HL-20 parts mod

mcdouble

Been working on this for a while and it is sort of in a working state, but needs a lot of tweaking of aerodynamic settings etc. If anyone knows how to get things to fly well and would like to test it out that would be great.

download: https://github.com/mcd0uble/HL20

uazN5O1.jpg

Main problems atm:

1. Couldn't find a way to get the rudders on the wings to attach at the correct angle, because they're in such a weird position with the edge basically rotated through all 3 axes so the game doesn't want to snap to it. At the moment you just have to attach them and then gizmo rotate them around the green axis into the right position.

2. The elevators on the top and bottom have to use ModuleAeroSurface rather than ModuleControlSurface so that they only actuate in one direction, but they don't seem to function completely. They will deploy for yaw left and right and for airbraking, but not for pitching up and down (which is their main function..). No idea if that can be fixed.

3. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make mirror symmetry work for the rear landing gear, so at the moment you have to just place one, and then another on the other side rotated 180 degrees.

There's a craft file included to show how it should be put together. 

(totally not a Dream Chaser mod btw)

Oh yeah there will definitely be an adapter and other things like that when I've finished. I was just hoping to get some help making the thing fly decently in the meantime, as I don't know much about how aero works in the game.

13 minutes ago, mcdouble said:

Oh yeah there will definitely be an adapter and other things like that when I've finished. I was just hoping to get some help making the thing fly decently in the meantime, as I don't know much about how aero works in the game.

For me personally the thing glides nicely, Comes down safely most of the time unless I pitch up too late, The aerodynamics are fine for me.

Spoiler

Bonus: How I launched it, Some fins and uh..about 10 reaction wheels inside that fairing!
screenshot1569.png

• 2 months later...

I'm not even sure how I stumbled onto this mod, but I'm sure glad I did.  The model and texturing are beautiful, and it's easy to fly. It's one of the most stable space planes, especially during reentry and landing that I've used.  Please keep it up.

Thanks for creating this excellent little mod.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, mcdouble said:

Main problems atm:

1. Couldn't find a way to get the rudders on the wings to attach at the correct angle, because they're in such a weird position with the edge basically rotated through all 3 axes so the game doesn't want to snap to it. At the moment you just have to attach them and then gizmo rotate them around the green axis into the right position.

2. The elevators on the top and bottom have to use ModuleAeroSurface rather than ModuleControlSurface so that they only actuate in one direction, but they don't seem to function completely. They will deploy for yaw left and right and for airbraking, but not for pitching up and down (which is their main function..). No idea if that can be fixed.

3. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make mirror symmetry work for the rear landing gear, so at the moment you have to just place one, and then another on the other side rotated 180 degrees.

Hey mcdouble.

1. You may want to consider making stack nodes for these wings. These nodes will need to be oriented forward or backward like with any inline hull piece then with the necessary slanting so that the wings snap on perfectly-- not to be oriented pointing inward from the wing/outward from the hull as that will still leave an issue of rotation in one axis which leaves a window open for phantom roll to plague people's builds of your craft.
  2. Go back to using ModuleControlSurface and ignore when the elevons clip into the hull when they're moving to provide pitch and roll. This is the module for elevons, after all. Airbrakes, by nature, will work well for yaw control (see split elevons serving as airbrakes in flying wings) but not for pitch or roll. ModuleAeroSurface was therefore not written to accommodate this use case. Us part makers just have to deal with it, sadly.
  3. Yeah that'll give you a few gray hairs. I haven't the energy to do anything about that, though. I'm very sorry. But I can tell you that stack nodes may be something to avoid while figuring out the wheels.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

This is fantastic! Much better than the alternative, something that hasn't been updated in a while (or kitbashing). This looks really nice, really stockalike.

A few suggestions if you don't mind:

•An adapter as has been said

•removing NASA from part descriptions (what is NASA?)

•a cargo variant with KIS storage and a switchable b9 tank like @Nertea does for SSPEXr

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

• 6 months later...
On 4/3/2020 at 8:09 AM, DriftedCougar said:

Neat little spaceplane, Flies great, The only thing I dont like is the fact that theres no adapter in the mod and the fact that its really hard to get on a rocket without flips.
screenshot1580.png

Have you thought of placing a faring around the space plane or putting fins at the bottom?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Epcotnerd said:

This is absolutely amazing! Will the HL-42 ever be coming to this mod?

the mod author seems to be online, but there hasn't been much stuff here from him

hopefully he will continue making more cool stuff

• 2 months later...

I just found this and it's already one of my favorite part mods. I've played around with it for a bit, built an adapter to fit the Hephaistos Vulcan and launched it. The launch didn't go to well, but I had no problem gliding it back to the runway. 

My suggestions for the future:

• as said before, an adapter (not sure what diameter it should have tho)

• make EVA possible

• maybe even add an IVA view

I posted some screenshots in my twitter account:

https://twitter.com/_novaspace/status/1412445312464080899?s=19

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, nothingSpecial said:

Finally tried this beauty yesterday. The model is astonishing. I would say this is one of the best spaceplanes done in the highly detailed but more or less fitting in the stock style, maybe even the best. Kinda sad that this never got finished.

I have been considering asking @mcdoubleif I may adopt this; issue is what is the license?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.