RTB's house of unofficial updates (presently Scatterer and EVE 1.9 bugfix builds)

R-T-B

Good to see the RSS-hack I did performs as well as it does.  It's not really the best way to handle it, because it breaks scatterer-shadows in a way that can't be fixed, so it probably will never make it into an official release, but I'll be happy to maintain a "patched' version for those purposes until we have a better way. :)

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, 7pH said:

I mean exactly that!! But really? That's baad, real baad. Hope they'll fix it soon, it's horrible!! Honestly, it wouldn't have come up to me this bug could be stock, if not for your reply… Thanks for the info!!

No problem....and yeah i was banging my head till i on hunch decided to check the KSP Issues Tracker and sure enough there it was...anyway yeah really annoying bug, hope i spared you some GPU driver installs and uninstalls and what not :D

Appreciate the effort to restore the beauty of these mods...

Looks nice again.  

Did find one hiccup.  Didn't get this the first run, but saw this-- much flickering of polygons in the clouds:

https://imgur.com/XQW8Ks1

MacOS 10.13.6, so OpenGL

(why can't I post this via the Insert image from URL?)

Edited by Hangdog

My apologies but I keep posting in the original Scatterer forum and forgetting so the screenshots I posted about........ are going to go here.  A couple aren't uploading so I can't show much.  These issues may not be anything to do with scatterer, and or may not be fixable.  I'm fine with that.  Simply if it IS scatterer I figured showing you might help you track down a bug. :)

N8aqo8t.jpg

That shadow artifact drives me nuts.  It's random.  Not every launch, nor does it stay, it blinks rapidly.  So fast I can't usually screen capture it........ I got lucky on a split second of lag.  This was without terrain shadows on, without physics range extended, and without distant objects enhanced turned on. 

3 hours ago, Hangdog said:

Appreciate the effort to restore the beauty of these mods...

Looks nice again.  

Did find one hiccup.  Didn't get this the first run, but saw this-- much flickering of polygons in the clouds:

https://imgur.com/XQW8Ks1

MacOS 10.13.6, so OpenGL

(why can't I post this via the Insert image from URL?)

Click the plus on the pic, then right click, go down to copy image link, copy, paste it as an image url.  I just had the same problem.

1 hour ago, StoneWolfPC said:

My apologies but I keep posting in the original Scatterer forum and forgetting so the screenshots I posted about........ are going to go here.  A couple aren't uploading so I can't show much.  These issues may not be anything to do with scatterer, and or may not be fixable.  I'm fine with that.  Simply if it IS scatterer I figured showing you might help you track down a bug. :)

N8aqo8t.jpg

That shadow artifact drives me nuts.  It's random.  Not every launch, nor does it stay, it blinks rapidly.  So fast I can't usually screen capture it........ I got lucky on a split second of lag.  This was without terrain shadows on, without physics range extended, and without distant objects enhanced turned on. 

Click the plus on the pic, then right click, go down to copy image link, copy, paste it as an image url.  I just had the same problem.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/192753-rtbs-house-of-unofficial-updates-presently-scatterer-and-eve-19-bugfix-builds/&do=findComment&comment=3766271

Hello,

i''m very new to the game aswell and having thesame problem as georges.

I did notice that EVE is working but it requires config files.
will have to read the EVE forum first to find out what to do with that ^^

but @chefgeorges If you load your game and look and the down right corner there should be 2 icons with EVE and another one to do some settings.
if you read what it says if you click the EVE icon it says you need to put in config files to populate them lights and clouds.

Update:

https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/download/EVE-1.2.2-1/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-Configs-1.2.2.1.zip
This mod adds the required config files but theres very few clouds. need to play around with it to figure out how to put in more ...

Or maybe theres a better config file online but i have no idea how to find that stuff :(

Edited by plakman

Sorry for my absence as of late, I have the sniffles for lack of a better term, no fever yet, hoping it isn't that nasty covid 19 thing...  It's mostly mild and just a lack of energy.  Hope it stays that way. Still needless to say I'm in isolation, heh.  It is lonely up here.

This shadow artifact bug is weird.  Could people experiencing it try falling back one or two versions and seeing if it goes away?  Maybe EVE as well?  There was a shader recompile there that may be messing with things.  The goal would be to see where in that mess it happened... Or if it's unrelated to shaders and been there a while.  Thanks.

Also, since it appears stock is affected by it too, please post your GPU model in case there is a pattern.

@StoneWolfPC @dtoxic @7pH

Edited by R-T-B

Apperantly installing KRSVVE or Stockvisualenhancements breaks the game for me if i wanna run scatter and EVE.

With Krsvve no mods worked at all.
SVE only Eve worked without any clouds and scatter kept working normally but nothing SVE didn't work either lol.

@BadRocket could you share the config file for the clouds you have running there? or is there a way to get them working like that?

@R-T-B I really hope you don't man. get well soon!

5 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Sorry for my absence as of late, I have the sniffles for lack of a better term, no fever yet, hoping it isn't that nasty covid 19 thing...  It's mostly mild and just a lack of energy.  Hope it stays that way. Still needless to say I'm in isolation, heh.  It is lonely up here.

This shadow artifact bug is weird.  Could people experiencing it try falling back one or two versions and seeing if it goes away?  Maybe EVE as well?  There was a shader recompile there that may be messing with things.  The goal would be to see where in that mess it happened... Or if it's unrelated to shaders and been there a while.  Thanks.

Also, since it appears stock is affected by it too, please post your GPU model in case there is a pattern.

@StoneWolfPC @dtoxic @7pH

It did this in 1.8.1 for me as well before I used your fixes.  Hope you get feeling better!  Msi gaming x gtx 1080 8gb.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:17 PM, plakman said:

@BadRocket could you share the config file for the clouds you have running there? or is there a way to get them working like that?

No problem, Okay, I just ran a new install using R-T-B 's most recent updates, and it works out of the box on a vanilla install. Here's what I did:

1. install fresh Kerbal Space Program (not overwriting an old install, this is a clean copy using Steam's 1.9.1, can be placed anywhere, I put it on a ramdisk for testing I called Z:)
  2. copy single file "ModuleManager.dll version 4.1.3" into GameData
  3. copy RTB's "Scatterer-0.055 Unofficial Release 141" folder into GameData
  4. copy RTB's "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 1.9.0.5" folder into GameData
  5. copy "EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements stock configuration" (aka "BoulderCo") into GameData (I dont remember where I downloaded it originally, maybe here?, but I've uploaded my working copy, linked below. These are the config files that might solve the problem for some of you)

When done, the directory structure looks like this:

iQWUpe6.jpg

When I run it, everything works great. I get this view, clouds n stuff (using GTX 1070):

hpgws02.jpg

So, for all the config files to get this default install, and to remove ambiguity, I zipped up the entire BoulderCo + Scatterer + EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements folders and uploaded them at link below. I believe this is okay to upload, since it's just RTB's unofficial versions in their installed folders. I will happily delete immediately if asked or if it happens to be a terms of use conflict, but I've been asked for these config files a few times so I want to make them available.

((Link removed since newer plugin versions available))  (100 MB)

It's 100 MB size because I wanted to leave everything intact inside those folders (including textures), not just the text config files, in case that's the problem for somebody. This zip file, plus the generic stock game folders, should get anyone atmospheric effects (clouds, better shading, etc) right out of the box, which are still officially unsupported on KSP 1.9.1. as of today 2020-April-06 . Good luck, HTH

Edited by BadRocket

Hmmm.  The only thing I am noticing re the shadow bug is you are all using Pascal era NVIDIA cards.  Then again those were really popular cards...

Not sure if that means anything, but I (who can't reproduce the bug) am running an AMD Radeon 5700 XT card from the Navi lineup, which is quite a bit different (honestly, usually AMD is buggier, so this'd be a first for me, lol).  Maybe that means something, no idea.  Will look at this again soon.  Right now just trying to get over this thing.  To all concerned it has remained mild so far and is just slowing me down, nothing more.  It's mainly just a PITA.  If anything I think I am making forward progress not backwards re recovery.

2 hours ago, BadRocket said:

I will happily delete immediately if asked or if it happens to be a terms of use conflict, but I've been asked for these config files a few times so I want to make them available.

I personally see no rights issue with it...  but not a lawyer.  They look to be just the binaries with some configs and textures, no biggie.  Maybe I'll regret this statement when my head clears, but looks fine to me.

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I personally see no rights issue with it...  but not a lawyer.  They look to be just the binaries with some configs and textures, no biggie.  Maybe I'll regret this statement when my head clears, but looks fine to me.

Okay, I'll remove the files whenever you want. I've seen a few people on this thread have issues with atmospheres, and I figured a complete working installation demo would help more than just a few config files. I'll probably delete the download after a few days anyways

hope you get better soon Frog Priest

Edited by BadRocket

Nah, I was saying I have no issue with it.  If a mod does though, just listen to 'em.  Makes it easier on everyone.

Already feeling a bit better.  Hope tomorrow it's gone.  If so, it was nothing but a lil' cold and that'd be for the best.

Edited by R-T-B

@BadRocket Thanks for all the effort you put into that man.

Spoiler

8bMG4bN.jpg

ThjmGLk.jpg

First of all, i have no idea what that purple box is in front of my rocket ...
i think it's somekind of glitch.
This is how it looks for me now. just a few clouds :p
Also they look a bit like water paint ^^

I was kinda hoping to achieve thesame kind of clouds like you had in your picture on page 1.

Spoiler

7vNGfMB.jpg

I'm not sure what the diffrence is but yours look so much more sharp and more of them it seems.

Also:

Spoiler

9HgQ1Ol.jpg

Does the edge of kerbin count as a shadow artifact @R-T-B ?
i'm also using a pascal 1080.

4 minutes ago, plakman said:

Thanks for saying that. I hope it helps someone because having realistic sky effects makes everything so much more immersive.

5 minutes ago, plakman said:

Reveal hidden contents

8bMG4bN.jpg

ThjmGLk.jpg

First of all, i have no idea what that purple box is in front of my rocket ...
i think it's somekind of glitch.

Reveal hidden contents

7vNGfMB.jpg

I know very little about rendering stuff, but to me that "pink" box looks like there's some kind of transparency problem around the capsule. Someone who knows this area might be able to suggest what's causing it. I haven't seen it, and I'm running a Pascal GTX card too. You might want to try a minimum KSP install like I described in my post above (you can put it in a different directory for testing, and still keep your old install & game saves too).

19 minutes ago, plakman said:

I was kinda hoping to achieve thesame kind of clouds like you had in your picture on page 1.

I'm not sure what the diffrence is but yours look so much more sharp and more of them it seems.

Some comments: First, your Kerbin clouds look exactly the same as mine when I play the stock game, so I think you're getting the correct results here. Second, my screen shot was of a Real Solar System install, which is enormously physically larger than stock (for comparison, the RSS Earth is about the size of stock's Mun orbit, if you can believe that), so possibly the scale is making my cloud resolution look better. Final point - my RSS cloud textures are all 16K, so the files are bigger/better (?), and are contained in the "RSSVE" plugin (real solar system environment enhancements).

You can try the RSSVE clouds texture files and overwrite the EVE ones, to see if they are better, located here:  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSSVE/releases  -- you want the "GameData\RSSVE\Textures\MainTextures\EarthClouds" files. But warning: you can't use RSSVE with KSP 1.9.1 yet, so I compiled my own unofficial version, I'm just suggesting you try the texture files if you're after max resolution. There might be some stock version of it (SVE? I dunno, I pretty much only stick to RSS).

27 minutes ago, plakman said:

That is totally normal with the current versions. It appears at 10K and disappears at 160km. It's mentioned on page 2 of this thread, where blackrack described it as the scaledSpace model not matching the localSpace. No fix at the moment, but blackrack has some ideas for future workarounds.

Spoiler

9h4bGWY.jpg

oYyH7iy.jpg

Just dropping this here for a direct comparison :)
Only disadvantage is that my fps drops to 15 in the water ^^

amazing work everyone did on these mods to make this diffrence.

Also that purple box was caused by planetshine mod.
apperantly this doesn't woork at all.

59 minutes ago, plakman said:
  Reveal hidden contents

9h4bGWY.jpg

oYyH7iy.jpg

Also that purple box was caused by planetshine mod.
apperantly this doesn't woork at all.

thanks for finding the source & posting your results here

(that's why I mentioned installing just the minimum mods from my post, it seems like some of the graphical plugins don't play together well.)

1 hour ago, plakman said:

Only disadvantage is that my fps drops to 15 in the water ^^

even with a GTX 1080?  wow I wouldn't have expected that. But on the plus side, your second water screenshot looks incredible

....sooo I can't pass up a chance to post another screen shot(s)... Using the mods from this thread, I get some photorealistic views with EVE + Scatterer + RSS that absolutely blow my mind. On a giant 1440p monitor, I swear sometimes I'm gonna accidentally fall into the screen. Example:

PJx9waK.jpg

This is a high fidelity Apollo 15 reenactment, returning from Hadley Rille on a ballistic trajectory reentry for a Pacific splashdown.

vENTi3y.jpg

Apollo 15 transposition maneuver. You can tell from the earth's position and apparent altitude that this is after trans-lunar injection, and it's a J-Mission since it's got a lunar roving vehicle.

oKsFqCd.jpg

Launch Day. All real-scale in RSS, with accurate masses and performance specs.

Scenes like these are why I'm so enthusiastic about R-T-B 's uploads for Scatterer and EVE on this thread.

(Sorry not sorry for not putting these inside a hidden contents tag)

Omg, that really looks amazing!

And i'm not gonna try to change the textures of those clouds as i do not find thesame files or files with thesame looking names in the boulderco mod folder.

Guess i'll have to wait for a rssve release for 1.9.1.
Also does it give you new missions like land on the moon?
or are the planets just remoddeled/renamed to work with the standard missions?

but damn that earth looks so good...

Kinda destroys my hype for ksp2 now my game looks just as good lmao

Edited by plakman

I mean, what I use for "pretty dang epic" visuals is astronomers visual pack, at 8k textures.  Be aware it is a GPU and CPU destroyer though.  Your game will slow down a lot.  But boy is it pretty.

I can barely run it acceptably at the 8k texture version with my RX 5700 XT, which SHOULD be about 50% faster than a GTX 1080 (in truth it's a bit less because AMD drivers suck for KSP due to being largely singlethreaded in DX11), so if I were you, I'd try it but go for one of the lower res texture packs.  Should still look pretty darn awesome.

Feeling better today btw.  Not all the way better but MUCH better than yesterday.  This shouldn't be covid-19 if what I am reading is right as all I ever really got was a bloody nose and typical sinus grossness (no fever).  Still I'm doing the whole self-isolation thing because who the heck knows?  Heck maybe I'm one of the lucky few it doesn't hit hard but I sure don't want to share it!  Anyways, should give me some time to work.  I'm going to try to replicate the faulty shader bug today with the shadows.  I have a GTX 1060 somewhere I can test with...

4 hours ago, plakman said:

Yes, it does.  I think it may be a Pascal specific glitch, maybe since I compiled the shaders exclusively on AMD?  I'm going to get in touch with blackrack and get his compiled shaders and see if they behave better.  He doesn't have any for EVE, but hopefully scatterer is the only one bugging out right now.

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, BadRocket said:

That is totally normal with the current versions. It appears at 10K and disappears at 160km. It's mentioned on page 2 of this thread, where blackrack described it as the scaledSpace model not matching the localSpace. No fix at the moment, but blackrack has some ideas for future workarounds.

Oh, that bug.  Sorry, I'm waking up.  Yeah, I looked at the screenshot.  Same one.

So here's what I see:

The shaders I compiled on AMD work on AMD cards fine (tested with two), even in OpenGL mode where I normally get sun flickering issues.

The shaders I compiled on an NVIDIA card (a GTX 1060 3G in my server system) work on all NVIDIA cards and all AMD ones EXCEPT on AMD Windows in OpenGL mode, where the sun experiences texture corruption.

This leads me to believe we need to make two shader packs available, but it's not adding up.  For right now, I'm just going to distribute with the ones built on nvidia because the sun glitch on AMD is minor and only occurs in OpenGL mode on Windows (open source drivers may fix it on linux, no idea). 

I think honestly I am just compiling the shaders wrong somehow on the AMD box (the files that come out are significantly smaller), but maybe there is something more to this.  I don't really know as shader land is as I have always said, foreign to me.  For right now, I am prepping a new release with nvidia built shaders in hopes it gets things working right for the majority of users.

Edited by R-T-B

I am running 32gb of DDR4 3400 ram (overclocked), a 7700k overclocked to 5.05gHz and n EVGA 2080 Super, both water cooled, and with AVP, even my machine drops to 30 ish FPS.

Edited by TheKurgan

New release is out.

It's simply a shader recompile, no actual code changes, so it has the same version number.  Known as the "NVIDIA shadow hotfix," please try this if you have shadow issues and/or are using an nvidia card.  Heck, if you are having any shadow issues even with an AMD card, maybe it's worth a try.  (note scatterers own shadows setting does not count, it's broke right now)

But do specify in bug reports you are using the "hotfix" please, so I can differentiate.

17 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I am running 32gb of DDR4 3400 ram (overclocked), a 7700k overclocked to 5.05gHz and n EVGA 2080 Super, both water cooled, and with AVP, even my machine drops to 30 ish FPS.

Yep that's AVP.  If you cross 300 parts it starts to progressively murder you.

But very pretty.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.