[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

1.8.1, 8K textures, KSRSSVE high, 2.5x rescale. KSC Switcher, no KK. All dependencies are the latest versions.

VAFB is... strange. First of all, it's laggy (yellow timer) - both in space center and flight. In the latter case, it eases off if camera doesn't catch it in the frame.

Second, it's located on some sort of artificial peninsula west of actual SLC-6. Looks like Point Arguello, only 1000x times bigger (see screenshot).

RhlyWKk.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some news about the update :

• Parallax configs and textures are still being made
  • KSRSS folder structure will be completely different. So what does that mean for you? In the previous releases, you had to download KSRSS, KSRSS-Textures and, if you wanted to, KSRSSVE and KSRSSVE-Textures. Now, there will be only one dowload with all four mods. If you have only EVE (not scatterer) KSRSSVE will apply the "Lite" configs. If you have EVE and scatterer, then it will apply the "High" configs. An ingame window will allow you to change your texture resolution (for KSRSS and KSRSSVE). The dll will prevent the other textures from loading, so you will have the same loading time and RAM usage as before.
  • We are currently improving the heightmaps of the main bodies.
  • @Kierrais playing with KK statics, but we don't know if they will be part of the release.

@tony48 

I love this mod and it's great for people who don't want the full hard real solar system. 

If I would recommend something instead of making one install you split it into two installs.  Aka both high installs and lite installs. Also, you don't have to work as much. 

14 hours ago, tony48 said:

KSRSS folder structure will be completely different. So what does that mean for you? In the previous releases, you had to download KSRSS, KSRSS-Textures and, if you wanted to, KSRSSVE and KSRSSVE-Textures. Now, there will be only one dowload with all four mods. If you have only EVE (not scatterer) KSRSSVE will apply the "Lite" configs. If you have EVE and scatterer, then it will apply the "High" configs. An ingame window will allow you to change your texture resolution (for KSRSS and KSRSSVE). The dll will prevent the other textures from loading, so you will have the same loading time and RAM usage as before.

I like this feature but I just want to point out that there was another option where you didn't have to put some more work in.  And working on parallax configs ;)

Edited by Arco123

On 11/24/2020 at 6:00 AM, Quoniam Kerman said:

On what version of KSP are you playing?

following a same save on multiple successive versions can break the gameplay. If you did so, I suggest you to start a new save and see if the problem persists on the new save.

Now I can land on moon again, huge thanks!

Here is the ingame window
unknown.png

On 11/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, Arco123 said:

I like this feature but I just want to point out that there was another option where you didn't have to put some more work in.  And working on parallax configs ;)

Don’t worry the work is already done :wink:

On 11/30/2020 at 9:56 PM, theJesuit said:

I mean Earth IRL has one of these it's just that everyone agrees to never mention it.  

Actually it’s a bug, I think it does that on Moon too and maybe other bodies. Will be fixed in 0.7.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:29 AM, kylelander said:

Hey @tony48, I took a peek at the code on github and boy was I excited!

P.S. Do you have an ETA for the 0.7 Release?

KSRSS is on gitlab now, so don’t worry if you are seeing low activity on the GitHub.

Hopefully before 2021.

On 12/3/2020 at 6:06 AM, kylelander said:

Hey @Kierra and @tony48,

Your terrrain colliders for both the moon and earth are horribly broken, as demonstrated in the videos below.

For the Earth it’s a scatterer bug where the ocean visual disappears. It happens in JNSQ too, not sure what to do about it but I will see.

For the Moon I don’t see the bug in the video, it looks like a perfectly normal rendezvous maneuver.

32 minutes ago, AeroSky said:

Hello!

This mod (as well as the photos on the main post) look phenomenal! What kind of specs should we need to run this at its lowest settings?

Thanks!

We don’t know about the specs required but we recommend at least a CPU with a frequency of 3GHz and a dedicated GPU (so an AMD or NVIDIA one, not an Intel one).

1 minute ago, tony48 said:

a dedicated GPU (so an AMD or NVIDIA one, not an Intel one).

Interesting. I'll think about trying it anyway. (I can somehow run RSS/RO/RP-1 with 8k textures with minimal to no lag at all)

Thanks for the advice, though!

7 minutes ago, AeroSky said:

Interesting. I'll think about trying it anyway. (I can somehow run RSS/RO/RP-1 with 8k textures with minimal to no lag at all)

Thanks for the advice, though!

You might be able to run it with a Intel GPU. We never tried it so we don’t know but I know Intel GPUs aren’t the most powerful, and that’s why we don’t recommend it :)

1 hour ago, tony48 said:

For the Moon I don’t see the bug in the video, it looks like a perfectly normal rendezvous maneuver.

Oops! Must've uploaded the wrong video, will correct later

EDIT:

here's the new (and correct) video:

Edited by kylelander

okay, though this will take some time since i'm quite busy right now

REPRODUCTION STEPS:
Take a lander to the Ocanus Procellarium biome, and either one of two things will occur:

the terrain has no collider
or:
there is a crack in the terrain (if a kerbal steps in it, it dies)

Edited by kylelander

30 minutes ago, kylelander said:

okay, though this will take some time since i'm quite busy right now

REPRODUCTION STEPS:
Take a lander to the Ocanus Procellarium biome, and either one of two things will occur:

the terrain has no collider
or:
there is a crack in the terrain (if a kerbal steps in it, it dies)

@rogerwang86had the same problem because he was playing on an old save. Try creating a new save and see if the problem persists.

3 hours ago, tony48 said:
On 12/1/2020 at 3:56 PM, theJesuit said:

I mean Earth IRL has one of these it's just that everyone agrees to never mention it.  

Actually it’s a bug, I think it does that on Moon too and maybe other bodies. Will be fixed in 0.7.

I'm looking forward to the IRL Earth update to 0.7 too.  

Peace.