Modding Guide

kspnerd122

How to make and install mods

Installing a Mod

1. download the mod in question and unzip if nessecary,

2. place the gamedata folder contents into the gamedata folder of ksp

3. Close KSP reopen it and enjoy your new mods.

I am not responsible for any errors you make, Happy Modding everyone

Creating a Planet Mod

1. think of what you want to add in our case this will be a moon and submoon around kerbin

2. find a similar body in ksp E.G. mun for the main moon and gilly for the submoon

3. copy their folders and rename them to what you want them to be

4. alter their sizes, remember that moons must be less than 1/2 the size and mass of their parent

5. alter the orbits of your copies to be unique, alter SOI data accordingly

6. alter colors and heightmap to your desire

7. Install Kopernicus, ModuleManager(Bundled with Kopernicus)

8. Test your mod

IMPORTANT: BACK UP KSP BEFORE DOING THIS

Creating a Part Mod

1. find suitable part

2. Copy it

3 rename it

4. alter stats however you like

5. ensure everything makes sense

6. Test the Mod

BACK UP KSP FIRST

If you found this helpful you are welcome

best first mod to make would be to make a small moon of kerbin in between mun and minmus, maybe try to give it an atmosphere by using duna or laythe copies then reduce the size and gravity of the new moon

Edited by kspnerd122

Uhm...is this an aprils fool? I'm sorry if it is not but your guide is not very detailed and partially wrong. I've kinda expected to find some explanation on the "how" and not just a list of "what".

You cannot copy any folders of stock planets/moons, they don't have any and you can also not access their heightmaps so if you want to add/modify something, you have to write a config file for kopernicus and create your own hightmap from scratch (or at least based on the kittopia dumps of the stock planets but you don't even mention kittopia at all).
Also, to create a modified copy of an existing part, the prefered method should be a ModuleManager patch so KSP can reuse the same model and textures of the original part instead of loading it twice into the RAM.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake