[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

573 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

Started playing KSRSS a few days ago, love it so far!

One question though, why are my clouds like this when I pass through the clouds layer at launch? These don't exactly look like 32k. Also, every time I launch KSP the KSRSSVE settings thing automatically pops up again. Could these things be related?

V2k048I.png

Edited by Neebel

5 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

Is it possible to do something in x2.5 in order to be able to make launches to the moon during the day? (because now KSCs such as Baikonur or Cape) pass over the plane of the moon exclusively at night. 

[opinion]

This is due to the lack of axial tilt in KSP 1, which then leads to modders having to make a difficult decision about the earth/moon/ecliptic relationship.  So KSRSS (and I guess RSS, but not sure) have decided to prioritize the relationship between Florida and the moon. This is only a prioritization, not a replication, since there's no axial tilt involved. What this decision de-emphasizes is the relationship between the moon and the solar system ecliptic - which is 5.1 degrees.  So one relationship is closer to reality, but another is farther from reality. Importantly, neither actually IS reality.

When KSP 2 introduces axial tilt I will bite the bullet and learn everything about how Florida and Baikonur deal with their inclinations and the moon's inclination and orbits reachable from both locations. I'll build the ISS, and do all that RL stuff, trying to follow RL procedures and whatnot. But, until then ... ?

My decision for myself and my KSP time is to postpone the process of learning inclination until the game can reproduce the real solar system, so I don't spend time learning things wrong. So for now I go the stock route of mostly ignoring inclination. I do that by removing inclination from the moon and all the planets, and I launch from Kourou. I still have to deal with that 5 degrees, but that's a good enough intro into the concept of launch site inclination for me, for now. When we can tilt the earth 23.5 degrees, and Florida can dip below and rise above the ecliptic, and the moon's in the right place, then I'll bite the bullet and learn how all that works.

[/opinion]

Hi!

Can someone please confirm the length of day with the 2.5x Sigma Dimensions?  Is it 12 hours, or 7.5 hours?

Looking to support this with an alternate KerbalismSimplex, as JNSQ is a 12 hour day, but if it is 7.5 hours then it will need another profile.

Thanks,

28 minutes ago, VASMIR said:

Wait is KSC Switcher compatible with KSRSS?  Love your mod by the way.

Yes. I'm thinking it's sorta required actually, but yeah it works. Mine seems to be 2.0.0.0.

11 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Hi!

Can someone please confirm the length of day with the 2.5x Sigma Dimensions?  Is it 12 hours, or 7.5 hours?

Looking to support this with an alternate KerbalismSimplex, as JNSQ is a 12 hour day, but if it is 7.5 hours then it will need another profile.

Thanks,

7.5hrs at 2.5x scale.

5 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Yes. I'm thinking it's sorta required actually, but yeah it works. Mine seems to be 2.0.0.0.

7.5hrs at 2.5x scale.

Cool, this complicates things a little. :)  I'll need to rethink how I want to achieve compatibility.

Thanks!

Edited by theJesuit

On 9/26/2021 at 5:46 AM, Pehvbot said:

For anyone who is interested, I've just updated the Less Real than Real(ism) mod to support KSRSS as well as RSS.  The this is a beta release and only supports KSP 1.12.x

Less Real than Real(ism) is basically a simplified and more 'Kerbal' version RP-1 without Realism Overhaul.   It supports lots of mods but is really designed to be run as lightweight as possible.

This is definitely an early beta.  It's feature complete but there are certainly many rough edges, especially with the contracts in KSRSS.  

The LRTR KerbalismConfig for this isn't quite ready yet but should be out soon.

I have only done basic testing with KSRSS so there are probably some issues.  One big one is the default Kerbal Construction Time preset is geared toward RSS time so build times are ridiculously long.   The quick and dirty fix is to open up the KCT Settings (the gear icon in the KCT window) click on the show/hide formulas button and add (without quotes) '6*' to the beginning of the NodeFormula and BuildRate text boxes. (i.e. 6*(2.5+...).

Is there a way to disable the KCT part of this?

13 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

Is there a way to disable the KCT part of this?

Yep.  Click on the settings (gear) icon in the KCT window.  You can adjust all the settings there, including disabling it entirely.  It's the top button on the middle-right.  The only down side is I think it disables crew training as well.

NOTE:  That version has some serious issues (as expected). I'll post the latest beta today.  It should be a drop in replacement since it's basically all bug fixes.   It's still a beta so if you find something wonky with it let me know.

35 minutes ago, Pehvbot said:

Yep.  Click on the settings (gear) icon in the KCT window.  You can adjust all the settings there, including disabling it entirely.  It's the top button on the middle-right.  The only down side is I think it disables crew training as well.

NOTE:  That version has some serious issues (as expected). I'll post the latest beta today.  It should be a drop in replacement since it's basically all bug fixes.   It's still a beta so if you find something wonky with it let me know.

Excellent, thank you :)

For those interested, I've updated Less Real Than Real(ism) to the first 2.0 release.  This fixes all kinds of bug, selects the correct settings for Kerbal Construction Time for stock or 2.5x, and adds Kerbalism support for stock and 2.5x size worlds.  More info here:

In addition to the requirements listed, I strongly suggest using Kronometer, Restock/Restock+, and KSC Switcher.  As always, let me know if you run into any bugs, if it doesn't work as expected, etc.  

I can’t seem to get the clouds to work. I open KSP, wait for the loading screen to finish, choose max resolutions, save, and quit KSP. I reopen the game to find nothing has changed and the resolution choice window is still there on startup, no clouds. Is this a common problem?

2 hours ago, Socowez said:

I can’t seem to get the clouds to work. I open KSP, wait for the loading screen to finish, choose max resolutions, save, and quit KSP. I reopen the game to find nothing has changed and the resolution choice window is still there on startup, no clouds. Is this a common problem?

Did you install EVE? That's what creates the clouds. See the list of dependencies in the 1st post of this thread.

Are you just looking on the startup menu, or actually loading a saved game? Sometimes that initial menu screen doesn't show clouds even when they are working correctly.

I'm getting a game breaking NRE spam which appears to be related to the navball being open after I have placed a manoeuvre node.  I have no idea what the root cause is though the logs appear to suggest something related to Harmony.

Incidentally, it appears that Harmony is a dependency for KSRSS, since it won't load without it but it's not mentioned anywhere in the installation instructions that I can see?

Logs here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gZAdrCL747gZ0PiY3NGMARwl2dC6A4OB/view?usp=sharing

36 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Incidentally, it appears that Harmony is a dependency for KSRSS, since it won't load without it

While I do have Harmony installed now, I didn't previously, and never had problems loading KSRSS. For me it came as a dependency of ConformalDecals**. Maybe CD is borking on load?

Edit: ConformalDecals, not TU. Whoops.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

9 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

While I do have Harmony installed now, I didn't previously, and never had problems loading KSRSS. For me it came as a dependency of ConformalDecals**. Maybe CD is borking on load?

Edit: ConformalDecals, not TU. Whoops.

I don't have Conformal Decals in this install yet.  It was deliberately minimalist to get a stable version of KSRSS and Kerbalism working before I add flavour mods.  Harmony appears to be have insinuated it's way into being a hard dependency and I'm at a loss as to why