[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

@Kovac I very rarely get crashes. I don't play with the settings maxed out, because I can't :D I do have more mods than you as well.

If you've ruled everything out, and are struggling, have you tried starting completely from scratch? Delete the game entirely, redownload it, then add the mods. It's drastic, and it won't tell you what was wrong, but if you've no ideas for anything else, maybe it's worth a go?

3 hours ago, Kovac said:

Where do I find the log file? This is my gamedata folder:

The log file should be in the same folder as the ksp executable. Although, I have seen people come up with a "player.log" which is a file I never have, so I'm not 100% sure how to explain that. I get a ksp.log next to ksp_x64.exe. I'm guessing you installed scatterer manually, since it's not in the earlier CKAN screenshot? Are you using the latest or the previous release? I think for right now, it's basically a must to be on 0.770 of scatterer and not the latest versions. At the same time, I don't think that would lead to crashes, only borked visuals. I hope someone else has better ideas than me today. Were I in your situation, I think I would just get rid of everything but kop/ksrss and see if it behaves. I have like 90+ mods installed, and I'm super careful and do only manual updates of mods, but even being careful sometimes I still just have to delete stuff, go re-download the original files, and start from scratch. 

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

but please correct me if I am wrong.

unfortunately, i agree with you so I don't think those are the culprits.  I don't know how else to explain that our paths are the same in the Eve config window, and we have the same files in that folder, but yours shows a different setting from somewhere else.  Do you have grep or a tool like that? I grepped for "EVE_CLOUDS" on my install from the GameData folder down, and I found 4 files under KSRSS, and one under SigmaDimensions folder, but that's it. If I'm not mistaken, that's the node name that would have to appear in some cfg file somewhere in order to show up in Eve. I think?

39 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

unfortunately, i agree with you so I don't think those are the culprits.  I don't know how else to explain that our paths are the same in the Eve config window, and we have the same files in that folder, but yours shows a different setting from somewhere else.  Do you have grep or a tool like that? I grepped for "EVE_CLOUDS" on my install from the GameData folder down, and I found 4 files under KSRSS, and one under SigmaDimensions folder, but that's it. If I'm not mistaken, that's the node name that would have to appear in some cfg file somewhere in order to show up in Eve. I think?

Success! Based on your posts, I went into the Clouds.cfg file in the KSRSS/KSRSSVE/EVE folder and studied it carefully. It had a lot of info concerning the other planets, but when I scrolled all the way to the bottom it had only 3 lines with 3 words about Earth. It seemed strangely formatted. I suddenly remembered that I had downloaded the KSRSS megapack to a holding folder a while back for a test install. I went to that folder and found that the Clouds.cfg file was almost totally different. It had a lot of lines concerning Earth so I copied and pasted it into my appropriate KSRSS Gamedata folder, replacing the old file. I booted up the game and for pity's sake there were the clouds!

I believe the problem started with the EVE Redux update that CKAN installed a few weeks ago. I think it borked the Clouds.cfg file in some way because it worked fine prior to that.

You weren't able to provide a lot of info to me, but what you did provide pointed me in the right direction. Using a little intuition I then was able to fix it. Thank you for your assistance @OrbitalManeuvers. I appreciate it!

Fixed it myself (1.12.2.3167)

Add before "Template{}" to "Earth.cfg"

Spoiler

Debug
        {
            exportMesh = True
            update = True
        }

The Eatrh now looks kinda FLAT, but i guess it should be like this.

Hi , I'm running something like an Egyptian space program , so I found that the Nile Delta is cut into two islands so I would like to tell you that the middle water line should not be there as it's not in real life , the second thing is that the delta from the end of the two outer water lines should be so small at the end as there's a land line near the Mediterranean   end , the third notice is that the suez canal in not there , Hope you understanded what I mean and fix the dds image and terrain , Thanks in advance.

I am normally a pretty intelligent guy, but I have to ask a potentially dumb question in order to understand something that I struggle a bit with... scaling.

I am running KSRSS at x2.5. Is it correct to say that an orbit of 120 km with this mod at these settings is the equivalent of a 480 km orbit on a full size, real life Earth? The OP states that x2.5 is four times smaller than real life so it seems correct to my numbers addled brain that you would simply multiply your orbital parameters by four in order to get the real life equivalent. 

I am fully willing to admit that I gooned that up. :confused: Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thank you.

5 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I am normally a pretty intelligent guy, but I have to ask a potentially dumb question in order to understand something that I struggle a bit with... scaling.

I am running KSRSS at x2.5. Is it correct to say that an orbit of 120 km with this mod at these settings is the equivalent of a 480 km orbit on a full size, real life Earth? The OP states that x2.5 is four times smaller than real life so it seems correct to my numbers addled brain that you would simply multiply your orbital parameters by four in order to get the real life equivalent. 

I am fully willing to admit that I gooned that up. :confused: Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thank you.

Yes its simple, this is not rocket science

6 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Is it correct to say that an orbit of 120 km with this mod at these settings is the equivalent of a 480 km orbit on a full size, real life Earth?

Hmmm, if this were true, then you should be able to divide the larger one by 4 to get the smaller one, too. But Apollo 11 entered an Earth orbit of 185km x 183km, which when divided by 4 is not valid for KSRSS, so something is wonky with this way of thinking.

3 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hmmm, if this were true, then you should be able to divide the larger one by 4 to get the smaller one, too. But Apollo 11 entered an Earth orbit of 185km x 183km, which when divided by 4 is not valid for KSRSS, so something is wonky with this way of thinking.

It is and isn't wonky at the same time...!

It is in fact the correct scale factor, it just feels off because on these scaled down planets, the atmospheres have to be abnormally high to feel challenging and realistic.

If the atmosphere of 1/4 size Earth was to scale, then it would "end" and space would "start" at only 25km! It is a common KSP problem for pretty much everything besides RSS

45 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

It is and isn't wonky at the same time...!

It is in fact the correct scale factor, it just feels off because on these scaled down planets, the atmospheres have to be abnormally high to feel challenging and realistic.

If the atmosphere of 1/4 size Earth was to scale, then it would "end" and space would "start" at only 25km! It is a common KSP problem for pretty much everything besides RSS

…and that is what was screwing me up. The fact that the atmosphere was still at a “realistic” altitude was causing me to doubt my figures.

The genesis of this whole thing was the performance of the BDB Saturn IB on my KSRSS Earth. It seemed to be drastically underpowered as it was barely able to lift a half fueled CSM to 115km, when in real life it was capable of 400 km or more. The BDB dev team are pretty smart cookies so I couldn’t believe they gooned it up. You end up threading a needle in getting it high enough to keep it in orbit but not too high to run it out of gas. Its fairly low TWR doesn’t help either.

Scaling is an interesting and sometimes confusing part of KSRSS and KSP in general. I just wanted to confirm in my mind that the performance was realistic. 

For some reason the atmosphere of titan is black from above, it still has the normal reddish glow and normal surface; this only happens when both scatterer and EVE are installed, having one or the other is fine, just not both.

10 hours ago, 3lok said:

For some reason the atmosphere of titan is black from above, it still has the normal reddish glow and normal surface; this only happens when both scatterer and EVE are installed, having one or the other is fine, just not both.

My guess is that you're on the latest version of scatterer, which is no longer compatible with KSRSS. Maybe try a back rev of scatterer, like 0772.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 6:04 AM, lionbeast321 said:

https://imgur.com/MjtDzFl

this is a problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

On 9/25/2021 at 9:03 PM, DeadJohn said:

I do not know how to fix it (sunflare visible through the shadowed side of Earth), but I suspect it's a sunflare configuration  problem.

My initial use of KSRSS had the same problem. I also noticed that sunflare was using what seemed to be Kopernicus' default rather than RSS' version. I tried to get the RSS sunflare working, without luck, but somewhere along the way the sun no longer shone through Earth.

I've got now the  same problem. Can't figure out where the problem is. I tried different versions of KSP, different versions of Scatterer and different sun flares.  
I  installed KSRSS plenty of times before, never ran in any problem. Until now.

4 hours ago, Hinkypunk said:

I've got now the  same problem.

Sorry I don't really have a solution for you. But, I don't have this issue, so I can give you the version numbers of what I have installed.

Kop=1.12.1.60 (from plugins/kopernicus.version), MFI = 1.2.10.0 (from DLL, no .version file)

Eve = 1.11.5.1

Scatterer = 0.772.0.0 (version number from Windows directly from the DLL, no .version file).

DOE = 2.1.1.6, Planetshine = 0.2.6.3

My Kop build is from right before they started working on the land scatter and sinking into the terrain issues. And my scatterer version is an older build, too, on purpose.

21 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

UPDATE

It didn't work. But I found the solution. For unknown reason the "Rendering Quality" didn't stay on a higher setting and fell always back to "Simple" or "Normal"  (I play the game in German, so I don't know the correct word in the settings).  I had to set a higher value it in the settings.cfg (QUALITY_PRESET) and now my problem is gone :)

But thank you anyway and a happy new year :)

P.S.

Sorry for the doublepost. 

On 11/16/2021 at 3:02 PM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

I've returned to help myself since I finally got time to dissect the black terrain issue outside of the VAB - it's caused by the presence of KSCSwitcher when you also have SigmaDimensions for the rescale. The parts of the 2.5 config that are triggered by KSCSwitcher actually created two defects for me: the black terrain outside the VAB, and also, all the built-in KSP statics at the KSC were floating about a meter above the ground. That too is fixed by removing KSCSwitcher.

There's probably a better solution than removing KSCSwitcher, but I am wholly unfamiliar with the cfg code in those sections. Hope this helps someone!

I boot it up with no other mods, completely stock ksp with only this mod and its dependencies, and it plays the menu music but it's still on the loading screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh i think i was missing  files for squad 336 files failed to validate

It still is broken

Fix ur mod, please?

Edited by siklidkid
Impolite.

28 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

I boot it up with no other mods, completely stock ksp with only this mod and its dependencies, and it plays the menu music but it's still on the loading screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh i think i was missing  files for squad 336 files failed to validate

It still is broken

Fix ur mod!

This mod isn`t broken. It works well in KSP 1.12.x. There is nothing to fix.

If it is broken for you:

We don`t have crystal balls.