[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

567 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

8 hours ago, alberro+ said:

I'll see what I can do, maybe with Rescale? 

Just install Sigma Dimensions, there is already a config for it in KSRSS.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:35 AM, Ciko said:

Is there a wayto get 2k textures? I play with RSS 60 FPS with no lag but KSRSS kill my FPS with 4k. I play on  notebook 

No there isn't and probably won't be. The next update should improve performance.

On 6/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, BadModder54 said:

Would this planet pack be compatible with MKS and KSPIE resources on the different bodies?

We have CRP configs so yes it should be compatible.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:02 AM, toastyjacks said:

Why is Saturn's Atmosphere height set so much higher than Jupiter's when Jupiter is known to have the largest planetary atmosphere in the solar system?

Because that's the way it is.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

What about deltaV requirements to reach orbit from ASL ?

I find that budgeting 5000 m/s gives plenty of wiggle room on the 2.5x scale, while on the stock size you would want about 3900 to be comfortable.

4 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

What about deltaV requirements to reach orbit from ASL ?

Transfer Window planner gives you roughtly the delta V from Earth to other planets.

As for taking off to LEO, well the stock scale Earth is roughtly the same as stock Kerbin and 2.5x scale is roughtly the same as JNSQ Kerbin.

To get to the Moon, given you take off at the right moment when KSC passes on the Moon orbital plane, the delta V required to et their is between Mun ad Minmus and once there, the delta V required to orbit the Moon and get to the surface is roughtly the same as the Mun.

I am not talking just for the Earth but for every celestial body you designed. This information can be found in the DeltaV map for the Real Solar System or for the KSP solar system, this is why I am asking. Meanwhile I have found a basic formula which should be fine if no friction happens while reaching space.

13 hours ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

Well if I understood correctly, ksrss has to change a dependency from kopernicus-1.8.1-1 to kopernicus continued to be compatible with 1.9.1 (and maybe beyond). 

how long would that normally take?

as i understand KC only just adjusted kopernicus.

58 minutes ago, JakGamingKSP said:

how long would that normally take?

as i understand KC only just adjusted kopernicus.

It all depends if we have the time to work on it. It can take 6 months if we don't have any time.

I already asked a few days ago, there is none to my knowledge, this is why I am working on 2 tools :

• An online interplanetary tool
  • A KSRSS deltaV map

And I was coming back to this topic to ask how the ksrss solar system is built because I don't know much about Kopernicus.

If I take this example for Pluto.cfg

Properties
        {
            displayName = #LOC_KSRSS_Pluto_name
            description = #LOC_KSRSS_Pluto_desc
            radius = 111791.23 // 1143000
            //mass = 1.305E+21
            geeASL = 0.063
            solarRotationPeriod = False
            rotationPeriod = 137964.168
            tidallyLocked = false
            initialRotation = 0
            isHomeWorld = false
            timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 1000 5000 5000 10000 50000 100000 500000

if // is a comment, how does the game know the mass and the gravitational parameter of the celestial bodies ?

I am looking for some key values which are needed to orbital mechanics. How can I get them from the config files ? Do I have to install kOS and extract the values I need from a kOS program ?

13 minutes ago, OnlyLightMatters said:

I already asked a few days ago, there is none to my knowledge, this is why I am working on 2 tools :

• An online interplanetary tool
  • A KSRSS deltaV map

And I was coming back to this topic to ask how the ksrss solar system is built because I don't know much about Kopernicus.

If I take this example for Pluto.cfg

Properties
        {
            displayName = #LOC_KSRSS_Pluto_name
            description = #LOC_KSRSS_Pluto_desc
            radius = 111791.23 // 1143000
            //mass = 1.305E+21
            geeASL = 0.063
            solarRotationPeriod = False
            rotationPeriod = 137964.168
            tidallyLocked = false
            initialRotation = 0
            isHomeWorld = false
            timewarpAltitudeLimits = 0 1000 5000 5000 10000 50000 100000 500000

if // is a comment, how does the game know the mass and the gravitational parameter of the celestial bodies ?

I am looking for some key values which are needed to orbital mechanics. How can I get them from the config files ? Do I have to install kOS and extract the values I need from a kOS program ?

The game knows the mass and the gravitationnal parameter by calculating them. You can use this formula, where g is the surface gravity IN M/S (not in g like geeASL), G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass and r is the radius. Note that GM together is also known as the gravitational parameter (or mu). 853ff89e03328fcf0eef4b0a64e9d78a84172c72

Hello topic. I have forked the TWP tool made by @AlexMoon and changed its code with KSRSS celestial bodies. I have deltas with the Transfer Window Planner mod and the differences are under reviewing. DeltaVs seem to be ok, the problem is about departure times.

My code is published here : https://github.com/OnlyLightMatters/twpksrss

I have also compiled the orbital & celestial parameters in a Google Sheet : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pbrSSMky9t5dOuaRxZhnPzEt9RuSx_lxjMP5MKPlPWY/edit?usp=sharing Be careful the decimal separator is a coma, not a dot.

The Unfinished and Inacurate TWP for KSRSS is available here https://onlylightmatters.github.io/twpksrss/ You are welcome to take a look and make a feedback.

I am coming back from my holiday trip today, I will have more time to spend on the DeltaV map with Inkscape in the next few weeks.

@tony48, really love the mod. I have just one question; Will KSRSS(VE) play nice with Principia's n-body mechanics?

Theoretically, if all the planetary masses and distances between the bodies have the same ratio as in RSS, it should play nice,right? Maybe if you could give me the orbital distances and masses of every body in the system... I might be be able to calculate if they have the correct resonances or not.

I don't know about these details so I decided to ask. I also don't know if Principia has config files for this system but that is a question for the Principia thread.

Anyaways, thanks for the mod.

On a side note, has anybody here tried the mod with Principia. If so, please do share the details. 

Edited by DA299