give minmus some love

malcheus

Personally, I'm sending more Minmus missions than munar missions. Especially because the EVA with such a low gravity is very fun. I've even done some "spacejumps" from an orbiting craft down to my minmus base. Actually, I plan to set up a challenge about spacejumps soon.

And the frozen lake are great to hover a few meters above the ground, going straight forward at really high speeds ;) This is why the new little moon of 0.17 will probably be one of my first interplanetary destinations.

Edited by Xeo

Its funny how some people say minmus is too difficult due to the inclined orbit, and others say its too easy due to low gravity.

Anyways, I think I will start on a minmus base too, and the idea of spacejumps is amazing! haven't thought of that yet!

Anyone used the method of sending two one-manned base modules first, and then sending a 3 manned return craft after it, but letting 2/3 pilots EVA out of it before launch, so you leave no kerb stranded?

Mimmus has been very buggy for me. When I go back to an ongoing flight there is a tendency for the rover or lander to jump a little.

With Mimmus's low gravity it can often cause the vehicle to flip over, as a result, I have kept my missions there to a minimum.

Mun is very much like our own Moon and many of us have grown up with stories of a Moon base, so I think that is the biggest appeal to many.

unfortunately the physics engine in ksp can only simulate one gravity well at a time.. that means no lagrange points, but on the plus side it also means you wont get pulled out of munar orbit by kerbin :P

I don't see why lagrange points can't be added as points of gravity without a physical body, Kerbol is setup like this but static. Just place them on rails and give them slightly different orbital characteristics so they track where they would normally be if an n-body system were in effect.

Minmus and the Mun are not that different, it doesnt require all that much more fuel to get to Minmus as it does to the Mun if you know what your doing because it requires far less to land on Minmus then on the Mun. People just hate changing the angle of their orbit and are too lazy to go there even though it is far better to make a base on Minmus compared to the Mun.

Personally, I'm sending more Minmus missions than munar missions. Especially because the EVA with such a low gravity is very fun. I've even done some "spacejumps" from an orbiting craft down to my minmus base. Actually, I plan to set up a challenge about spacejumps soon.

And the frozen lake are great to hover a few meters above the ground, going straight forward at really high speeds ;) This is why the new little moon of 0.17 will probably be one of my first interstellar destinations.

Precisley :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.