Whats the most efficient ascent profile to get into lko?

Realistic launches and stock ksp don't really mix. the scale of the planet and atmosphere is all wrong. not to mention the heating issues.

That being said best approach is somewhat like real rockets. pitch over slightly early in the launch, turn off sas and let gravity turn the rocket for you.

You can also use launch clamps to hold your rocket at an angle on the lauchpad (5-10degrees depending on TWR) and spacebar to orbit.

2 hours ago, Rhomphaia said:

Realistic launches and stock ksp don't really mix. the scale of the planet and atmosphere is all wrong. not to mention the heating issues.

That being said best approach is somewhat like real rockets. pitch over slightly early in the launch, turn off sas and let gravity turn the rocket for you.

You can also use launch clamps to hold your rocket at an angle on the lauchpad (5-10degrees depending on TWR) and spacebar to orbit.

I tried doing that with the kerbal x but I end up turning horizontal at 10 km. Is it just the rocket design? Is it more efficicient to just do the standard 100 m/s 45degrees at 10km thing than this?

3 hours ago, Krishnan Kerman said:

Is it more efficicient to just do the standard 100 m/s 45degrees at 10km thing than this?

That has not been a standard launch since v0.90

Unless you mean start turning at 100m/s and gradually turn so you're at 45 at about 10km? Then that's pretty good, but can be tweaked.

First off, I much prefer starting at 50m/s. 100 is too high IMO.

I prefer to use my apoapsis height and time to apoapsis as a better guide. Try to get to 50 seconds quickly and then to not ever be too far from 50 seconds. Also try to gradually turn so you're at maybe 60-70 degrees tilt when your apoapsis is at 10km, 40 when it's at 20km, and 10 by the time it's at 50-60km.

If I can do both of those without throttling down or steering at all after clicking "hold prograde" I consider that a perfect launch (and launcher).

I almost never have a perfect launch or launcher in stock, though. So don't break your back trying.

Edited by 5thHorseman
Fixed a few Swypeos.

43 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That has not been a standard launch since v0.90

Unless you mean start turning at 100m/s and gradually turn so you're at 45 at abbot 10km? Then that's pretty good, but can be tweaked.

First off, I much prefer starting at 50m/s. 100 is too high IMO.

I prefer to use my apoapsis height and time to apoapsis as a better guide. Try to get to 50 seconds quickly and then to not ever be too far from 50 seconds. Also try to gradually turn so you're at maybe 60-70 degrees tilt when you're apoapsis is at 10km, 40 when it's at 20km, and 10 by the time it's at 50-60km.

If I can do both of that without throttling down or steering at all after clicking "hold prograde" I consider that a perfect launch (and launcher).

I almost never have a perfect launch or launcher in stock, though. So don't break your back trying.

Do I have to change this ascent profile for bigger/smaller rockets, or is it the same?

59 minutes ago, Krishnan Kerman said:

Do I have to change this ascent profile for bigger/smaller rockets, or is it the same?

I never change the profile. if your rocket is similarly streamlined and has similar TWR throughout the launch, then your launches will generally be the same no matter the mass of the rocket. More TWR may require a harder turn, but it will also cause your Ap to rise faster so if you're turning to meet Ap goals, you turn harder by design.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.