[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

16 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

I've noticed there are textures for several celestial bodies that aren't into my game. Mimas, Miranda, Rhea, Tethys, Ariel, Iapetus, Oberon and Umbriel.

I've also checked the Cache folder, those don't have any .bin file so they juste aren't in the mod yet I guess?

True that having only 2 moons to Saturn and only 4 to Jupiter is quite underwhelming. ANd since the mod number is 0.5, that surely means some other bodies will be added.

Also, is a compatibility with Final Frontier planned? I compltely forgot about those and so the planet ribbons don't appear since they were for stock planets (and the JNSQ ones because I copied that 1.8.1 install directly from the JNSQ one in order not to have to downgrade my current 1.9.1 install to recopy a 1.8.1 one)

We decided to not implement all bodies for now, but on next release, we'll implement the remaining saturnians moons. We prefer to implement bodies step by step because we are revamping reliefs, adding or editing heightmaps & colormaps, etc. It is a long work. We've also adding/editing some heightmaps on other bodies already implemented, like Mercury or Enceladus. But next release is for april 20th ! 

We'll try to implement FF compatibility, maybe on next release, maybe later, depend how long time it takes.

20 hours ago, winproof said:

island airfield is not implemented, right?

otherwise i did not find it :)

Not implemented, and probably never : we prefer to make alternate launchsites with Kerbal Konstruct. There is, for now, alternatives pads in Florida and a launchsite in New-Zealand. Next step is implementing Kourou and Baikounour. It is also a long work to make Kerbal Konstructs mods (like Aurore Space Center, etc) compatible with KSRSS. 

16 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I have a couple graphical glitches I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about.

First is the palm trees around KSC ... they maintain a lot of detail very high up, and stand out quite a bit. It's like they are not scaling correctly?

Hide contents

nxFXpbs.jpg

Hide contents

EyKvT1f.png

Any ideas?

Palmers trees seems to have some bugs that we're trying to fix : palmers in waters, bad repartition, and too big distance view without fog, there are too tall... Maybe fixed in next release, maybe later. But, one thing is sure : there will be a big scatter update in future. For now, please consider them as a simple test about creation of custom scatters !

On 4/9/2020 at 2:44 AM, Karin said:

Hello!

I just downloaded the mod for the first time (clean install). I loved it!

One of the big reasons I don't use RSS is because RSS by itself it's pretty stressful to my laptop (which is 9 years old). But KSRSS went pretty smooth overall and I'm definitely going to use it in a career mode. My only issue is the textures, my laptop had a really hard time dealing with it (it's BEAUTIFUL, though). I would love it if you're able to bring back the 4k textures. Thank you!

4K textures will be avaible on next release ! 

I hope I've answered all the questions !

6 hours ago, Kierra said:

For now, please consider them as a simple test about creation of custom scatters !

Everything in life is a work in progress, so no worries :)

One question though: last night I was able to fall through the moon's surface twice while trying to land (at very slow speeds) - the ground just wasn't solid, so my craft was destroyed just below the ground. That happened twice, but I also worked fine once. Is it possible different locations behave differently? Not sure why it worked once (in one location) and then failed twice (both times in the about same location, but a different location than the successful landing). Have any ideas?

The successful landing:

Spoiler

AtgcgOO.png

2nd update: indeed, now all lunar landings explode on contact with the (lack of) ground. I have so far only tried the Coatl Surveyor probe, pictured above. Apparently I got lucky with the first attempt!

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
added photo, added more info

hum, i've find a strange thing.

on mars, according to scansat map , there is a "arean canyons" biome. (also appears in mars.cfg)

but i cannot find it?

it's appear on scansat big map, but not on small map...:P

only check from space for the moment

13 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Everything in life is a work in progress, so no worries :)

One question though: last night I was able to fall through the moon's surface twice while trying to land (at very slow speeds) - the ground just wasn't solid, so my craft was destroyed just below the ground. That happened twice, but I also worked fine once. Is it possible different locations behave differently? Not sure why it worked once (in one location) and then failed twice (both times in the about same location, but a different location than the successful landing). Have any ideas?

The successful landing:

Reveal hidden contents

AtgcgOO.png

2nd update: indeed, now all lunar landings explode on contact with the (lack of) ground. I have so far only tried the Coatl Surveyor probe, pictured above. Apparently I got lucky with the first attempt!

Seems strange. Did you was in a place where the altitude level was under 0 ? I had already had this bug on Mars. It is happening with stock parts ? Overall, if it is a heightmap or PQS problem, this is probably fix : i revamped PQS & heightmap for 0.6.

4 hours ago, Arco123 said:

Hey guys. I'm making a video for this mod for the visuals. I just want to let you guys know and maybe you guys can use it as trailer. 

Yep ! Really interrested ! Switch in DM if you want !

1 hour ago, merlin2345 said:

This is exactly what I was looking for! How do the system requirements compare to RSS or JNSQ? Btw, the discord invite link has expired.

Seems that KSRSS needs less systems requirements than RSS. No idea about the difference with JNSQ. There is here a link to us discord, but we're all french on this. But internationals players are welcome ! https://discordapp.com/invite/27Q8Qpz

7 hours ago, josselin2196 said:

Are you interested to make the french Kourou launch site using Aurora Space center Asset?

And yep, it is on the roadmap :)

Edited by Kierra

37 minutes ago, Kierra said:

Did you was in a place where the altitude level was under 0 ?

I recorded it for you, in case you'd like to see it happen. To paraphrase a countryman of yours ... sorry the video is long, but I didn't have time to make it shorter. :)

edit: btw you can see a seam in the terrain here

Just now, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I recorded it for you, in case you'd like to see it happen. To paraphrase a countryman of yours ... sorry the video is long, but I didn't have time to make it shorter. :)

Did you use alt-12 to reach moon orbit ? If yes, probably the cause of the bug. But... Seems very strange, i'm gonna investigate, i'll come back soon if I found the origin of this odd bug.

3 minutes ago, Kierra said:

Did you use alt-12 to reach moon orbit ?

No, I flew an Atlas-Centaur from Earth to a direct landing on the Moon. In the initial flight, I saved right before starting the landing burns. Then it crashed into the un-surface. Then I reloaded from the save and flew the landing again, and the same happened. This was yesterday. Then tonight I reloaded the save again, flew the landing again while recording, got the same results yet again.

At the risk of repeating myself, I flew an Atlas-Centaur to the Moon and (almost) landed the Surveyor probe, all in KSP!! That's pretty awesome, even if there are glitches along the way :) 

1 minute ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

No, I flew an Atlas-Centaur from Earth to a direct landing on the Moon. In the initial flight, I saved right before starting the landing burns. Then it crashed into the un-surface. Then I reloaded from the save and flew the landing again, and the same happened. This was yesterday. Then tonight I reloaded the save again, flew the landing again while recording, got the same results yet again.

At the risk of repeating myself, I flew an Atlas-Centaur to the Moon and (almost) landed the Surveyor probe, all in KSP!! That's pretty awesome, even if there are glitches along the way :) 

Okay, thanks for reporting ! I'm gonna try with BDB & CoatL if there is a bug with parts or something else. Sorry for the bug :/

4 minutes ago, Kierra said:

I'm gonna try with BDB & CoatL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LL-wg7N45LuPMnuNjTsEB73Vg5T38aaG/view?usp=sharing

This might save you some time. I don't think I have any weird mods installed, so hopefully it'll work for you.

edit: that's built with the BDB and MLP dev branches

*sigh* sorry, but I have another moon landing failure again, even after a success earlier. Maybe it depends on where you land? This time I fell through the ground at Mare Nubium (23 19 18S, 18 52 18W). I'll just wait until the update you mentioned and try it again after that. Until then, orbit only for me :P 

1 hour ago, mabdi36 said:

Hello @Kierra!

Does this mod support Principa and axial tilts to get rid of the massive inclination of the objects? If not, is it possible to add functionality?

Thanks!

Not implemented yet. Maybe on a future release, when all the bodies are implemented ! Probably around there 1.0 release.

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

*sigh* sorry, but I have another moon landing failure again, even after a success earlier. Maybe it depends on where you land? This time I fell through the ground at Mare Nubium (23 19 18S, 18 52 18W). I'll just wait until the update you mentioned and try it again after that. Until then, orbit only for me :P 

I tried to reproduce the bug, but everything is fine for me. Still investigating on this strange bug. Hope that next release will fix it for you.

Breaking news : there is now a channel on our discord for international supports : https://discord.gg/BmMd8nV

8 hours ago, Kierra said:

I tried to reproduce the bug, but everything is fine for me

Alright, thank you for trying. I'll let you know how it goes after a new version is released!

update: I just used KRASH to put the LEM from BDB into lunar orbit and was able to land it just fine. This was in sandbox, the other failures/successes were all Science mode. This wasn't a great test since I changed the craft, the method of getting there, and the location ... but it definitely works some times and not others, on my machine. Anyway, just more random infobits in case anything helps.

14 hours ago, droper355 said:

Is it normal that my palms are a little big? 

Some are generally in the water...

Answered a few message before :

"
Palmers trees seems to have some bugs that we're trying to fix : palmers in waters, bad repartition, and too big distance view without fog, there are too tall... Maybe fixed in next release, maybe later. But, one thing is sure : there will be a big scatter update in future. For now, please consider them as a simple test about creation of custom scatters !"