[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

53 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Can anyone please provide some tips on how to use Kronometer with KSRSS? Once installed does it automatically update the clock to a 24 hour day? My game seems to still be on a 6 hour day. Gamedata screen shot below:

jHCcTMH.jpg

I checked the button in settings to use Earth time. Still doesn't work. Do I have to change the setting.cfg file?

Thanks

Kronometer doesn't change the real duration of the day/year. It changes the clock definition so that it matches the real duration. It is recommended because in KSRSS the year is longer than in stock KSP, so without kronometer you'll get to Year 2 before the Earth has actually made a revolution around the sun.
It is highly recommended if you play with KSRSS x2.5 (planets 2.5 times larger) because the day duration is 7.5 hours so Kronometer will tell the clock to change the day definition to 7.5 hours.

Now if you want clock days to be 24 hours you don't need Kronometer. Uninstall it, then go in the KSP settings and enable "Use Earth Time". You will have 4 "real" days for 1 "clock" days since the rotation period won't change.

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Can anyone please provide some tips on how to use Kronometer with KSRSS? Once installed does it automatically update the clock to a 24 hour day? My game seems to still be on a 6 hour day. Gamedata screen shot below:

I checked the button in settings to use Earth time. Still doesn't work. Do I have to change the setting.cfg file?

Thanks

Which KSP version are you running? 

1 hour ago, tony48 said:

Kronometer doesn't change the real duration of the day/year. It changes the clock definition so that it matches the real duration. It is recommended because in KSRSS the year is longer than in stock KSP, so without kronometer you'll get to Year 2 before the Earth has actually made a revolution around the sun.
It is highly recommended if you play with KSRSS x2.5 (planets 2.5 times larger) because the day duration is 7.5 hours so Kronometer will tell the clock to change the day definition to 7.5 hours.

Now if you want clock days to be 24 hours you don't need Kronometer. Uninstall it, then go in the KSP settings and enable "Use Earth Time". You will have 4 "real" days for 1 "clock" days since the rotation period won't change.

57 minutes ago, Pehvbot said:

Which KSP version are you running? 

Oops. Sorry. I am running 1.11.2.

So If I understand you correctly, once I install Kronometer, I don't have to change any setting and the mod will automatically change Earth's orbit around the Sun to the correct 365 day cycle. But how do I change the day/night cycle on Earth to the correct 24 hour cycle? Right now in game, if I start at sunrise, the sun lit period (daytime) is only about 6 hours long. IRL in Florida even in the depths of winter you will get approximately 9-10 hours of sunlight.

I apologize for these seemingly stupid questions. I must be missing something very simple. I just don't understand how Kronometer is supposed to work with KSRSS.

Thanks again.

Edited by DaveyJ576
addition

5 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

the mod will automatically change Earth's orbit around the Sun to the correct 365 day cycle.

No, you can't change the year to be 365 days, and you can't change the day to be 24 hours because the solar system is ten times smaller and these values wouldn't make sense. What Kronometer and the "Use Earth Time" does is that it change the Day (or Year) definition of the KSP clock. The clock is the green/yellow/red thing in the top left corner. For example, if you enable the "Use Earth Time" settings in KSP, a day on the clock will be equal to 24 ingame hours but the Earth will still rotate every 6 hours. So in one clock "day" you will see 4 sunrises and 4 sunsets.

20 hours ago, tony48 said:

No, you can't change the year to be 365 days, and you can't change the day to be 24 hours because the solar system is ten times smaller and these values wouldn't make sense. What Kronometer and the "Use Earth Time" does is that it change the Day (or Year) definition of the KSP clock. The clock is the green/yellow/red thing in the top left corner. For example, if you enable the "Use Earth Time" settings in KSP, a day on the clock will be equal to 24 ingame hours but the Earth will still rotate every 6 hours. So in one clock "day" you will see 4 sunrises and 4 sunsets.

@tony48, thank you for your patient response to my questions. I think I have it now. I have to continually remind myself of the effect of scaling on the entire KSP experience. I have played Stock for the last two years so the move up to KSRSS changed a lot of how you relate to KSP and fly your missions. It was a good move and I like this mod a lot. But there is a learning curve to it that I wasn't prepared for. Thanks again! :)

3 hours ago, Busmar said:

Is KSRSS compatible with KSP 1.12 yet? 

Tried installing it, but whenever KSRSS is loaded my game keeps getting stuck or crash at "loading expansion complete". 

If not compatible for 1.12, is it compatible for 1.11?

Thanks in advance:confused:

I am running KSRSS on a 1.11.2 install and it works fine. It does, however, use up quite a bit of my computer’s processing power. I experience momentary stops as the processor and the RAM catch up. A planned upgrade to a more capable computer should solve that. 

7 hours ago, Busmar said:

It is

7 hours ago, Busmar said:

Tried installing it, but whenever KSRSS is loaded my game keeps getting stuck or crash at "loading expansion complete". 

It's normal that the game freeze at this moment, don't touch anything, and it should reach the main menu.

39 minutes ago, tony48 said:

It is

It's normal that the game freeze at this moment, don't touch anything, and it should reach the main menu.

Oh okay.. How low will it tend to freeze? Mine got this blue loading icon for a couple of minutes, but maybe it will take longer the first time?

EDIT: It now works, installed everything manually and WOW - Looks so super duper awesome!! :)

Edited by Busmar

14 hours ago, lionbeast321 said:

https://imgur.com/MjtDzFl

this is a problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

I do not know how to fix it (sunflare visible through the shadowed side of Earth), but I suspect it's a sunflare configuration  problem.

My initial use of KSRSS had the same problem. I also noticed that sunflare was using what seemed to be Kopernicus' default rather than RSS' version. I tried to get the RSS sunflare working, without luck, but somewhere along the way the sun no longer shone through Earth.

For anyone who is interested, I've just updated the Less Real than Real(ism) mod to support KSRSS as well as RSS.  The this is a beta release and only supports KSP 1.12.x

Less Real than Real(ism) is basically a simplified and more 'Kerbal' version RP-1 without Realism Overhaul.   It supports lots of mods but is really designed to be run as lightweight as possible.

This is definitely an early beta.  It's feature complete but there are certainly many rough edges, especially with the contracts in KSRSS.  

The LRTR KerbalismConfig for this isn't quite ready yet but should be out soon.

I have only done basic testing with KSRSS so there are probably some issues.  One big one is the default Kerbal Construction Time preset is geared toward RSS time so build times are ridiculously long.   The quick and dirty fix is to open up the KCT Settings (the gear icon in the KCT window) click on the show/hide formulas button and add (without quotes) '6*' to the beginning of the NodeFormula and BuildRate text boxes. (i.e. 6*(2.5+...).

On 9/23/2021 at 5:58 PM, tony48 said:
On 9/23/2021 at 10:38 AM, Busmar said:

It is

If I want to play in 1.12, do I have to manually install something from gitlab like a few people said in August a few pages back or can I just use the download link in the OP

Also, is there a Δv map for KSRSS that does not assume you are going to rescale it and takes the latitude of the space center into account?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Neebel

I really want to try this mod out, it looks amazing!

Question - Is it possible to somehow get Astronomer's Visual Pack to work with this?

If there isn't, that is perfectly okay. :) 

Also, does this work fine in 1.12.2?

Edited by SpaceX_Boi

5 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Question - Is it possible to somehow get Astronomer's Visual Pack to work with this?

AFAIK there is no third-party visual packs for KSRSS. It has its own configs for EVE and Scatterer, though.

5 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Also, does this work fine in 1.12.2?

Yes.

22 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

AFAIK there is no third-party visual packs for KSRSS. It has its own configs for EVE and Scatterer, though.

Yes.

Ok, thank you! :)

Trying to figure out if I did everything correctly, and I apologise if this is a stupid question.

I installed everything as mentioned in the first post, with Sigma Dimensions for 2.5x scale. Thing is, I've never played on 2.5x scale so I'm not sure what to expect.

I took the "First Launch" contract and I put a Stayputnik on top of an FM1 Mite booster with 4 basic fins... and to my surprise, this thing flew straight into space (reached ~ 95 km). I'm thinking this shouldn't be the case, but I'm not sure because of the 2.5x scale I'm playing at. I was expecting it would be harder to put stuff into space, not easier. So, basically wondering if this is correct.

I started with a clean install, so not using a lot of mods  apart from the ones mentioned in the install guide: https://imgur.com/a/hYekDpX

If someone could tell me if this is correct behaviour, or if not, point me in the right direction to fix this, I would be very grateful. Thanks! :) 

EDIT: After putting on some chutes and science experiments, the delta-v dropped drastically and everything feels more realistic. No more straight to space now. 

Edited by carrots

On 10/4/2021 at 2:01 AM, carrots said:

I installed everything as mentioned in the first post, with Sigma Dimensions for 2.5x scale. Thing is, I've never played on 2.5x scale so I'm not sure what to expect.

I took the "First Launch" contract and I put a Stayputnik on top of an FM1 Mite booster with 4 basic fins... and to my surprise, this thing flew straight into space (reached ~ 95 km). I'm thinking this shouldn't be the case, but I'm not sure because of the 2.5x scale I'm playing at. I was expecting it would be harder to put stuff into space, not easier. So, basically wondering if this is correct.

No, that's correct behavior. Atmosphere and gravity doesn't change much in rescales, since these are Earth-like already. Thus, launching something straight up tend to produce very stock-alike results.