[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

573 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

Hi, just switched over from JNSQ to KSRSS 2.5x for my BDB/Tantares/ect saves, but I am finding it significantly harder to impossible to fly BDB/Tantares craft into orbit here than in JNSQ.  This confuses me a bit as JNSQ is a 2.7 rescale of stock yet I have no issues there.  Is this intended or have I installed something incorrectly?  Thanks.

9 hours ago, Friznit said:

Prime suspect is Outer Wilds Program, given it's another planet pack running alongside KSRSS I'd imagine that might cause a conflict.

Actually that's my custom music folder for the Soundtrack Editor mod. It has a bunch of music from Outer Wilds, I just called it that as a combination of it and KSP.

6 hours ago, Transformatron said:

Hi, just switched over from JNSQ to KSRSS 2.5x for my BDB/Tantares/ect saves, but I am finding it significantly harder to impossible to fly BDB/Tantares craft into orbit here than in JNSQ.  This confuses me a bit as JNSQ is a 2.7 rescale of stock yet I have no issues there.  Is this intended or have I installed something incorrectly?  Thanks.

That's very strange indeed.  I see nothing in the KSRSS configs that would make Earth in KSRSS substantially different than Kerbin in JNSQ.  I have no explanation.

12 hours ago, Transformatron said:

Main difference between JNSQ and KSRSS is real launch sites in the latter, which may make it more challenging to achieve things like GEO. But simple LEO should actually be slightly easier to do, due to 2.5x Earth being smaller than JNSQ Kerbin. Are you using MJ, or fly manually?

11 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Main difference between JNSQ and KSRSS is real launch sites in the latter, which may make it more challenging to achieve things like GEO. But simple LEO should actually be slightly easier to do, due to 2.5x Earth being smaller than JNSQ Kerbin. Are you using MJ, or fly manually?

Mechjeb PVG ended up pitching me over 20 km too early and flying manually I could not achieve orbit with a Saturn V, gravity losses were too high.  The speed at which my rockets take off is slower which makes me think somehow my gravity is wrong?

Update: it seems to be working fine now, it may have been a mechjeb issue, although the BDB Saturn Ib still does not work well lol :D

Edited by Transformatron

15 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

I think in Ksrss the default site is also on the equator?

8 hours ago, Transformatron said:

although the BDB Saturn Ib still does not work well lol

Be sure to switch CSM to Orbital (this reduces fuel load) and launch to lofted trajectory (100 m\s turn start and 0.3deg turn rate in PVG instead of default 50\0.5). 

3 hours ago, cinemagic said:

I think in Ksrss the default site is also on the equator?

Not quite - Kourou is about 5 degrees North.

If anything it should be easier to launch to orbit with KSRSS than JNSQ. KSRSS's atmospheric threshold is lower (69km vs 80km) and pressure drops off quicker so there should be less total drag.

One though that sprung to mind - do you have FAR installed? Only in one of the cases? Not in either? FAR changes the aerodynamics quite drastically and can make a big difference to how much dV is needed to reach orbit for any given launch vehicle.

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

If anything it should be easier to launch to orbit with KSRSS than JNSQ. KSRSS's atmospheric threshold is lower (69km vs 80km) and pressure drops off quicker so there should be less total drag.

One though that sprung to mind - do you have FAR installed? Only in one of the cases? Not in either? FAR changes the aerodynamics quite drastically and can make a big difference to how much dV is needed to reach orbit for any given launch vehicle.

Is it at 69 for 2.5x KSRSS or normal KSRSS?  The install I'm on has atmosphere at 90km

10 minutes ago, Transformatron said:

Is it at 69 for 2.5x KSRSS or normal KSRSS?  The install I'm on has atmosphere at 90km

Oh, right, sorry:blush2:.  I only looked at the Kopernicus Earth cfg file. Forgot to take the sigma dimensions rescale into account.

Please help!
I tried to install this mod, but now everytime I launch the game, the yellow bar goes all the way then the game crashes. Anyone can help me please what causes it and how to fix it?

My mods: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gqf1mtqEckJ8azV-8xSVSB8ehZKxwSsW/view?usp=sharing

Crash screen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qir7wWHqJ0-XwqNUKSItIDj1KNZX_Im7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

1 hour ago, Yagron said:

Please help!
I tried to install this mod, but now everytime I launch the game, the yellow bar goes all the way then the game crashes. Anyone can help me please what causes it and how to fix it?

My mods: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gqf1mtqEckJ8azV-8xSVSB8ehZKxwSsW/view?usp=sharing

Crash screen: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qir7wWHqJ0-XwqNUKSItIDj1KNZX_Im7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

8 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Thanks I'll try a clean install once I get home and report back. It's my first time troubleshooting ksp mods, I was kinda hoping someone just glance at it and tell me what am I doing stupid...

11 hours ago, Yagron said:

Thanks I'll try a clean install once I get home and report back. It's my first time troubleshooting ksp mods, I was kinda hoping someone just glance at it and tell me what am I doing stupid...

Ok, I tried with only Kopernicus and it's dependencies installed.  Crashes all the same....

The log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11cMbmXsOwt7FiSR9zBi4ukVBOzJ_mwh5/view?usp=sharing

48 minutes ago, Yagron said:

Ok, I tried with only Kopernicus and it's dependencies installed.  Crashes all the same....

The log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11cMbmXsOwt7FiSR9zBi4ukVBOzJ_mwh5/view?usp=sharing

OK, the crash error was:

GetLastError: 'Érvénytelen cím hozzáférésére tett kísérlet.'

Which Google Translate tells me is "An attempt was made to access an invalid address." This might imply you are running out of memory.

Could we see the crash log that KSP wrote to C:/Users/SztGabor/AppData/Local/Temp/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Crashes

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

OK, the crash error was:

GetLastError: 'Érvénytelen cím hozzáférésére tett kísérlet.'

Which Google Translate tells me is "An attempt was made to access an invalid address." This might imply you are running out of memory.

Could we see the crash log that KSP wrote to C:/Users/SztGabor/AppData/Local/Temp/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Crashes

Didn't notice the logfile contained parts in my native language :D but Google Translate did a fine job. 
I assume the error.log file is the interesting one in the given location? Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QNRTfHtfFacbtkKQVdxqrXbI1B6GP1zG/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

47 minutes ago, Yagron said:

I assume the error.log file is the interesting one in the given location? Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QNRTfHtfFacbtkKQVdxqrXbI1B6GP1zG/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Yes, that's the file. It definitely looks like you are running out of memory.

Try editing the GameData/RSRSS/resolution.cfg file to set the smallest texture files:

KSRSSSETTINGS
{
	textureRes = 4k
	textureVERes = 8k
}

On my system KSP with just KSRSS and Kopernicus with those settings loads into just over 5000 MB RAM then optimises down to about 4800 MB in the main menu according to Task Manager.

2 hours ago, NoobDude said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but what version of KSP does this mod work with?

Theoretically whatever version Kopernicus works with 

19 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Yes, that's the file. It definitely looks like you are running out of memory.

Try editing the GameData/RSRSS/resolution.cfg file to set the smallest texture files:

KSRSSSETTINGS
{
	textureRes = 4k
	textureVERes = 8k
}

On my system KSP with just KSRSS and Kopernicus with those settings loads into just over 5000 MB RAM then optimises down to about 4800 MB in the main menu according to Task Manager.

Thanks. I tried it and the result is the same unfortunately. It seems I won't be running KSRSS on this machine....

16 hours ago, NoobDude said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but what version of KSP does this mod work with?

Should work fine with 1.9 and later. If your other mods are compatible, I recommend using 1.12.3.

30 minutes ago, Yagron said:

Thanks. I tried it and the result is the same unfortunately. It seems I won't be running KSRSS on this machine....

One more thing you might try before giving up completely - delete the folders

• GameData/KSRSS/Textures/KSRSSVE/32k
  • GameData/KSRSS/Textures/KSRSS/8k
  • GameData/KSRSS/Textures/KSRSS/16k

These shouldn't be getting loaded with that configuration anyway but maybe KSP is being over-eager and pre-loading some of them.

14 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

One more thing you might try before giving up completely - delete the folders

• GameData/KSRSS/Textures/KSRSSVE/32k
  • GameData/KSRSS/Textures/KSRSS/8k
  • GameData/KSRSS/Textures/KSRSS/16k

These shouldn't be getting loaded with that configuration anyway but maybe KSP is being over-eager and pre-loading some of them.

Thats not going to be enough to work as the way KSRSS is set up it still needs to load all of those textures.