersonic! A thing looking like that should be way slower when it reached the lowest altitudes, it should have bled more speed by the time it fell under 1km altitude. Imho, at least. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Cute little thing! 

agree. :D

3 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

1 - This thing deserves a dedicated IVA, even if it is a simple one. 

I agree. Know anyone who is willing to make one?

3 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

2 - The drag characteristics deserve some analysis. I glided all the way down to 1000m, lower than that even,  and was still supersonic! A thing looking like that should be way slower when it reached the lowest altitudes, it should have bled more speed by the time it fell under 1km altitude. Imho, at least. 

noted, and am listening. Maybe because it suffers from excessive cuteness, which has been known to make things sleek and aerodynamic. :D In all seriousness, good observation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...