Project Rockband: Oh Lawd E Comin

Vagrant203

So a funny thing happened on the way to a solar relay net. I'm deploying my first proper relay network because I haven't quite figured out long term life support logistics.

KAC is indispensable for this. I've been using it to note times and swap relays as the maneuver nodes arrive. I go for another swap and suddenly I'm staring at a rock. Which, y'know, space rocks are a lot cooler than regular rocks, and this is the first time I've positively identified an asteroid, so cool, right?

I head to the tracking station to read up on it. Turns out there are three key facts that put me in a bit of a panic.

1. The object is a class E.

2. It will pass through Kerbin's SoI, with a periapsis of about 15 thousand km.

3. I grabbed contracts for it before realizing: I have no idea WHAT I'M DOING! My very first rock and it's the largest class.

I've created a first draft of a vehicle that may be able to capture it, siphon ore, and process it. I'll be crewing it with the rockstars of Kerbal astronautry (or whatever the word is,) the First Four, Jeb, Val, Bill and Bob.

I'll need to make provisions for agroponics. Fortunately ISRU technology can synthesize fertilizer. The real trick will be to make sure the farms grow fast enough to replace the supplies consumed, with at least a small surplus.

And then I'll have to catch the darn thing.

I'll pause for some suggestions and update this thread when the mission itself is executed.

This could have gone under the Pathfinder Files, but the act of rendezvous and capture were well outside the scope of that project, especially considering the LSV's would be tuned for efficiency instead of hard thrust. I will be adding entries to Pathfinder Files if I capture the bugger, because I'll definitely turn that rock into an LSV if I catch it.

Big if.

halp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.