RTB's house of unofficial updates (presently Scatterer and EVE 1.9 bugfix builds)

R-T-B

On 3/30/2020 at 6:49 AM, R-T-B said:

If you have an outdated plugin you'd like me to update, that's my bread and butter.  Post!  I can't update everything and things that interest me get priority.  Work and life also means some things may fall behind.  Some days I may not do anything, even.  Right now during the quarantine, I have a lot of time though.

A suggestion- can you update far future technologies? I'm fine if this type of plugin doesn't interest you, and the problems it has in 1.9 are minor UI bugs. Thanks!

On 4/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, R-T-B said:

Try setting just Kerbin to 17 instead of 85.  Also keep in mind if not using "Ultra" shaders the setting may not be calibrated right in the release. 

The Kerbin config in the last release was already at 17. I tried it at 60 and 85, but had no visible change. I am on ultra settings. (I think. I will confirm)

22 hours ago, BadRocket said:

Hi WallHaxx, I dont know much about the shader stuff in this thread, but I'd like to help if I can. I installed a new, completely fresh KSP 1.9.1 with only Scatterer + EVE with stock configs, and this is what the startup looks like:

gLPBWoT.jpg

Does your look different? If so, I can send you my config files (or whatever you need) for you to compare, or whatever you think will help. This is a completely blank/clean install with no mods, so maybe it will help narrow down the problem for you.

Mine does look different. This is what it finally looked like on RC4, but it reverted to iceworld after that. I'm leaning toward some kind of conflict as RTB's original config fix never worked for me either.

I'll take the configs for the sake of experimenting. But hopefully the latest release will fix it. (fingers crossed)

2 hours ago, WallHaxx said:

I'll take the configs for the sake of experimenting. But hopefully the latest release will fix it. (fingers crossed)

I put the configs up on my development server for you - PM sent

Hi RTB! I'm running linux. Since the only api available is opengl blackrack's last version for 1.8 is continuing to work in 1.9.1 on linux because we're still using the old opengl two camera etc. I decided to take a look at yours and while it's mostly working I was getting some interesting effects from the water. This is the fresh version from yesterday 2nd April:

rWCxykc.png

It's all about where the water meets the land. Interestingly my memory of them is that they weren't as well defined when I was looking at them as the game was playing; they looked all fuzzy.

16 hours ago, blackrack said:

Thanks, I will try in a few hours.

3 hours ago, stratvox said:

Hi RTB! I'm running linux. Since the only api available is opengl blackrack's last version for 1.8 is continuing to work in 1.9.1 on linux because we're still using the old opengl two camera etc. I decided to take a look at yours and while it's mostly working I was getting some interesting effects from the water. This is the fresh version from yesterday 2nd April:

rWCxykc.png

It's all about where the water meets the land. Interestingly my memory of them is that they weren't as well defined when I was looking at them as the game was playing; they looked all fuzzy.

Wow, an OpenGL tester finally shows up.  Thank you!

Yeah, unfortunately I'm at a loss as to what might be causing that only on OpenGL (it should be running just like dual camera version), but I will take a look tonight.  Any thoughts, @blackrack?

A logfile might help too if you have time.  Find it in the KSP install root, KSP.log I believe.

10 hours ago, Aniruddh said:

A suggestion- can you update far future technologies? I'm fine if this type of plugin doesn't interest you, and the problems it has in 1.9 are minor UI bugs. Thanks!

Right now I'm going to wait on taking on anything new until I drop existing projects, because these ones are pretty heavy-duty ones code wise.  But I'll put it on the list, Scatterer should be updated officially soon so maybe there'll be room.

Edited by R-T-B

New releases of both EVE and Scatterer this evening, finally including @blackrack's latest EVE-derived cloud shader code.

Some notes on these releases:

1.)  They do not fix scatterer shadows, yet.

2.) They are SUPPOSED to fix a ton of cloud based clipping issues.

but,

3.) they are largely untested (blackrack knows what he's doing, usually ;) )

If they cause any trouble, or more harm than good, reverting is never harmful.  Otherwise, let's hope they fix a lot of bugs!

Links in OP, as always.

19 hours ago, blackrack said:

Replying to say it did.

By the way, do you know the proper way of building EVE's shader code?  Man, I had to resort to building it in scatterers build tree, and injecting it into an uncompressed unity bundle with an external tool, because the build system for the shaders is so strange and undocumented.  At least it worked.

Edited by R-T-B

7 hours ago, stratvox said:

rWCxykc.png

Looks like z-fighting. @R-T-B are your builds increasing the far clip plane? If so this might happen especially on OpenGL which has less precision in the depth buffer.

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

By the way, do you know the proper way of building EVE's shader code?  Man, I had to resort to building it in scatterers build tree, and injecting it into an uncompressed unity bundle with an external tool, because the build system for the shaders is so strange and undocumented.  At least it worked.

I had an EVE project set up but I didn't touch it in years, isn't it the same way scatterer builds shaders?

1 hour ago, blackrack said:

are your builds increasing the far clip plane? If so this might happen especially on OpenGL which has less precision in the depth buffer.

Only if RSSMode is toggled, which is for real solar system support.  It's more of a hack really and I doubt that's what's causing this as that looks like Kerbin.

I had an EVE project set up but I didn't touch it in years, isn't it the same way scatterer builds shaders?

No, not at all.   I mean, yes, in concept it is, but....  The project in there is a really obsolete Unity Project that won't even import right. 

I'm setting up a Linux box to debug OpenGL.  May be gone a few days, because my distro of choice is...  Gentoo!  But hey, I will be able to properly debug Linux afterwards.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B the latest scatterer 1.40 + SVE + EVE 1.9.0.4 causes this with Jool only

https://imgur.com/a/24BbcGq

Reverting only Scatterer to older version fixes this problem

Here is the log https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5r9mcjtihcm9iz/KSP.log?dl=0

this is on Win7 KSP 1.9.1 X64

My guess maybe something changed with the shaders?

Edited by dtoxic

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Only if RSSMode is toggled, which is for real solar system support.  It's more of a hack really and I doubt that's what's causing this as that looks like Kerbin.

No, not at all.   I mean, yes, in concept it is, but....  The project in there is a really obsolete Unity Project that won't even import right. 

I'm setting up a Linux box to debug OpenGL.  May be gone a few days, because my distro of choice is...  Gentoo!  But hey, I will be able to properly debug Linux afterwards.

You can just force OpenGL on your game in windows https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Startup_parameters

36 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

@R-T-B the latest scatterer 1.40 + SVE + EVE 1.9.0.4 causes this with Jool only

https://imgur.com/a/24BbcGq

Reverting only Scatterer to older version fixes this problem

Here is the log https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5r9mcjtihcm9iz/KSP.log?dl=0

this is on Win7 KSP 1.9.1 X64

My guess maybe something changed with the shaders?

Hm.  That's very odd.  Can you try it with just an older EVE and not an older scatterer, just to isolate if it's one that's faulty and not the other?

EVE gave me a bunch of headaches while building, so i have a suspicion that's the origin of the issue.

EDIT:  Nope, just tested and the origin of the issue is blackracks new shader changes.  @blackrack, unless I did something wrong your updated spherecloud shader breaks Jool.

I will pull those builds for now.  If you downloaded them please revert.  They didn't do what we wanted, unfortunately.  They won't hurt your game but they clearly have issues.

35 minutes ago, blackrack said:

You can just force OpenGL on your game in windows https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Startup_parameters

Yep, I just remembered this.  Thank goodness, I was about to partition my SSD and that seldom ends well.  Plus Gentoo is a black hole someone can vanish into for weeks... lol

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Hm.  That's very odd.  Can you try it with just an older EVE and not an older scatterer, just to isolate if it's one that's faulty and not the other?

EVE gave me a bunch of headaches while building, so i have a suspicion that's the origin of the issue.

EDIT:  Nope, just tested and the origin of the issue is blackracks new shader changes.  @blackrack, unless I did something wrong your updated spherecloud shader breaks Jool.

I will pull those builds for now.  If you downloaded them please revert.  They didn't do what we wanted, unfortunately.  They won't hurt your game but they clearly have issues.

Yep, I just remembered this.  Thank goodness, I was about to partition my SSD and that seldom ends well.  Plus Gentoo is a black hole someone can vanish into for weeks... lol

In addition to my last fix, try adding an offset like this to the EVE sphereCloud shader: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/master/scatterer/Shaders/scattererShaders/Assets/shaders/Atmo/ScaledPlanetScattering.shader#L12

Alternatively, revert my last fix and try to lower the depth pull value for dx11

In addition to my last fix, try adding an offset like this to the EVE sphereCloud shader: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/blob/master/scatterer/Shaders/scattererShaders/Assets/shaders/Atmo/ScaledPlanetScattering.shader#L12

Alternatively, revert my last fix and try to lower the depth pull value for dx11

I will try this today (each fix in the order listed).  Next build will undergo some testing though before I push it out, I think.  Probably better for all (even on the bleeding edge, lol).

Will have it tested by about noon PST with any luck (my timezone).

Edited by R-T-B

9 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I will try this today.  Next build will undergo some testing though before I push it out, I think.  Probably better for all (even on the bleeding edge, lol).

Actually, here is a better, simpler fix: https://github.com/LGhassen/Scatterer/commit/17b286c51506b4338f8a5ff0c12ea4524770f1b6

And the associated shaders: https://mega.nz/file/rIQCgYII#4Tv8B625Eye-v2OOqLMep5EYlDkpHVDaYSN7nOlYghs

Thanks, but since I have to patch EVE as well I may as well build them myself...  I will use that fix though, rather than the hacky-sounding offset version (I really have no idea what I'm doing in shaderland anyways, so will defer to you).

Edited by R-T-B

New release hotfixes of both EVE and Scatterer up with blackracks shader code, fixing the Jool visual-oddity bug.  Please download them and test.

I should note I personally tested these in the sense that at least Kerbin and Jool appear correctly in both map view and flight, as well as the other planets in standard map view were all 100% perfect...  we need more testing than Kerbin and Jool in flight though, obviously.  It should fix things more than break them, but lets do some testing.

@stratvox I am particularly interested if this helps the OpenGL shoreline issue at all, or if we need to mess with clip planes a bit (that would be the case if you still see it).  I have a feeling it won't do much being it's cloud code, but stranger things have happened...

Edited by R-T-B

24 minutes ago, KnutG said:

Unfortunately, the dark mountains pop in at 10km altitude - still with the latest build of scatterer and eve:

PA2EI00.jpg

Yeah, that bug was not one it was designed to address.  This new shader code deals with cloud clipping, issues with the clouds vanishing entirely at certain angles.  Anyways, not saying this isn't a bug because it is, just that it wasn't fixed with this and probably won't be until offiical update by blackrack.  See, it is something to do with the transition from local scenery to scaled space.  Blackrack understands it better than I.  I expect his official release to fix it properly, until then I can't do much about that one really unless he has an idea.  It's not a bug I have a firm enough grasp of the root mechanics to really fix, I don't think.

Gotta be honest there.  As I said this is really blackracks baby at the end of the day.  I'm sure he has ideas on what to do, but I don't for this one.

Edited by R-T-B

When landing on the Mun or back on Kerbin (probably other body's too), the terrain textures are flickering very badly. After hitting F5 > F9 it's gone for a while but will come back when taking off until reaching a certain altitude (at least on the Mun). It doesn't seem to impact overall performance. Is this a known issue or do you want me to upload a log file and/or video where it shows? I'm using the current version of KSP with both R-T-B-builds of EVE and Scatterer, I only didn't get to the far last build yet from a few hours ago (so forgive me if this already has been fixed, but I didn't see it in the changelog).

Awesome work, a big thanks for the efforts!!

P.S.: Other graphical mods are RealPlume, Engine Lighting Relit and Restock+ (not sure if relevant), GTX 960m on Windows 10

Edited by 7pH
Additional info

Does 'Terrain shadows in Scatterer are currently very badly behaved/partially broken.' mean this flickering terrain when landed on a body from space or is that something else? It's gone for a while when hitting F5 > F9 but will come back when taking off, until a certain altitude is reached. If pleased I could upload a video or log file, let me know. RTB's EVE and Scatterer builds are the only environmental visual mods I have installed on 1.9.1. Other visual or 'drawing' mods (which may or may not be relevant) are RealPlume, Engine Lighting Relit, Trajectories, KER and Restock+. I'm using Windows 10 with a GTX 960m. Thanks for all of the efforts, without these mods KSP seems incomplete!!

Excuse me for the double-like post, the first one disappeared unnotified right after an edit.

Edited by 7pH

4 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

@7pH if you mean by flickering similar to this https://gfycat.com/energeticunitedasp

that's a stock bug already confirmed on the issue tracker, has nothing to do with any of the visual mods

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24995

I mean exactly that!! But really? That's baad, real baad. Hope they'll fix it soon, it's horrible!! Honestly, it wouldn't have come up to me this bug could be stock, if not for your reply… Thanks for the info!!

23 minutes ago, 7pH said:

I mean exactly that!! But really? That's baad, real baad. Hope they'll fix it soon, it's horrible!! Honestly, it wouldn't have come up to me this bug could be stock, if not for your reply… Thanks for the info!!

Also, if you have scatterer shadows on, turn them off.  They do something very similar to that and are very broken... possibly for the same reason.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.