[BETA] KSRSS 0.7 - Kerbin (or x2.5) sized RSS

tony48

KSC location for the next release  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Where should the KSC be located?

• Cape Canaveral, Florida (28 degrees North)
    • Kourou, French Guiana (5 degrees North)

After messing around with some of the scatterer versions, I finally found a version where I get atmospheres everywhere else and an atmosphere on mars.

There are some weird glitches in the map view that make shadows around moons but hopefully I will be able to fix that. (It only happens with moons.)unknown.png

Another weird glitch on Mars (maybe other bodies?) that happens when you go below sea level. The ground disappears but you can still land on it. But when you switch to the vessel in the tracking station or maybe reload a quicksave when this glitch happened, the craft falls through the ground and blows up.unknown.png 

Edited by BirdEnthusiastTheSecond

3 hours ago, BirdEnthusiastTheSecond said:

When I have any of the 2 latest versions of scatterer installed, I have atmospheres every where else but not on mars. If I use anything earlier, I only get an atmosphere on mars. I also dont have Sigma Dimensions installed.

KSRSS only supports 0.07XXX Scatterer. Try out KSSRS Reborn if your want to use 0.8XXX Scatterer 

10 hours ago, DA299 said:

What are the differences between KSRSS 0.7 and KSRSS-Reborn(latest pre-release)?

Reborn has Less bloat, is actually optimized, and offers better visuals 

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Is there a forum thread for this yet?

No

@OhioBobI wanted to ask you something. I know you're one of the devs for the JNSQ mod, and that JNSQ has Principia support. I looked at the code on github, and can't figure out how it does this(no CFG files related to principia). Any pointers?

Reason I'm asking is, I'm looking to modify Principia's RSS configs so that it accepts KSRSS as well.

6 hours ago, DA299 said:

@OhioBobI wanted to ask you something. I know you're one of the devs for the JNSQ mod, and that JNSQ has Principia support. I looked at the code on github, and can't figure out how it does this(no CFG files related to principia). Any pointers?

Reason I'm asking is, I'm looking to modify Principia's RSS configs so that it accepts KSRSS as well.

To get Principia to work, you just need to install it.  No config is necessary.  Of course that doesn't mean all the orbits will be stable.  For instance, in JNSQ some of the moon orbits became unstable with Principia installed.  That is, the moons would be ejected out of their initial orbits into interplanetary space.  So when we say JNSQ includes support for Principia, we just mean that some of the orbits had to be modified to assure stability.  These changes are included in the body configs rather than in a Principia config.  As I recall, the bodies that include changes are Mun, Minmus and Bop.  If you look in Minmus.cfg, for example, you'll see two different values for semiMajorAxis, one without Principia installed - NEEEDS[!Principia] - and one with Principia installed - NEEDS[Principia].

Probably all you need to do is install KSRSS with Principia and inspect it to see if everything works and is stable.  If so, then you won't need to do anything.  If not, you'll need to make whatever modifications are necessary to keep bodies in their orbits.

It is my understanding that Principia can also do axial tilt, which I suppose it probably does for RSS.  The axial tilt portion of Principia is something I know nothing about, so I can't advise you about that.

10 hours ago, OhioBob said:

To get Principia to work, you just need to install it.  No config is necessary.  Of course that doesn't mean all the orbits will be stable.  For instance, in JNSQ some of the moon orbits became unstable with Principia installed.  That is, the moons would be ejected out of their initial orbits into interplanetary space.  So when we say JNSQ includes support for Principia, we just mean that some of the orbits had to be modified to assure stability.  These changes are included in the body configs rather than in a Principia config.  As I recall, the bodies that include changes are Mun, Minmus and Bop.  If you look in Minmus.cfg, for example, you'll see two different values for semiMajorAxis, one without Principia installed - NEEEDS[!Principia] - and one with Principia installed - NEEDS[Principia].

Probably all you need to do is install KSRSS with Principia and inspect it to see if everything works and is stable.  If so, then you won't need to do anything.  If not, you'll need to make whatever modifications are necessary to keep bodies in their orbits.

It is my understanding that Principia can also do axial tilt, which I suppose it probably does for RSS.  The axial tilt portion of Principia is something I know nothing about, so I can't advise you about that.

Nah it doesn't seem to work for some reason. I loaded Principia with KSRSS and it still displays the stock planets. That's why I was asking. Anyways, Thanks.

15 hours ago, DA299 said:

Nah it doesn't seem to work for some reason. I loaded Principia with KSRSS and it still displays the stock planets. That's why I was asking. Anyways, Thanks.

Something is definitely not right, but I don't know enough about either KSRSS or Principia to offer any advice.  My only experience with Principia was to install it with my own planet packs just long enough to see if there were any unstable orbits.  I don't recall if there were any tricks in getting it to work.  I do remember that that it's necessary to start a new game, it won't work with an existing save.

Edited by OhioBob

Hi everyone, we are happy to let you know that @ballisticfox0 joined the KSRSS team. We will incorporate what he made for KSRSS-Reborn (Scatterer update, new textures, etc) into KSRSS. Another important change is that KSRSS will now be at 1/4 real scale (JNSQ scale, or ~2.7 times bigger than stock) with 12 hours days. Thanks @OhioBob for the suggestion. A stock scale patch will be available for those who want it.

182252559-516e60e2-3175-449f-8725-7ae2fe

On 8/5/2022 at 7:20 AM, DA299 said:

Don't worry, the next release will have those configs (or soonTM on the gitlab).

6 minutes ago, tony48 said:

Hi everyone, we are happy to let you know that @ballisticfox0 joined the KSRSS team. We will incorporate what he made for KSRSS-Reborn (Scatterer update, new textures, etc) into KSRSS. Another important change is that KSRSS will now be at 1/4 real scale (JNSQ scale, or ~2.7 times bigger than stock) with 12 hours days. Thanks @OhioBob for the suggestion. A stock scale patch will be available for those who want it.

Don't worry, the next release will have those configs (or soonTM on the gitlab).

Great to hear that. I asked around on the Principia thread, and the only real task you have is making an initial state config for Principia. That means, somehow exporting KSRSS planetary data into the six set of values that Principia uses(3 for position, 3 for velocity). Its a fairly tedious task, and that's why I'm talking of writing some kind of MATLAB/ DESMOS program to calculate it. the other things are fairly simple(maybe it will take you ~1 hr). And even then, the position values should be fairly easy(just use RSS's inital state configs and divide by 4). The difficult stuff are the three velocity values. Now, I don't know enough astrodynamics to know what happens to a system when you reduce its size by 4, but that's a problem I'm willing to solve(somehow.) If you need any sort of help with the Principia configs, just dm me.

Another question, is KSRSS-reborn only available with 16k textures? As I downloaded and tried it a while ago, and it doesn't show any adjuster. If so, it is my humble suggestion that please bring the lower res textures back. My PC can run 8k with a ton of mods at around 25-35 fps, but my GPU really sucks, and it bottlenecks when using 16k textures of any sort.

Just now, DA299 said:

If you need any sort of help with the Principia configs, just dm me.

Thanks, the configs are already made (except for Ryugu, 67P and Halley because those aren't in RSS, but I'll figure out how to do it). I made a simple python script to adjust the values.

Just now, DA299 said:

Another question, is KSRSS-reborn only available with 16k textures?

Currently yes, however we are planning to make a "KSRSS Lite" with 8k planet textures and 8k clouds.

5 minutes ago, kerbalboi said:

awesome to see this mod get revived but i have to ask, if i have a bug with  reborn where to a submit it?

You can submit it here on this thread or on the discord (link is in OP) or in an issue on GitLab.

4 hours ago, tony48 said:

The king has returned!

@tony48 I have another suggestion. Right now, the Aurorae in KSRSS are far too low. If you move this layer in the RSSVE cloud configs to a height of 50k to 70k (I use 60k meters) it gives Earth a much more photo-realistic feel. See below(Just for reference, these are with the 8k clouds):

iaqOUGU.png

uCzM5uc.png

lHHZPmL.png

YlmlfV4.png

ufpSDWt.png

I imagine it would be even better if the Aurorae actually had some height to them, instead of being just layers, but I don't know if that is possible or not without EVE's volumetric clouds, so I won't even ask about that. However the above is a pretty simple fix, and probably looks a whole lot better with 32k clouds.

Edited by DA299

20 minutes ago, kerbalboi said:

so on mars im having this weird terrain bug, the pictures are pretty self explanatory, but if you need anymore info i can probably replicate the problem screenshot1089.pngscreenshot1088.pngscreenshot1075.png

Any chance you're using Parallax?

Some first impressions about "reborn" version:

- Updated visuals are great.

- 64k EVE textures seem to be too demanding even for my PC (i7-8086K, RTX2070 8GB, 32GB RAM, Win10 x64) - there is noticeable lag when you zoom in on Earth in tracking station, and the game overall feels much slower.

- Since stuff is bigger now (JNSQ-sized), you'll need slightly more dV. If you tend to build with extra dV "just in case", you should be okay.

- Earth heightmap may need some updating (Florida, for example).