[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

573 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

1 hour ago, Perantor said:

And so I did a clean install without sigma dimensions. The Venus cloud problem is gone 

Kopernicus 56, Eve Redux, Scatterer 0.772  

Reveal hidden contents

KSRSS.png

Max setting \ texture 

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot0.png

However, the atmosphere of Mars still artifacts for reasons unknown to me.

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot1.png

I can say:
1. Configuration rescale x2.5 configured incorrectly (as I expected)
2. Artifacts on Mars are caused by some problem not rescale.

This is an issue caused by Scatterer. Regardless of who's fault this is.... this can be fixed pretty easy. 

In flight above a planet, or in the tracking station when you have a particular planet selected: Press Alt + F11. This opens the Scatterer settings menu.

Scroll to the bottom of the list and find the option that says something along the lines of "Flatten Scaled Space mesh" (can't remember if this is the exact title or not). Set it to 0.4, hit "Apply" and then hit "Save" at the very bottom.

On a quick glance, it looks like the contracts bundled with the *gitlab* version (https://gitlab.com/ksrss/KSRSS/-/tree/megapack/KSRSS/ContractPack) are pretty comprehensive. Should I expect to advance through an entire career using just those contracts, or should I also enable stock contracts and/or other packs?

(I mentioned the gitlab install rather than github because I will likely use KSP 1.11.2 not 1.8.1)

(Updating this to help others, and so I don't lose track of my installation steps. These general steps have worked well.)

I want to try KSRSS 2.5x with KSP 1.11.2. I understand that the top post is old so I read through last few pages of the thread to come up with the following install instructions.

Does anyone see flaws in my planned steps? @tony48 Maybe add something like this to your top post to help other KSRSS noobs like me?[thank you for updating the top post]

Edited by DeadJohn

3 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

On a quick glance, it looks like the contracts bundled with the *gitlab* version (https://gitlab.com/ksrss/KSRSS/-/tree/megapack/KSRSS/ContractPack) are pretty comprehensive. Should I expect to advance through an entire career using just those contracts, or should I also enable stock contracts and/or other packs?

They are like stock "Milestones" contracts. First launch, orbit Earth, fly by the Moon, land on the Moon etc etc.

3 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Does anyone see flaws in my planned steps?

You might want to install KSCSwitcher to move space center around Earth.

6 hours ago, Russekof71 said:

hello, with the latest ksp update released, do you have a release date for KSRSS as 1.12.2?

Despite the thread title that says "1.8.1 only", more recent posts in this thread mention a new version that should work with newer KSP.

If you search this thread for "gitlab" you can find more info, or just scroll up 3 posts where I listed my general install process that seems to work well with KSP 1.11.2. Use the latest Kopernicus and you should be fine for 1.12.2.

4 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Despite the thread title that says "1.8.1 only", more recent posts in this thread mention a new version that should work with newer KSP.

If you search this thread for "gitlab" you can find more info, or just scroll up 3 posts where I listed my general install process that seems to work well with KSP 1.11.2. Use the latest Kopernicus and you should be fine for 1.12.2.

Hello, I just tested your method of installing this one works. However there is a small graphical bug. When I am on the night side of the Earth there is one half which is dark and the other half which must be dark is glitched by the sunlight which is on the other side. Do you have any idea what I should do to remove it?

6 minutes ago, Russekof71 said:

Hello, I just tested your method of installing this one works. However there is a small graphical bug. When I am on the night side of the Earth there is one half which is dark and the other half which must be dark is glitched by the sunlight which is on the other side. Do you have any idea what I should do to remove it?

I saw a similar problem where I sometimes get distorted sunlight visible through Earth. My plan was to do more testing before asking about it here, but I guess it's a common problem.

Things that might fix it: Try a different Scatterer sunflare config file. Change KSRSS texture resolution.

I've been tinkering with adding KSRSS support to the Less Real Than Realism mod.  This would add the RP-1 tech tree, contracts, crew training times, and science to KSRSS (basically RP-1 Lite).

This would be part of a ground up rebuild of LRTR targeted for version 1.12.x only, so it would need to wait for KSRSS to be updated to 1.12 before it could be an 'official' release.  I'm using the beta build with 1.12 so it does work, at least unofficially.  Do you think folks would be interested in this?   

On 8/11/2021 at 7:06 PM, Russekof71 said:

Were you able to solve this problem?

I solved my sunflare-through-Earth problem but I don't know why this worked. I made changes, then undid my changes, but somehow fixed things along the way.

1. Changing KSRSS texture resolution and Scatterer settings did not fix it. Maybe there's a setting that would have worked but I'm not very good with Scatterer. I accidentally changed something along the way that made clouds and haze look less good.
  2. My logfile had some Scatterer warnings. The Scatterer CKAN install includes a sunflare config folder that might be redundant with KSRSSVE files. I manually removed that Scatterer sunflare config then got no sunflare at all; it fixed the issue of seeing sunlight through Earth but the sun looked ugly from space and the KSRSSVE sunflare wasn't activating. Maybe I deleted too many Scatterer files.
  3. I completely reinstalled Scatterer from CKAN, including their default sunflare folder. I expected that to reintroduce my sunflare-through-Earth issue but I was pleasantly surprised. Normal sunflare works now, and the reinstall also solved the cloud and haze problems I introduced during #1.

51 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Were you able to solve this problem?

On 8/11/2021 at 7:06 PM, Russekof71 said:

in the main menu change the textures to "Full Res' 

Question, I just started a new career in 2.5x KSRSS, but I don’t like how Earth’s rotation period is only around seven hours. If I tamper with the GameData files to change the length of an Earth day to 24 hours, will I encounter any serious problems? I guess the same question goes for other planets that don’t have realistic rotation or revolution periods.

29 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Question, I just started a new career in 2.5x KSRSS, but I don’t like how Earth’s rotation period is only around seven hours. If I tamper with the GameData files to change the length of an Earth day to 24 hours, will I encounter any serious problems? I guess the same question goes for other planets that don’t have realistic rotation or revolution periods.

One thing that come in mind is synchronous orbits - increasing rotation period would push them higher, possibly making them unusable.

Edited by biohazard15

48 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

One thing that come in mind is synchronous orbits - increasing rotation period would push them higher, possibly making them unusable.

That’s a good point, it also reminded me that in order for the Moon to have a realistic rotation pattern I’d have to edit its orbital period to be the proper 30 days, and instead of however long it is right now.

On 8/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, DeadJohn said:

I want to try KSRSS 2.5x with KSP 1.11.2. I understand that the top post is old so I read through last few pages of the thread to come up with the following install instructions.

Does anyone see flaws in my planned steps? @tony48 Maybe add something like this to your top post to help other KSRSS noobs like me?

@DeadJohn, @tony48, So I tried this, and it is hanging on the loading screen. I can hear music and the loading logo is present in the lower right hand corner, but it will not load past that. Running 1.11.2 on a clean install. KSRSS seems to be the culprit. I have Kopernicus, EVE, and Scatterer loaded. It will boot up and run with only those installed, but as soon as I add KSRSS it hangs at the loading screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Any suggestions?

It would really help to see your GameData folder, but I'm using KSRSS on 1.11.2, so it's definitely possible. You'll need the Gitlab (0.7) dev version, not the released version. You also need the latest Kopernicus, I'm on 1.12.1.59, which is probably a couple builds behind by now but works.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

5 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

@DeadJohn, @tony48, So I tried this, and it is hanging on the loading screen. I can hear music and the loading logo is present in the lower right hand corner, but it will not load past that. Running 1.11.2 on a clean install. KSRSS seems to be the culprit. I have Kopernicus, EVE, and Scatterer loaded. It will boot up and run with only those installed, but as soon as I add KSRSS it hangs at the loading screen. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

KSRSS has been stable for me on 1.11.2.

OrbitalManeuvers mentioned seeing a copy of your GameData folder. That's to make sure you have things in [KSP folder]/gamedata/KSRSS and not something like gamedata/gamedata/KSRSS.

See the thread below for more info about common issues, and instructions for how to post logfiles if you still can't find anything wrong.

On 4/30/2021 at 3:56 AM, Grantt said:

Does anyone know why my launch pad-runway-VAB, ect grass texture is shiny??

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this. I have a similar problem. Is it a known bug (KSRSS 0.7, KSP 1.11.2), or does the KSRSS team need screenshots and log files?

To me, the issue looks like a thin layer of reflective water placed on the grass surrounding KSC structures. It's most noticeable if I use KSC Switcher to pick the desert launch site in Algeria (DZ Hammaguir). Launch from SPH and the runway and surrounding desert look good, but the sloped grass along the runway has a mirror-like finish. As I move the camera around the reflection changes, and it definitely looks like a combination of grass and water.

21 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

It would really help to see your GameData folder, but I'm using KSRSS on 1.11.2, so it's definitely possible. You'll need the Gitlab (0.7) dev version, not the released version. You also need the latest Kopernicus, I'm on 1.12.1.59, which is probably a couple builds behind by now but works.

Sorry about that. See attached.

pZU0XNK.jpg

I followed @DeadJohnprocedure exactly. The only deviation was that Sigma Dimensions was not on CKAN that I could find. I installed it manually. As you can see here, I took that out and it still hangs on the loading screen. I never got to the Cap Kanaveral mod as I could not get it to proceed. The KSRSS megapack is the Gitlab version. All mods are the latest version per CKAN, and per Gitlab.

23 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Sorry about that. See attached.

pZU0XNK.jpg

I followed @DeadJohnprocedure exactly. The only deviation was that Sigma Dimensions was not on CKAN that I could find. I installed it manually. As you can see here, I took that out and it still hangs on the loading screen. I never got to the Cap Kanaveral mod as I could not get it to proceed. The KSRSS megapack is the Gitlab version. All mods are the latest version per CKAN, and per Gitlab.

KSRSS-megapack shouldn't be a folder in your gamedata. Please see the installation instructions in the OP which are now up to date.

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

I haven't seen anyone else comment on this. I have a similar problem. Is it a known bug (KSRSS 0.7, KSP 1.11.2), or does the KSRSS team need screenshots and log files?

To me, the issue looks like a thin layer of reflective water placed on the grass surrounding KSC structures. It's most noticeable if I use KSC Switcher to pick the desert launch site in Algeria (DZ Hammaguir). Launch from SPH and the runway and surrounding desert look good, but the sloped grass along the runway has a mirror-like finish. As I move the camera around the reflection changes, and it definitely looks like a combination of grass and water.

Make sure you have the latest beta (download in the OP).

4 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

I have this too with 0.7 from gitlabs and KSP 1.11.2. Personally, I haven't seen the dev team say they want bug reports for the dev version, so I've just been keeping them to myself.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:49 PM, tony48 said:

KSRSS-megapack shouldn't be a folder in your gamedata. Please see the installation instructions in the OP which are now up to date.

Make sure you have the latest beta (download in the OP).

Hey, thanks for the help. I struggled a bit getting it loaded because there was more than one KSRSS folder. But once I opened them I realized which was the right one and got it squared away. It now boots up fine and looks great!

Two cents worth... I tried both Katniss and Cape Kanaveral and I like CK better. Personal preference. Both are fine works. I didn't like how Katniss was based on actual overhead photos. It just didn't feel right when combined with the Kerbal style launch pads from Tundra.

Anyway, great job with the mod. I am looking forward to flying missions from this "new" planet. 

One last procedure question that I am not clear on... to get the x2.5 scale do I have to simply install Sigma Dimensions and it does it automatically? Or do I have to adjust the Base Settings in the SD Settings file? If I adjust the Base Settings, do I adjust the Resize, Rescale, Atmosphere, and dayLengthMultiplier to 2.5, or just the Rescale setting?

Thanks again for your help. :)

On 8/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I have this too with 0.7 from gitlabs and KSP 1.11.2. Personally, I haven't seen the dev team say they want bug reports for the dev version, so I've just been keeping them to myself.

Should be fixed in the last beta