Tracking target out of Map view?

Hi! 

I'm having problems with the Docking training mission because when I leave the map view I cannot get that little square marking the target ship with the distance remaining. The stranded ship is set as target and I right clicked on it so its informations are always displayed in map view. I tried hitting F4 but it does nothing either in map view or not. All the other F keys worked so they are not lock out somehow and I tried putting a secondary key to "Show/hide Vessel Labels" that also did not work. I did managed to complete the mission by staying in map view until about 100m separation and then just eyeballing the distance, but that might not always work... Maybe it's just me, but for a game about realistic orbital maneuvers, I feel like eyeballing distance (especially for a beginner) should be avoided! 

I hope someone can help me with this! Thanks!

Hello @RockBenn and welcome to the KSP forums.

Usually this problem is caused by the F4 toggle, but you said you already tested that and it doesn't help. It might be a bug in the training mission alone.

Can you see if the target square shows up during regular game-play? Probably the easiest place to check is to see if the reticle shows up for separated boosters that drop away from you after launch. Be sure to press the F4 toggle if they still don't show in a regular game, just in case.

Sometimes though the camera view while in orbit makes it difficult to scan the whole sky around you because of the narrow field of view. You may simply not be looking in the right direction. I find it helps to zoom out the camera so that you can see more of the sky as you look around.

Edited by HvP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.