RTB's house of unofficial updates (presently Scatterer and EVE 1.9 bugfix builds)

R-T-B

16 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

I am running 32gb of DDR4 3400 ram (overclocked), a 7700k overclocked to 5.05gHz and n EVGA 2080 Super, both water cooled, and with AVP, even my machine drops to 30 ish FPS.

I'm only using 16 gigs ram, and a 1080 and I get better frames than that on average............ until I hit about 250 parts plus.  I get a dip for a few seconds sometimes, that's it.  Try using heappadder?  Also I'm on a fully fresh install of win 10 so that may help some...... lol.  No overclock on anything, and a hyper12 fan cooler on my cpu.  Of course this fan is a beast.......... and my ambient temp is like 65 the past 2 or more weeks thanks to spring being here......... probably a big bonus.

Sometimes I swear the physics break down at that point.  I mean I know the game isn't supposed to let that happen, but it would explain some things.

Anyways, yeah, please test my new hotfix everyone.

4 minutes ago, StoneWolfPC said:

I'm only using 16 gigs ram, and a 1080 and I get better frames than that on average............ until I hit about 250 parts plus.  I get a dip for a few seconds sometimes, that's it.  Try using heappadder?  Also I'm on a fully fresh install of win 10 so that may help some...... lol.  No overclock on anything, and a hyper12 fan cooler on my cpu.  Of course this fan is a beast.......... and my ambient temp is like 65 the past 2 or more weeks thanks to spring being here......... probably a big bonus.

I mean part count is the big thing we aren't considering.  IF you fly in a 300 part count craft even in stock kerbal it's tough enough (I mean yes, WE can do it but I'm talking for an average potato PC).  Game is just too singlethreaded to handle big part counts let alone graphics to go with them.

Sadly my bigbad 8 core 9900k sits mostly idle while KSP suffers.  I genuinely find it hard to justify upgrading the final level of the VAB sometimes.

Totally offtopic, but it's the big thing I hope KSP2 fixes.

Edited by R-T-B

On average, I am getting 60 + fps in the flight scene, but when there is alot going on, or I use ships with a lot of parts, I am droppping to 30 at times.

I'll give heappadder a try though.

yeah, my install of win 10 is OLD as dirt...

2 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Sometimes I swear the physics break down at that point.  I mean I know the game isn't supposed to let that happen, but it would explain some things.

Anyways, yeah, please test my new hotfix everyone.

I mean part count is the big thing we aren't considering.  IF you fly in a 300 part count craft even in stock kerbal it's tough enough (I mean yes, WE can do it but I'm talking for an average potato PC).  Game is just too singlethreaded to handle big part counts let alone graphics to go with them.

Sadly my bigbad 8 core 9900k sits mostly idle while KSP suffers.

Yeah the first time I played stock in 1.7.3 and hit 300 + with no mods, and hit 12 fps, I couldn't figure out what happened.  I thought I had a major virus.  lol.  HeapPadder mod helped me gain almost 15 fps on average and on 1.9.1 it puts me over 40 fps average.  Though with all these mods, my gpu was only tapping roughly 60% before, and now it's pegged at 98% so that's a HUGE increase. lmao. 

6 minutes ago, StoneWolfPC said:

Try using heappadder? 

Also offtopic but thank you for showing me this!  At first I thought you misspelled "heatspreader" lol.

I am totally going to try this now.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, TheKurgan said:

I am also running like 150 mods VERY part heavy.

Yep, same here lol.  What can I say, I like options. :P

1 minute ago, R-T-B said:

Also offtopic but thank you for showing me this!  At first I thought you misspelled "heatspreader" lol.

I am totally going to try this now.

My apologies, I ramble when I'm first waking up and didn't realize I was!  Back to on topic I go.  So yes, I really love how your work has changed things visually.  My 5 year old will come in and start talking space when he sees the views thanks to how well it's running. :)

13 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Hmmm.  The only thing I am noticing re the shadow bug is you are all using Pascal era NVIDIA cards.  Then again those were really popular cards...

Not sure if that means anything, but I (who can't reproduce the bug) am running an AMD Radeon 5700 XT card from the Navi lineup, which is quite a bit different (honestly, usually AMD is buggier, so this'd be a first for me, lol).  Maybe that means something, no idea.  Will look at this again soon.  Right now just trying to get over this thing.  To all concerned it has remained mild so far and is just slowing me down, nothing more.  It's mainly just a PITA.  If anything I think I am making forward progress not backwards re recovery.

I personally see no rights issue with it...  but not a lawyer.  They look to be just the binaries with some configs and textures, no biggie.  Maybe I'll regret this statement when my head clears, but looks fine to me.

Hi @R-T-B :D !  Good afternoon ! Well, i am not in the conversation, but i think that i can contribute with a information ! Well i don't remember if i said to you but I am have an notebook that isn't very much powerful, the one who motivated me to start my project, it does not have scaterrer atmosphere in Kerbin but that bug of black mountains in upper atmosphere is happening too, and it doesn't even have any graphical card, it's just the CPU ( Intel Core I5 ), without any GPU, so i am sure that the problem isn't NVIDIA. ;)

14 minutes ago, Gabriel B said:

Hi @R-T-B :D !  Good afternoon ! Well, i am not in the conversation, but i think that i can contribute with a information ! Well i don't remember if i said to you but I am have an notebook that isn't very much powerful, the one who motivated me to start my project, it does not have scaterrer atmosphere in Kerbin but that bug of black mountains in upper atmosphere is happening too, and it doesn't even have any graphical card, it's just the CPU ( Intel Core I5 ), without any GPU, so i am sure that the problem isn't NVIDIA. ;)

Hmmm.

Weird.  I wonder why I don't see it?  Maybe I need to play the game more... lol.

Sounds right though, because integrated graphics would be the first to do it you'd think.  Intel is infamous for doing very little in their graphics "cards" (really just the CPU as you said).

21 minutes ago, plakman said:
  Hide contents

RrMmSsU.jpg

Just tried the new version.
saw this when landing again.
was also there in the previous version tho.

Yeah the water shader has always done that.  Sharp angles mess it up sadly.   I don't know how to fix that, been like that as long as i can remember.  The only real option to fix it is to shut off the water shader and go back to stock there, which sucks.  Unless blackrack can fix it, maybe?  I'll ask him about it.

More intertested in those who had flickering ground shadows, like on the Mun and such, etc.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Hmmm.

Weird.  I wonder why I don't see it?  Maybe I need to play the game more... lol.

Sounds right though, because integrated graphics would be the first to do it you'd think.  Intel is infamous for doing very little in their graphics "cards" (really just the CPU as you said).

Yeah the water shader has always done that.  Sharp angles mess it up sadly.   I don't know how to fix that, been like that as long as i can remember.  The only real option to fix it is to shut off the water shader and go back to stock there, which sucks.  Unless blackrack can fix it, maybe?  I'll ask him about it.

More intertested in those who had flickering ground shadows, like on the Mun and such, etc.

Look i took a print in the notebook, and as you can see, it isn't with scatterer atmosphere, the note doesn't have any GPU and same with that the bug happens, maybe it's a problem of KSP 1.9 ? 

20200407140534-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Gabriel B said:

Look i took a print in the notebook, and as you can see, it isn't with scatterer atmosphere, the note doesn't have any GPU and same with that the bug happens, maybe it's a problem of KSP 1.9 ? 

20200407140534-1.jpg

That's a different bug than the one I was talking about, but good to know it at least is stock and something Squad can handle! :)

I'm talking about the crazy bad flickering shadows some have reported on the ground at launch, even on other bodies like the Mun.  Not the weird mountain poking through the atmosphere look...  don't know how else to describe it, but that's the difference basically.

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

New release is out.

It's simply a shader recompile, no actual code changes, so it has the same version number.  Known as the "NVIDIA shadow hotfix," please try this if you have shadow issues and/or are using an nvidia card.  Heck, if you are having any shadow issues even with an AMD card, maybe it's worth a try.  (note scatterers own shadows setting does not count, it's broke right now)

But do specify in bug reports you are using the "hotfix" please, so I can differentiate.

Yep that's AVP.  If you cross 300 parts it starts to progressively murder you.

But very pretty.

Awesome. I confirm the shadows flickering is gone in the latest release. GTX 1080TI owner here :)

15 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

Awesome. I confirm the shadows flickering is gone in the latest release. GTX 1080TI owner here :)

That's what my server box was showing me.  The AMD built shaders were coming out weird or something.  They would run fine on AMD though, :lol:

Only place I could reproduce this bug was on my nvidia server, and not every time.  It was hard because it only has a GTX 1060 3G but I could get it to do with just stock scatterer and decent enough FPS to not quit in frustration, so thanks for the report.  Was pretty easy to figure out once I knew it was more than just one random user not setting the right settings.

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

That's a different bug than the one I was talking about, but good to know it at least is stock and something Squad can handle! :)

I'm talking about the crazy bad flickering shadows some have reported on the ground at launch, even on other bodies like the Mun.  Not the weird mountain poking through the atmosphere look...  don't know how else to describe it, but that's the difference basically.

Ahh ok ! Anyway now we have sure it's a 1.9 Squad problem and doesn't have to care about it anymore, i wish that you  can fix this other bug as soon as possible, luck :D :lol: ! 

Still have strange flicker. Also clouds from the ground are big pixlely.

From the ground, boxy halos on the clouds, from orbit, flashing polygons:

(latest builds, Mac, EVE and scatterer.  Looks fine from a distance, just an issue in LKO. I have tried the Nvidia build and the regular. I have a GTX 980, not a 1080...)

Spoiler

UANuMnP.pngoACyxk9.png4LFy4UT.gif

Edited by Hangdog
gif, nvidia

4 hours ago, Hangdog said:

Still have strange flicker. Also clouds from the ground are big pixlely.

From the ground, boxy halos on the clouds, from orbit, flashing polygons:

(latest builds, Mac, EVE and scatterer.  Looks fine from a distance, just an issue in LKO. I have tried the Nvidia build and the regular. I have a GTX 980, not a 1080...)

Hide contents

UANuMnP.pngoACyxk9.png4LFy4UT.gif

If you have scatterer shadows enabled, turn them off.  Otherwise, wow that is buggy and though I have no Maxwell nvidia hardware to test with, I will try and see if I can't do something about it.  No promises though, just best effort.

As a workaround, you may try one of the builds before we rebuilt the shaders.  I think 1.30 was the last one.

BTW, I am finally all the way better.  Based on symptoms I think it was seasonal flu and not Corona, but being careful.

16 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

HeapPadder is by linuxgurugamer it's a mod, but no idea if it would work on mac.  I don't see why not?

It should work in any OS really.  Linuxgurugamer tests it in Linux, pretty sure.

By the way, my results with it were incredible.  Like a 20FPS gain on average.

Edited by R-T-B

@R-T-B: I'm glad to hear about your recovery. Any sniffle in these times is a worry.

Anyway, reporting in from Linux (OpenGL thus dual-camera, nvidia 1080) using 1.41: screenshot4701.png

It seems about the same as 1.30, in which I saw a lot of this (which worsened with altitude):

screenshot4692.png

If there's any way I can help, please let me know.

Oh, I should add: JNSQ.

Edited by taniwha

Thanks for the report.  I got a true linux rig running so I'll run some OpenGL test fixes through it soon.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:36 PM, taniwha said:

Oh, I should add: JNSQ.

Thanks for this detail, good for testing to know all the different config changes.

On 4/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, R-T-B said:

If you have scatterer shadows enabled, turn them off.  Otherwise, wow that is buggy and though I have no Maxwell nvidia hardware to test with, I will try and see if I can't do something about it.  No promises though, just best effort.

As a workaround, you may try one of the builds before we rebuilt the shaders.  I think 1.30 was the last one.

BTW, I am finally all the way better.  Based on symptoms I think it was seasonal flu and not Corona, but being careful.

It should work in any OS really.  Linuxgurugamer tests it in Linux, pretty sure.

By the way, my results with it were incredible.  Like a 20FPS gain on average.

Heap Adder not increasing FPS for me.

Which scatterer shadow setting?  Here is current config:

Scatterer_config
{
    autosavePlanetSettingsOnSceneChange = False
    disableAmbientLight = True
    integrateWithEVEClouds = True
    overrideNearClipPlane = False
    nearClipPlane = 0.209999993
    useOceanShaders = True
    shadowsOnOcean = True
    oceanSkyReflections = True
    oceanRefraction = True
    oceanCaustics = True
    oceanPixelLights = False
    fullLensFlareReplacement = True
    sunlightExtinction = True
    underwaterLightDimming = True
    showMenuOnStart = True
    useEclipses = True
    useRingShadows = True
    terrainShadows = False
    shadowNormalBias = 0.72
    shadowBias = 0.5
    shadowsDistance = 100000
    m_fourierGridSize = 128
    RSSMode = False
}

1 hour ago, Hangdog said:

terrainShadows = False

This is what I was referring too.  Already off though.  Hmm.  Something with Maxwell and the shaders I guess, shaders are not my best area of expertise but I'll see if blackrack has any ideas.  In the meantime, try extacting just the "shaders" folder from a release before 1.30 and merging it with a modern release, maybe it'll work better for you.

Edited by R-T-B

It's so good to have scatterrer back scattering! :) KSP simply feels wrong without it. But on my install, lenseflares are still occluded by geometry. Interestingly, in map view lensflares are rendered correctly. I tried unofficial Releases V1.41 nvidia shadow hotfix, and V1.3, both with dx9 and dx11. My machine is pretty old and limited though, having 8G RAM and a GTX660 with 2Gig. Despite of this, the occlusion issue didn't occur with KSP 1.8.

Anyone out there, running KSP 1.9.1 with scatterer on an ancient GTX660 without this bug?

KSP.log on paste2.org

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.